Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 SR5 TRD 4.7L and the timing belt broke right after I shut the engine off last week. I’ve done timing belts on a SOHC engine before, but not when the engine wasn’t top-dead center. What’s my best course of action to get myself back to top-dead-center? Hope I’m not too far out of time and put the new belt on and start hand cranking? I assume that I can’t just rotate the cams and crank independently. Thanks for any advice you can provide.

· Registered
14,312 Posts
I would do a leakdown test, verify no valves are bent.

Then re-time it all per spec listed in the manual. Get cyl 1 to tdc, go from there. You will have to retime everything.

· Registered
1 Posts
My 2002 just had the timing belt break. Engine (4.7) has 252K on it. I was very discouraged about the fate of my truck after reading all of the disinfo on the net. I decided to go to a local shop that specializes in Toyotas. Everyone told me the same thing, "Put on a new belt and you'll be fine". They were booked out 6 weeks, and I couldn't afford to wait. I did it myself, and it started right up, and 300 miles later, purring like a kitten. The shop did say, there is a chance of having problems if the belt breaks on an '05-'06 due to the variable valve timing addition, however, very rare because the pistons are concave to accommodate room for the valves. Hope this helps you all. The timing belt is very easy to install on these trucks as well. It just takes a bit of time and a good video. The only special tool that you need is for the crank pulley, though a chain wrench and a piece of serpentine belt worked for me. Hope this gives some hope to the hopeless

1 - 4 of 4 Posts