Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have a 14 Tundra 5.7 4x4 with a dealer installed lift and 35" tall toyo mt. My sc is being installed sometime in the next couple of weeks.

I don't know if the dealer did something, but I can't feel any lag or gear hunting. Probably a dumb question, but (besides counting gear changes, is there a digital display of the current gear somewhere? Does anyone actually have the specs for the transmission gear ratios?

Does anyone know if the gear swapped would effect the warranty on the truck?

I am gonna ask the dealer, but didn't want to be ignorant about what I could expect.

Thanks!

·
Registered
642 Posts
I paid right at 2,000 shipped for my nitro gears with master install kits for both front and rear diffs and an auburn LSD for the rear. My truck has the 4.6L as well.

I am getting my stuff installed as we speak and it was hard to find a place in central texas that i felt comfortable with or that would even take the work on, but i found one in austin. Ballpark quote was 1300 ~ for install

·
Banned
189 Posts
I have mixed feelings about the gears. I definitely got my "power" back down low for sure. And it rides great. However, the biggest reason I wanted them was for highway mileage and I either don't notice any difference at all. Or it may even actually be worse on the highway than before the gear install. I had a transmission shop over in Coral Springs do the install for me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The 4.88 gears are better for more technical driving, not the highway my man.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
The 4.88 gears are better for more technical driving, not the highway my man.
That's an old post. I've since installed a speedo calibrator and my highway mileage is wayyyy better with the gears.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
our trucks actually de-tune themselves if they sense extra load. One of the biggest factors the ecu considers is mass air meter reading v wheel speed. Slowing down wheel speed and adding more air (stepping on the gas more because of the big tires) causes the truck to think there is more load than there actually is. The truck pulls timing and adds fuel, either thing is very bad for economy.

·
Registered
469 Posts
After the install of 4.88 and an Auburn Gear I get a constant whine unless I am coasting. Is this a problem? Do I need to take it back and get it rechecked? What do I tell them to adjust? Maybe this is why mine does't feel as quick as the 4.30 ?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don't know if it is true, but a local gear shop, with an excellent reputation, said the Tundra gears need a little bit more finesse to get right. He will regear my truck, but he doesn't like working on Toyotas.

He is really my only option in my area. He regears everything from small trucks to tractors and has a solid business, so I am inclined to believe him. However, I don't understand why a Tundra 9.5/10.5 requires further work to setup the gears correctly.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts