Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to engage my 4wd hi today and when I engaged it there was a popping noise that could be heard and felt in the steering wheel with every rotation of the wheel. Sounds like its coming from the pass side. No sound or issues in 2wd. I engaged 4wd hi on a dirt road at about 15 mph. Anybody know what it could be? Im going to be severely irritated if my transfer case or axles are f*ck#d.

Mods up front = Camburg long travel w/ RCV axles

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you let off the gas when engaging it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
yes, popping noise is not from the engagement of the 4wd. I have used my 4wd plenty in the past to know what the normal engagement feels like. This was as though something was binding up with every full rotation of the wheel/axle.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
There might not have been enough slip in their for it to work without binding/popping. 4wds are pretty delicate it seems.

-rockstate

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There might not have been enough slip in their for it to work without binding/popping. 4wds are pretty delicate it seems.

-rockstate
it would pop with every rotation of the tire/axle, not just initially. I only travelled at slow speed and for about 7-10 seconds. Long enough to know it wasnt normal and it wasnt going to stop.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What could be making the popping noise? Could something be binding up somewhere?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
anyone have a schematic of the transfer case and front diff?

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
sounds like cv bad, if this is a new issue after the front suspension install they might have pulled the shaft out too far and disengaged the cv...

I am not familiar with LT front with the RCV axles. Maybe too long of travel, like getting air and the shaft wasn't actually long enough??

It sounds like when someone does an install and pulls too far and pops the actual cv joint apart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts