Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ordered the complete kit for my 5.7 FFV late last year during the Black Friday Sale and finally found the time to do the install last week.

My thoughts...
First...it took two full days by myself and having a couple of friends drop by simply to help with the heavy step of lifting and setting the unit in the engine bay. Could I have done it quicker...yes, but I am pretty methodical and double/triple check every thing when doing jobs similar to this.

Second...Every component in this kit is quality down to the nuts, bolts, zip ties and nylon sleeves for the hoses etc...and the instructions are comprehensive and complete covering every step along the way.

Third...The Bully Dog while not my tuner of choice, updated and installed the ECU tune with no issues and the truck runs great. Using the Gauges feature on the BD and my racing buddies LM-2 for AFR ratio's everything looks Happy fuel and timing related.

As i drive the truck more, I will pay more attention to how the transmission shifts under different circumstances and report back. My first impression is that the truck drives much like it did stock, until it starts to make boost and puts you back into the seat :)

I Added the SC mostly to enhance the already impressive towing ability of the truck, as this is primarily my tow rig(see sig). The added performance and ability to surprise a few cars is just a bonus. That said, if I really want to get out and raise a little hell I pull the Shelby out of the garage :)

I would purchase and install this again without a second thought.

Regards,
R

EDIT 4/20/2017 Took her out Test driving again last night. In town, on the highway using cruise and not using cruise. Did a few 3/4 throttle pulls with Auto LSD On. Focusing mostly on how it drove and shifted under different circumstances. The transmission drives and shifted between gears much like it did stock. Auto LSD On and Tow/Haul mode engaged seem to provide the most satisfying strait line performance so far.

EDIT 4/21/2017 My 17 year old son picked me up on the other side of town with the truck last night and I had the chance to ride shotgun and listen and feel the way the truck drove from a different perspective. Strong and smooth power during normal driving with just a hint of SC whine before the boost actually comes on. The transmission shifted normally doing nothing unexpected. My son says..."I really like the way the truck drives now dad"...Imagine That!

EDIT 4/23/2017 Over the weekend I got a chance to put some more miles on the truck and do a couple of WOT Pulls. The truck runs and drives great, and the BD tune seems spot on. My review is complete, and I am a satisfied Magnuson customer.

EDIT 5/29/2017 Finally got to take the Toyhauler and loaded rig out for a long weekend. 300 miles up in NE Iowa. Shifter in D and Tow Haul mode engaged. Mostly rolling terrain and some 6-8% grade hills. 55-60mph average speed. On the steep hills the truck will downshift to fourth gear and simply pull. The whine the supercharger makes pulling a hill at 2700rpm/60mph and not even breaking a sweat is awesome. Had a diesel Ford following me through the steep stuff to get to the campground, and he was real interested in what that half ton Toyota had under the hood afterwards. I played innocent and told him it was stock :)

EDIT 6/5/2017 Yet an even longer trip across northeast Iowa and across the driftless area of Wisconsin and all the way up to Elk Hart Lake for the MotoAmerica Superbike races and a track day for myself. This thing continues to amaze me in the hills...it just pulls and when you get to the steep stuff it simply shifts down into 4th and proceeds to not even work hard doing it. Honestly I find myself having to gradually lift off the fuel pedal when it pulls a 6-8% grade as the rig just keeps accelerating, and I'm already holding my speed if I want to. I find there is a sweet spot around 2000-2200rpm in 5th gear it pulls almost all of the rolling hills with ease. My MPG for this trip included 5 tanks of fuel with a low of 7.4mpg and a high of 8.1mpg running at 60-65mph. The truck computer was a bit lower seeing 7.1mpg and 7.6mpg

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ordered the complete kit for my 5.7 FFV late last year during the Black Friday Sale and finally found the time to do the install last week.

My thoughts...
First...it took two full days by myself and having a couple of friends drop by simply to help with the heavy step of lifting and setting the unit in the engine bay. Could I have done it quicker...yes, but I am pretty methodical and double/triple check every thing when doing jobs similar to this.

