Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i heard a rumor that all 4.7L's have the TRD performance catalytic converters...not sure if this is true...I do not have the TRD package so I was just wondering. I changed out the stock muffler with a Magnaflow series 40 muffler and new pipes, but didn't get chance to ask about the cats. Anyone know? It is also my understanding that changing out the muffler alone will not give me much, if any at all, improvement on performace (just sound) unless I was to upgrade the cats as well...true??

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I dont think there "performance TRD cats" however the tundra's cats are already fairly high flow for stock. The exhaust is the same way, for a stock configuration toyota did a good job of designing it, thats not saying there isn't room for improvement.

You are however correct that a new muffler isn't going to add any power alone, it needs to be combined with a high flow exhaust system. But a performance exhaust isn't going to give a noticeable power boost. If power is what you want buy an intake and save the exhaust for later.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think there "performance TRD cats" however the tundra's cats are already fairly high flow for stock. The exhaust is the same way, for a stock configuration toyota did a good job of designing it, thats not saying there isn't room for improvement.

You are however correct that a new muffler isn't going to add any power alone, it needs to be combined with a high flow exhaust system. But a performance exhaust isn't going to give a noticeable power boost. If power is what you want buy an intake and save the exhaust for later.
hey thanks for the info...I've been looking at a couple different intakes...most seem to be around $250 - 300+...only seem to find actual reviews on Tundras for the aFe and Volants though so I am not sure which direction I want to go. I've heard it's possible to find a cheaper non-name brand intake and slap a K & N filter on it and it does virtually the same thing for a fraction of the cost...any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
hey thanks for the info...I've been looking at a couple different intakes...most seem to be around $250 - 300+...only seem to find actual reviews on Tundras for the aFe and Volants though so I am not sure which direction I want to go. I've heard it's possible to find a cheaper non-name brand intake and slap a K & N filter on it and it does virtually the same thing for a fraction of the cost...any thoughts?
Well you cant really go wrong with AFE or Volant, TRD intakes are also pretty commonly used. Im running and AFE now and love it.

As far as K&N goes when i was shopping for intakes my buddy thats a service manager at my yota dealer told me to stay way from them. He said the oils from the K&N filter can clog up the MAF sensor giving the truck a false air flow reading, setting of engine codes and hurting performance. But im sure thousands have used K&N with no problems.

You could always buy a no-namer like you said and put a better quality filer on it. The choice is ultimately yours. My only problem with doing a cheaper intake is its a pretty vital part of the engine, i have to say an intake is just one place i don't wanna save money. Im just more comfortable buying something others have tried first and i know is going to work. Rather than taking a gamble and having something damage my engine.

-Red

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,231 Posts
the afe cai can be had on amazon for about $135.00 plus shipping.

Opulence, I has it.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,231 Posts
I just went to amazon and can't find the same deal I got on June 23rd.

# Shipping Speed: FREE Super Saver Shipping
# Order Total: $165.41

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I just went to amazon and can't find the same deal I got on June 23rd.

# Shipping Speed: FREE Super Saver Shipping
# Order Total: $165.41
Thats still extremely cheap for a name brand intake, mine was 259.00 + shipping when i ordered it last year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts