Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 tundra with 65k, small v8. My check engine light has been on for two months, code pulls up aip. Today I started it and 4lo in blinking and traction control light on… won’t get out of its own way…. Any ideas

·
Registered
263 Posts
You have a air injection pump (AIP) system failure. There is a bypass kit you can buy to fix it. Or, Toyota can fix it, but if this is not under warranty, it will be outrageously expensive (like more than $2000). They did have an extended warranty on the AIP failures but I am not sure if that would still be available. It was something like a 10 yr 100K warranty.

There are a few kits out there. One is the Hewitt-Tech Gen-11 bypass. It costs about $250 to buy.

There is a thread in here where a group figured this all out and designed a kit that does the same thing for the cost of some wires, a resistor, and a relay. The kit essentially fools the computer into thinking the outside air temperature is below freezing during start up which disables the system from operating. So, once you have the codes cleared, the system never runs again and the problem never happens again. The original group figured out the solution for the 5.7L. I was the first to try it on a 2007 4.7L and it worked exactly the same as the 5.7L. I am sure the 4.6L is the same also.

Here is what causes the failure. In a normal OEM Air Pump system, on a cold engine start when the temperature outside is above about 40 deg F (approximately, I don't remember exactly, but a little above freezing), the exhaust air injection valves open and an air pump runs for about 30 seconds to pump air into the exhaust to dilute the exhaust so it can pass a ppm test to meet an EPA standard. Once the engine has run for a few seconds to a minute, the pump turns off and the air valves close. The fault happens if one of the air valve does not open, the pump does not run, or one of the air valves do not close. The pump on and off and the air valves opening all happen at startup. The only fault that can happen after the first minute of operation is if the system detects one of the valves are stuck open.

If Toyota will fix it under warranty, I would have them fix it. If not, I would get the kit and install it. It is not hard to install.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts