Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been largely silent since my last post a few weeks ago, but as OP of the 5.7 FlexFuel alcohol sensor thread, I feel obligated to give an update.

Price LeBlanc called me Saturday afternoon, and said that manufacturer had a re-flash available for the truck. I scheduled an appointment for this morning. Just had it completed. According to multiple people in the service department this is supposed to be a fix; not a workaround, or temporary Band-Aid, but a permanent solution.

I was the first person to have this performed, so there is no saying if it works long term or not. I was going to be scheduling a reset because the problem was rearing it's ugly head again. I can say my engine felt strong and sounded great on start up. I sure as hell hope this is a permanent fix.

To test, I am going to floor my truck right after fill up, not let it idle for 7 minutes, etc. Do everything the manual says not to do and see what happens. Let's see if I can drive my truck the way I want to and have it perform to the level it should.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
623 Posts
What is the reflash supposed to do? I have a 2012 5.7 4wd that is a flex fuel and have never and will never run flex fuel in it

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
The ECU programming was incorrectly causing the normal fuel (E10) to be detected as having high percentages of ethanol like you were running some E85 when in reality you weren't. This was causing horrible performance problems due to incorrect fuel ratios. This flash is supposed to correct the problem.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Damn do you have to pay for this flash? And I wanna get it done to mine.I wanna see if it doesn't something to mine

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Yeah, Don't use that E85 it's just awe full! LMAO!
It's happening to guys that have never run e85, the system is just incorrectly thinking you are and adjusting the fuel map to compensate for that crap e85 fuel.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No charge. This has been a big problem for 2012 models, but surprisingly the dealer has told me other model years were not affected. Kinda find that hard to believe....

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
To be honest, my truck ('10) since I have been using torque app and obdII bluetooth dongle-a-bobb I haven't passed 10%. I still dunno why some tanks it runs and sounds like a raped ape then some tanks it sounds normal... weird.

I am pretty sure this is just a newer model year issue.

·
Registered
118 Posts
So should all dealerships have this new flash available now or will this take a while for it to get to me here in MS.

·
Registered
925 Posts
when I bring my truck in again for service I am going to ask for the flash. In fact i may just go ahead and go to Price Leblanc since they already have the flash and has used it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts