Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,
My first post here..
I just traded in my 2006 Tundra Double Cab for a 2013 Tundra Rock Warrior..

I LOVE the truck but I was hoping for a little better fuel mileage:(

I have been driving about as easy on the gas as possible and my 1st tank I got 13.58 miles per gallon,and my 2nd tank I got 13.05...
I filled up first, then ran a tank and wrote down my miles,then filled up again and divided my miles in the gallons I put in.....

so my question is do these trucks improve at all after they are fully broken in?? or is this basically what i'm going to get???

1/2 of my miles are on the highway going to work and the other half is your basic city driving.....

thanks all...I was just wondering??

I really am impressed with this truck !!!!!
I'm just a bit worried whats going to happen to my MPG when I start driving normal(i really have been as light on the gas as i possibly can be)

thanks again :)

p.s. i'm liking the new truck A LOT more than I expected :)
I already ordered the info buttons thanks to this website :)
I installed some black GO Rhino Dominator 2 stepbars :)
also bought the new Husky Weatherbeater floor liners..They fit REALLY nice and they do go over the sill in the front :)..and they did have the holes for the hold down thingy's on the drivers side :)

next i'm going to level it with some Bilstein 5100's(are people having trouble with these breaking on our trucks?? )

·
Registered
256 Posts
Mine hasn't changed since I bought it, doubt if it ever will. Averaging almost 17 mpg day in day out. Not a lot of stop lights or hills where I drive so would judge it 65% highway 35% around town.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Some report slightly improved mpg after breaking it in.

There doesn't seem to be anything to worry about in your case. The city driving is where the fuzziness comes in? What sort of city driving is it? My city has signal light or stop sign basically every other intersection and each block is only several hundred feet. So the 'city driving' really sucks (less than 10 mpg).

Take your truck out on an extended highway drive. If you baby it, you should get over 17 easily. If you are still getting around 13, then you could try to find out what the issue might be. Otherwise, enjoy your truck.

Reactions: TundraTigger

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thanks for the replies :)

my city driving is basic Connecticut driving..(NOT city driving like NYC)
small towns with lights,stop signs, and your normal New England elevation changes...

nothing too crazy at all..

the fact that over 50% is highway, and my mileage is still only 13MPG is what has me somewhat concerned??

if this is as good as it gets I will live with it:)
to be honest my 4.7 didn't do all that much better...

·
Registered
577 Posts
how are you calculating the MPG's?

could it be a calculation error.

I'm getting between 15-15.5 average per tank (hand calculated). about 80% highway. on some 35's. :p

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
naaaa I don't believe I made any mistakes calculating??

I would fill up my tank..

then reset my trip A(on my odometer)..

then fill up at the exact same gas station..

then divide the gallons I just put into my tank into the mileage on my trip A..

is there a better way(more accurate way) of doing this?

thanks again everyone

for example...my latest tank I had exactly 247.4 on my trip and I put exactly 18.95 gallons to fill it up again...my gauge was on 1/8th tank already..

I honestly could NOT drive any easier on the gas either :(

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
I know you say you are driving "as easy as possible" but make sure to watch it off the line. To really optimize MPG in these trucks you need to feather it through the first 3 gears...I mean, feather it like the people behind you are riding your ass type of thing.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Mine hasn't changed since I bought it, doubt if it ever will. Averaging almost 17 mpg day in day out. Not a lot of stop lights or hills where I drive so would judge it 65% highway 35% around town.
I get that average too.

Now if it is strictly highway it is better. Just remember you have bigger tires and a leveled truck with the RW. One reason I didn't get one, but I have a jeep to offroad.

·
Registered
807 Posts
If that's bad wait till you put level kit and larger tires....lol!

·
Registered
415 Posts
whats your typical shift point?

I will feather my gas off the line so the tranny is shifting between 2000-2500 ... most optimal if you wanna save gas. (Wish manual Tundras were available)

Im around 16.5 on avg with 50% city and 50% country roads

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think the most important factor to getting decent mileage is to try to think ahead and coast to a stop whenever possible. Anytime you hit the brakes you are wasting energy.
See a traffic light change to yellow 100 yards in front of you then lift off the gas and coast. Makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I got a new RW too - I'm alittle better than that. I run my tires 48psi, got AFE drop in Filter and try and run PURE GAS. I can pull 17+ all day on the scangauge on the hwy (no headwind) and 15 in town.

Do you run the AC? Turn the adjuster to off the windows (defrost) and kill the fan..I think the compressor runs weither its the AC is on or not and it kills the mileage..infact I see the drag on the SCANguage - Anyone know how to jump the compressor to not run on these trucks? Thats good for 1+mpg right there. Did it on my old Taco

·
Registered
2 Posts
Almost the same

I also just went from an 06 Tundra 4wd to a 13 Tundra 4wd ( double cab on both). If you have the instant gas mileage meter watch it, you will see where the bad MPG areas are. I have learned or at least notices that if I back off just a hair when going up the overpass ramp I can keep my mileage up a lot at least at that point in time. If I don't back off a hair it can drop to ~7 MPG just going over an overpass. My trip to work kills mine because I have to go over about a zillion overpasses in 27 miles. If I get onto flat ground the meter slowly rises.
My 1 st tank was 13.4, last ( maybe 6th tank ) was 13.95. My 06 was averaging 15 back and forth to work so I am only loosing ~ 20 miles overall distance per tank. If I think of it this way it doesn't hurt as much :)

·
Banned
513 Posts
My truck is at 12.7 mpg for the life of it, towing my 4000lb boat it gets 11mpg at best and most of the time gets 9-10mpg. City itll stay around 15-16 depending how much traffic. Highway I've seen it as high as 19.5 at 60mph and usually around 16-17.5mpg driving the 70-75mph speed limit... all depends on the highway, winds, hills, and amount of passing you do.

These trucks are beasts, but they don't sip the fuel.

·
"A Man Needs A Maid"
1,277 Posts
Stop figuring out you MPG. Fill it up when it's empty. Problem solved.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Stop figuring out you MPG. Fill it up when it's empty. Problem solved.
Probably the BEST advice I've seen on all MPG threads... just give up.. you have a 5.7L under the hood :cool:

·
Registered
607 Posts
My average is 14.78. I live in the mountains. I have a heavy foot at times and I like to hear the exhaust. When it is empty, I fill it. I have nearly 400HP, if I had to ask what the mileage was, I likely could not afford to own it. The only reason I track it is I like to see trends.... if it starts dropping off, I look at what is wrong.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts