Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 5100's installed and alignment done! I went with the middle setting, still leaves the front 1 1/4 low for a little rake. My old shocks were fairly wore (125,000 kms/78,000 miles) so the difference in ride was pretty substantial.

One thing I noticed is that I now have a hum in the front end, was hoping it was the tires wearing in as my old alignment was out a bit. No such luck, so now I'm worried it's a CV. Gonna duck under a take a look tonight. Could it maybe be a wheel bearing? I had the rears done back around 110,000 kms. I know it's almost inpossible without hearing/seeing, just looking for ideas on where to look. From what I've read I shouldn't need a diff drop, but now I'm reconsidering...

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Truck looks good. If its a wheel bearing and it just started, see if the noise changes when turning left to right! When you load one side and its a bad bearing the noise will change. You can jack it up and watch for any movement!

·
Cereal Killer
20,307 Posts
Hello OP, can you elaborate on "pretty substantial". Firmer, softer, ??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tip on the wheel bearing! I didn't notice any rips in the CV boots, front diff fluid level is good and I'd changed it about 30,000 miles ago. I think I might change it again to see if it makes any difference. Didn't notice any change in the noise when turning left or right and I haven't had a chance to jack it up and take a closer look at the wheel.

But I've been doing some searching and it sounds like I may have the front diff carrier issue. Hopefully not, as my truck is well out of warranty (125,000 kms/78125 miles).

In regards to ride, the front seemed really low and felt like it was diving at times (hard braking, going over large speed bumps/rollers, etc). Now it sits higher, rides firmer, no diving. Just all around better. Not sure how it would compare to new TRD's as mine were pretty wore out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Got my 5100's installed and alignment done! I went with the middle setting, still leaves the front 1 1/4 low for a little rake. My old shocks were fairly wore (125,000 kms/78,000 miles) so the difference in ride was pretty substantial.

One thing I noticed is that I now have a hum in the front end, was hoping it was the tires wearing in as my old alignment was out a bit. No such luck, so now I'm worried it's a CV. Gonna duck under a take a look tonight. Could it maybe be a wheel bearing? I had the rears done back around 110,000 kms. I know it's almost inpossible without hearing/seeing, just looking for ideas on where to look. From what I've read I shouldn't need a diff drop, but now I'm reconsidering...
I also just put 5100s (middle setting) all the way around on 2012 crewmax 4X4 and the front sits higher than back. Thinking about changing it to lowest setting.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also just put 5100s (middle setting) all the way around on 2012 crewmax 4X4 and the front sits higher than back. Thinking about changing it to lowest setting.
Sometimes pictures are deceiving but your front end appears higher than it should with 5100s on the middle setting. I wonder if the perch was installed upside down?

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
???
mine are on the highest setting and still have slight rake

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Let them settle. Mine lowered after a bit of time.

·
Banned
5,396 Posts

What size tires do u have on your truck? Cause if they r bigger/wider than stock getting an alignment could have brought them closer to the uca causing it to rub

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just running stock size Firestone ATs. The whirring noise is only when in 2wd, goes away when I switch into 4x4 just like the TSB says. So this will be a fun fix, lol.

Simspt, definitely looks like a lot of lift for middle setting, take a pic of the shock and spring cup. Something doesn't look right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts