Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 TRD with high mileage, and assuming the transmission will need to be replaced in the not too distant future. Only complaint is that two wheel drive version cant handle mud let alone anything else more challenging. when the trans gets replaced I am thinking of going to 4x4, has anyone converted from 4x2 to 4x4 - im assuming that we are looking at the trans & front drive. and a few other upgrades. Thoughts and advice ( even if the thought is hey your a dumb ass!! let me know why/ what im missing )

·
Registered
116 Posts
I haven't seen a Tundra converted, but have read of a few Tacomas being changed from 4x2 to 4x4. Generally speaking, unless you are looking for something beyond what the factory offered, say, a solid front axle, it is almost always beneficial to see the 2wd and buy a 4wd. It'll be better sorted out than if you just try to start exchanging parts.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
If you have a donor vehicle, it would be doable. With that said, it will be a big job.

Much more easier to just sell the 2 wheel drive and buy a 4 x 4.

Please do the math. How much is your time worth? The difference in price of the 2 vehicle would easily offset the price of my time.

Reactions: theoat

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey Old TRD,

I had a similar dilemma last year, my old 2007 SR5 was 2wd and got me stuck a few times when i could've really used 4wd. I looked at adding an arb air locker or salvaging a 4x4 system from a scrap yard but the cost was just $$$$. A good wheel and tire combo will get you farther than you realize with just 2wd.

I ended up selling my 2007 and bought a 2017 platinum in February with 4x4. If I had chosen to go 2wd I could've saved 3-4K
But I didn't and I've already used the 4x4 system and want to upgrade it down the line.

·
Premium Member
15,631 Posts
Hey Old TRD,

I had a similar dilemma last year, my old 2007 SR5 was 2wd and got me stuck a few times when i could've really used 4wd. I looked at adding an arb air locker or salvaging a 4x4 system from a scrap yard but the cost was just $$$$. A good wheel and tire combo will get you farther than you realize with just 2wd.

I ended up selling my 2007 and bought a 2017 platinum in February with 4x4. If I had chosen to go 2wd I could've saved 3-4K
But I didn't and I've already used the 4x4 system and want to upgrade it down the line.
my previous 2wd truck was on 35's and had the arb locker. still doesnt even hold a candle to the 4x4
yeah my 2wd got me pretty much everywhere the 4x4s went but hell, i did the same trails in sedona i did last time with 2wd in 4wd, night and day, just effortless where as the 2wd took a lot of skinny pedal and a lot of abuse to get up the same trails.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.