Second...Every component in this kit is quality down to the nuts, bolts, zip ties and nylon sleeves for the hoses etc...and the instructions are comprehensive and complete covering every step along the way.

Third...The Bully Dog while not my tuner of choice, updated and installed the ECU tune with no issues and the truck runs great. Using the Gauges feature on the BD and my racing buddies LM-2 for AFR ratio's everything looks Happy fuel and timing related.

As i drive the truck more, I will pay more attention to how the transmission shifts under different circumstances and report back. My first impression is that the truck drives much like it did stock, until it starts to make boost and puts you back into the seat :)

I Added the SC mostly to enhance the already impressive towing ability of the truck, as this is primarily my tow rig(see sig). The added performance and ability to surprise a few cars is just a bonus. That said, if I really want to get out and raise a little hell I pull the Shelby out of the garage :)

I would purchase and install this again without a second thought.

Regards,
R
Glad to hear some good feedback. MAG SC and BD Tuner is being installed on my 2017 FFV tomorrow. Were did you end up installing the BD Tuner if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to hear some good feedback. MAG SC and BD Tuner is being installed on my 2017 FFV tomorrow. Were did you end up installing the BD Tuner if you don't mind me asking?
I dont plan on doing a permanent install of the BD. Its plugged in and attached to the windshield with the supplied mount for now. Once I am satisfied with my post install testing, it will go into a drawer in the garage for storage.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks for the write up, MrMax! I too am considering this setup for my '14 FFV CM to get a little more oomph for towing. Do you have any towing impressions yet? What're the specs on your camper?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have not used the truck to tow anything since the install so i cannot comment yet, But I anticipate a nicer towing experience based upon the performance of the un-laden truck post install. The truck has always done a great job towing my toyhauler. Power wise stock it pulled better than my last truck DRW Crew Cab F350 4x4 V10 w/ 4.30:1 axles.

As for my rig specs...

Average Weight (lbs.)
Hitch Weight (lbs.)
Cargo Capacity (lbs.)

I know...I know...the weight police may be along to enlighten me now :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
So far put a 1000miles on mine and I love it. Not a single issue. Added the extra 2 years of warranty coverage with Magnuson for the 5year/60K coverage for the extra $475. I've been smoking Raptors, Turbo Diesels, Power Jokes no problem. No experience towing yet but I'M bound to get a boat by next summer.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Have not used the truck to tow anything since the install so i cannot comment yet, But I anticipate a nicer towing experience based upon the performance of the un-laden truck post install. The truck has always done a great job towing my toyhauler. Power wise stock it pulled better than my last truck DRW Crew Cab F350 4x4 V10 w/ 4.30:1 axles.

As for my rig specs...

Average Weight (lbs.)
Hitch Weight (lbs.)
Cargo Capacity (lbs.)

I know...I know...the weight police may be along to enlighten me now :)
Haha, as long as you don't go flashing those specs around the Hauling threads they prob won't find you ;) I'm kicking myself for not buying the camper I really wanted, about the size of the one you have, but I got freaked out by all the admonishments of some of the more experienced Tundra hauling guys from that area of the forums. Plus the Tundra struggles a little bit in the mountain roads with the 22' toy hauler I have now, so I'll look forward to hearing your feedback how it does with forced induction.

And I know everyone's baseline mpg is different, but what kind of differences in % for regular driving have you seen? I'll be super curious to hear how it affects your towing mpg, too. Did you get the Mag warranty, too?

·
Registered
332 Posts
So far put a 1000miles on mine and I love it. Not a single issue. Added the extra 2 years of warranty coverage with Magnuson for the 5year/60K coverage for the extra $475. I've been smoking Raptors, Turbo Diesels, Power Jokes no problem. No experience towing yet but I'M bound to get a boat by next summer.
Awesome! And I see that you're in Flagstaff - I'm in Payson. Who did your install? And how has the S/C affected your mpg's?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Haha, as long as you don't go flashing those specs around the Hauling threads they prob won't find you ;) I'm kicking myself for not buying the camper I really wanted, about the size of the one you have, but I got freaked out by all the admonishments of some of the more experienced Tundra hauling guys from that area of the forums. Plus the Tundra struggles a little bit in the mountain roads with the 22' toy hauler I have now, so I'll look forward to hearing your feedback how it does with forced induction.

