Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

181 - 192 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m new to this site,looks like this is an old post but I’m almost convinced I can actually service my own transmission

·
Registered
15 Posts
Answer your questions. Yes pull paperclip and yes d will go out. Thanks for the add. I went to lowes and got the 2 gal paint bucket with quart intervals. Did it 2 qts at a time

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Thinking about doing this myself. Not because it cost that much more to have it done. I just don't know if I trust the dealer to do it.

Rockauto has the AISIN ATF0WS fluid for a good price.

These are AISIN made trannies that use to come out of an Aisin plant in Durham NC. Not sure if they still do or not but I suspect they do.

What you guys think of the the Aisin ATF0WS fluid?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I got ws fluid for 7 a qt. I used 12 qts. Heard maxlife is good but also ws fluid is proven to go over 400k
Some have lost trannies on Maxlife. I don't want to take the chance.

Fluid life is all about conditions and who is driving how....

Where did you get WS for 7$ a quart? Thanks

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Also, what about the "ATF THERMAL DEGRADATION ESTIMATE RESET" if more than 50 percent of the fluid has been replaced.

What exact does reseting the estimate with techstream do?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also, what about the "ATF THERMAL DEGRADATION ESTIMATE RESET" if more than 50 percent of the fluid has been replaced.

What exact does reseting the estimate with techstream do?

I question how accurate it is, my truck has 30k on it currently. At about 20k I bought a techstream cable and used the software. I noticed at that time the atf thermal degradation estimate number was maxed out at 65535. I reset it because I wanted to see how fast it climbed, with roughly 10k more since zeroing the atf degradation estimate I am already maxed back out at the 65535 number, I did check periodically during this time frame and it was a steady climb back up. It seems 65535 is the highest it goes.

On a warm weekend coming up I plan to do a transmission fluid exchange and will reset the estimate again at that time.

I do occasionally haul a trailer but never anything over 7k and I would say less than 10% of my miles are with trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
After 126,949 miles, I thought it would be a good idea to change my transmission fluid for the 1st time. I should have done it sooner. A relative had a tranny fail on their auto and it made me realize that I’d never changed my fluid. I did tow for about 1,000 miles, but that was much earlier in the trucks life. I researched for weeks using mainly this thread (specifically toyturbodiesel’s 1st post), but every other one I could find on other forums and YouTube videos also.
My Tundra is a 2008 double cab 4WD.

Here is what I learned.
Tools required: 14mm socket for drain plug, 24mm socket for fill plug, allen wrench (I think 5mm, but not sure) for fluid level check plug, Phillips screwdriver for hose clamp on tranny cooler line, standard screwdriver to push in the valve on the thermostat, paperclip to hold thermostat valve open, pliers to loosen existing clamp on same tranny cooler line, floor jack, one jack stand, funnel, 3/8” tubing, 1/2” tubing, drain pan with level markers, 5 gallon bucket, rubber bands & twist ties to hold funnel in place, clamp to hold end of hose in drain pan, ~4” length of thin gauge copper wire, 12 quarts WS fluid.
I got the fluid off eBay for $82.68 (less 15% eBay coupon) + $20.01 shipping = $90.29 delivered.

It was difficult to find a drain pan with level marks on it. I read that someone bought one at Lowes. I went to Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight and Walmart. None of them had one. Finally picked one up for $3 at Auotzone.

One thing I found confusing is that some refer to the automatic transmission fluid as “oil”. I don’t. Motor oil is for the engine. Automatic transmission fluid is for the transmission.

I could have squeezed under my truck without jacking it up, but it would have been painfully uncomfortable. I jacked up the passenger side and supported it with a jack stand. I removed the fill plug, loosened the level check plug and then removed the drain plug. Engine was cold. I read differing accounts of how much fluid comes out when removing the drain plug. Everywhere from 2 – 4 quarts. I had 4 quarts come out and it was still trickling out until I lowered the jack. I guess only 2 quarts come out if you don’t jack up the side? After draining, I put the drain plug back in.
I pushed the valve in on the thermostat with a standard screwdriver and inserted a paperclip to hold it open.
I removed the tranny cooler line from the top of the vehicle (you need the pliers to squeeze open the crimp that holds the hose in place) and attached my ½” hose with a standard hose clamp. I had leaks here every cycle. I suggest you use 2 hose clamps. I also suggest you unwind your hose days before attempting this. I bought 10’ of each diameter hose at Lowes and it came coiled in a tight circle. This was a pain in the ass as it didn’t want to uncoil. You only need about 5’ – 6’ of each hose.

Filled 4 quarts of the new stuff through the 3/8” hose. I used the rubber bands and long twist ties to hold the funnel to my brake fluid reservoir. Some say they used ½” tube for this. Some said ½” was too large. I didn’t try to force the ½” hose in the fill port, but I did hold the end of the hose up to the plug and it looked damn close. If ½” does fit, it must be a tight squeeze.

I started the truck and let fluid flow out into my drain pan, then filled with the same amount that came out. I did this 3 times, while shifting through all the gears while it was draining. 1 = ~3 quarts, 2= ~2.5 quarts, 3 = ~2.25 quarts. Total = ~11.75 quarts.

Now I reconnected the tranny cooler hose and tried using a paper clip to jump terminals 4 & 13 on the OBDII port. This was a bit confusing. The terminals don’t have numbers on them. Make sure you are using the right ones. I had it wrong as the picture I was using was oriented upside down. Just make sure you think about it before you go jamming paper clips up in there. After I was sure I had the correct 2 terminals, I still couldn’t get the truck to go into the tranny temp detection mode. A pulled out the paper clip and used a regular copper wire. The first wire I grabbed was too big and wouldn’t fit in the hole (Yes, that’s what she said). I had to go get another smaller gauge wire and life was good.

Engage parking brake. After getting to the right temp, I quickly opened the level check plug and no fluid drained out. Added last 0.25 quarts and repeat. It started overflowing out. Cap it off, pull paperclip out of thermostat, remove wire from OBDII port, put fill plug back in and done.
At least in my mind, the truck shifts smoother than before.

Several small details here that I never read in my research.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I just did the flush today. Worked out perfect. I got some clear hose at Home Depot for the fill.

Attachments

181 - 192 of 192 Posts