Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

x_y_of_z_posts

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a 2017 DC TRD OR i bought just about a year ago. Took it off roading this summer in CO, but it was pretty much just a rough gravel road. That;s the extent of the 4x4'ing I have done with the truck. I did put a 2.5" front and 2" rear lift kit on, but did not use a diff drop kit. The CV angles didn't look too bad and haven't had any issues with CV boots ever since installation. After I put the lift on, I had an alignment done and all was well.

However, a few weeks ago, I hit snow while going over wolf creek pass in CO and turned the 4x4 Hi on and got a nasty clunking from the front drivers side front end. While engaging the 4x4, I was stopped and slowly crept forward until the transfer case kicked in. While moving slow, there was no noise, but anything above about 3-4MPH, the noise was nasty and I could feel it shaking the truck and shaking the steering wheel quite violently.

I immediately took it to a dealer in Durango and they scheduled an inspection and determined the front left CV axle was bad. They replaced it under warranty, and we all thought everything was good. I tried the 4x4 while in the parking lot and there didn't appear to be any noise. drove about 1200 miles back to IA and hit snow when I got back. Turned on the 4x4 and the same sound happened. Exact same symptoms from the same side.

Could the CV axle be bad again already??? Is it because I don't have a diff drop kit? I have one to install, but just haven't done it. I have also never lubricated the front driveshaft (not even sure if there are any lube points on it). I have however had all service done by Toyota and always baby my vehicles. Currently drives fine in 4x2, but i want to get this issue fixed ASAP.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just an FYI for anyone whose looking for answers or has experienced similar issues regarding this topic.

This last weekend, I ended up removing the lift/leveling kit. And lone behold, the noise completely disappeared. 4-HI and 4-LOW now works at any speed. This is with the replacement CV axle that was making noise only a week after being installed.

If you have any questions regarding this, let me know. What i learned from all this.... wait until after the warranty is up to touch this stuff. Or get your dealer to install a lift/leveling kit that they are still willing to cover under warranty. Live and learn.

x_y_of_z_posts