Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are you guys getting them installed? A specialty shop or just any reputable transmission shop?

·
Registered
526 Posts
As long as they guarantee their work, I would think any shop with R&P experience would work.

The biggest issue is setting lash. If they get it wrong, it eats the gears until they are totally destroyed. You'll probably be able to hear that coming before they get too bad.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Any update to how you like the gears? I am looking at getting them in my 2011. I am here in So. FLA as well. Who did you end up using? I am very interested in how you like them!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any update to how you like the gears? I am looking at getting them in my 2011. I am here in So. FLA as well. Who did you end up using? I am very interested in how you like them!
I have mixed feelings about the gears. I definitely got my "power" back down low for sure. And it rides great. However, the biggest reason I wanted them was for highway mileage and I either don't notice any difference at all. Or it may even actually be worse on the highway than before the gear install. I had a transmission shop over in Coral Springs do the install for me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I have mixed feelings about the gears. I definitely got my "power" back down low for sure. And it rides great. However, the biggest reason I wanted them was for highway mileage and I either don't notice any difference at all. Or it may even actually be worse on the highway than before the gear install. I had a transmission shop over in Coral Springs do the install for me.

Bummer:(

Are you hand calculating the mileage with a GPS? Reason I ask, I'm running 4.88 in my 1 gen with 31.5" tall tires. I know that's very aggressive gearing for such a tiny tire, but if I keep it below 75 on the highway I actually get 16mpg. Not bad for a pre runner with absolutely no aerodynamics left.

That said, I'd think the 2gen should be even better with a full decade of improvements made to the engine over my 1gen??

·
Premium Member
3 Posts

I am so on the fence when it comes to changing the gears to a 4.88 ratio. I am getting a 6" Pro-Comp Lift Kit, 35" Pro-Comp Xtreme A/T tires and 20" LRG 104's rims next week. I was thinking of doing the gears at the same time but I am thinking I am going to wait to see how the truck runs and if the gears are actually needed. Thanks for your info.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bummer:(

Are you hand calculating the mileage with a GPS? Reason I ask, I'm running 4.88 in my 1 gen with 31.5" tall tires. I know that's very aggressive gearing for such a tiny tire, but if I keep it below 75 on the highway I actually get 16mpg. Not bad for a pre runner with absolutely no aerodynamics left.

That said, I'd think the 2gen should be even better with a full decade of improvements made to the engine over my 1gen??
I didn't hand calculate. I just based off what I saw on the gauge and what I'm averaging in Fuelly. I know I know. Not the most accurate. I also haven't calibrated my speedo for the lift yet either. Hoping to do that with the BD Tuner :)

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Any new opinions on the 4.88 gears now that you had them for a while? I am still contemplating on having them done.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have the tow package gearing and I am just now starting to get my lift togeather.Procomp 6 inch icon or bdsfox still researching but any case going with 35s.With 35s would you need the new gearing?A 35 will hardly be off on the speedo.Well mine is about 6mph over with stock tires so maybe it will be right on.But in any case staying tuned in would like to here ever ones thoughts just in case before I install the lift.

·
Registered
361 Posts
With 35's you will definitely want to go with 4.88's

It's the single most noticeable thing u can do when gong that big on tire size.
I am still a little up in the air about it.I have the 5.7l with 4.30 gear ratio.If I go with a 4.88 on 35s I will be geared lower than I am now with factory gearing wont I.Going from a 32 ish inch factory wheel to a 35 is the thresh hold that the speedo and shift points should not be affected.Maybe 5mph.Im not exactly sure have not done the math but 10% increase on tire size should not need to be recalibrated I think from what I read in the lift directions.

Reactions: dirtydeeds
1 - 20 of 54 Posts