And I know everyone's baseline mpg is different, but what kind of differences in % for regular driving have you seen? I'll be super curious to hear how it affects your towing mpg, too. Did you get the Mag warranty, too?
I will update this post again mid summer after a get a couple of longer trips towing with the truck/toy hauler. I only average 3-5K per year on my truck as it is primarily my tow rig. I drive my company car 5-6 days a week usually and have the Shelby and a dozen bikes to get miles on for recreation. If its not hauling Kayaks, Firewood or the toy hauler she sits.

No towing mileage reports as of yet. The first tank went fast mostly for testing reasons and enjoying the new found power(12.4mpg Mixed). Second tank seems like it may have improved slightly with milder regular driving(13.8 Mixed), but I find it hard to keep my foot out of it :) I had to smoke a turbo Cummins when I was in town the other day, after he egged me on at a stop light, the truck has more power than I have tire as my biggest challenge was having to pedal it to not spin. As for towing my 11K GVWR toyhauler, the truck has always done a great job of it. Ive been up and down the hills and valleys of NE Iowa and SW Wisconsin as well as out in the black Hills SD and never felt like I needed more truck. I have been pulling campers, car haulers, fire wood, etc as long as I can remember and its never a race for me. I start off the line easy and rarely tow any faster than 60-65mph. I get my best mileage at around 55-60mph(9-11mpg) because the fuel mileage drops fast after 65mph(8-9mpg). The truck itself tows nicely at 70+mph(7-8mpg) on the level/rolling stuff, BUT the fuel tank starts to feel really small and the stops more frequent :) On longer trips I always make sure my 30gal transfer tank is topped off on the toyhauler.

AS for the Mag warranty I went with the standard 3 year, as the difference in mileage for me between 3 and 5 years wasn't enough to justify the additional cost. If I did the normal average of 12-15K per year with my truck the two extra years would have been worth it.

EDIT: My Mpg numbers above are hand calculated. My Truck computer seems to calculate about 5% higher.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Findlay Toyota in Flagstaff did the install. My truck was their first Magnuson SC install but they've installed plenty of TRD SC's. They did the TRD SC on one of my previous Tundra's. So far I'm averaging about 13mpg. Most of the 1000 miles I put on the SC have been back and forth to Phoenix several times. So the MPG back up the hill to Flag would go down to about 12MPG. On those trips back and forth I would be driving an average of 80-85mph. Most of the driving around town is stop and go between 15-35mph. So either way not the best way to determine an accurate MPG yet. Not to mention the battery terminal has been disconnected a few times resetting the average MPGs. I'll report back in another couple of tanks of gas if any increase or decrease in MPGs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been prowling the supercharger threads and looking at Magnuson's website. I was wondering if any of you financed the SC or just bought it outright. I don't really have a spare 7k lying around for a toy for my toy. If you have financed, what were the terms? Were they relatively decent? I have a fairly nice credit score, north of 720, so I'd imagine i would get one of the better deals. Anyone have any experience in that department?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been prowling the supercharger threads and looking at Magnuson's website. I was wondering if any of you financed the SC or just bought it outright. I don't really have a spare 7k lying around for a toy for my toy. If you have financed, what were the terms? Were they relatively decent? I have a fairly nice credit score, north of 720, so I'd imagine i would get one of the better deals. Anyone have any experience in that department?
I generally follow one of my fathers many rules of life...and pay cash for toys myself. Your question may receive a larger audience in the Magnuson sub-forum this thread resides in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I paid cash for mine. I wouldn't finance it with the vehicle since if you were to ever have your truck stolen or totaled insurance wont cover it most likely. Not to mention you'd still be responsible for the difference financed vs what the insurance would pay out...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts