Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used 2003 4.7L Tundra Limited and after checking the mpg for the last 5 tanks I had a low of 14 and a high of 15mpg. These miles were all local with some highway. Easy driving with the gas pedal as well. The TRD exhaust and Volant CAI I put on had no effect on mpg.

Whats everyone averaging with the older style Tundra's?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 Tundra mileage

I have a 2006 Limited 2 wheel drive. I am getting 17.5-17.9 with mostly highway miles. I am considering trying a KN filter. Seems the tundra is geared fairly low. Anybody ever had the rear end gear changed? Love my truck just wished it was getting closer to 20 mpg.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems like you guys are doing alot better than me. I assume you have a 4.7 too. Hey SACSR you mentioned a K&N filter. If you go with the CAI set up I wish you well because my buddy put one on and I put a Volant and we both now have "Check engine " light on. Even if I reset it by disconnecting the battery the light comes back after 150 miles. Seems like the MAF sensor is NG now. From what I've read it gets damaged from the oil thats on the filters that are used in the CAI. Truck sounds great but no gas MPG increase.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I get anywhere from mid 14's with city/highway to high 17's with mostly highway driving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had mine since December and I consistently get 14-15 in the city and I'll get 16-17 on the freeway.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I have a 2001 Tundra AC V8. It's bone stock. I get about 400 miles on a full tank. Thats about 18mpg city/hwy driving mixed every time I fill up. It has been constant since I bought the truck 2 years ago. I also drive pretty easy, keeping it under 2000rpm.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have an 05 4.7 4 door 2wd limited, and i get about 17 mpg all the time. have had the truck for about 6 months. flowmaster and a drop in K&n filter. otherwise stock except snugtop sl lid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Disconnect the battery for at least 40 min. This will reset ecu and start the learn process for your driving habits. You may be surprised and your fuel mileage gain (or loss) with your driving habits

·
Registered
112 Posts
2005 4.7 SR5 Acc Cab 4X4, all stock

21 HWY
17 CITY
18 Combined

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2000 4.7 SE5 TRD 4x4, I drive 7 miles to get to town then drive around 10-15 miles and then 7 more miles to get home, I get 15 MPG.
when I pull the two horse trailer with O/D turned off I get 10 MPG, I never go over 58 MPH 'in tow'. Or any other time for that matter,, I have now idea how this truck rides or sounds over 68 MPH, LOL ( I have driven cars and trucks over 125 MPH on highways and country roads, so this is not an OLD MAN problem I have if anyone wonders).
My brother from another mother is a certified Toyota mech (19 + years). he told me to turn it off when pulling much of any kinda load. So I screw those lost MPG's to save my tranny.
Hope this helps on several levels, Columbia

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
I was traveling 180 miles round trip for work a day (all highway) and would go through a half tank per day. Going to work I’d be going down in elevation, and vice versa on the way home. I tried to keep the tank full hoping it would do a little better on mpg, but it was still $50 a day no matter what I did. Now going south on I-95 on cruse control I’d do about 380 to 400+ a tank, but not much more, and the driving conditions had to be right.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I raised my tire pressures (stock 245/70-16 Bridgestones) to 40psi and the mileage increase is significant on my 2005 4x4. I had tried synthetic oil with absolutely no difference. We are stuck with E10 gasoline here and I always run 87. 91 made no difference.

City-hwy mixed commuting was 13-15, now 17-17.5 avg (3 fillups). Last weekend LA-SD round trip 21mpg at 65-70mph with about 40 miles of start-stop traffic.

Downside is harsh ride from the hard tires, but its a truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
damn you guys got some desent number.s Mine got somewhere like 10-12 all city( commute less than 3 miles one trip). Anyone knows what seem to be the problem?

BTW mine is 04 DC, 4.7l, 20'' rims

1 - 20 of 67 Posts