Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2008 Tundra with a 4.7 in a 5-speed automatic transmission it has tons of miles. I also have a wrecked 2010 Tundra with the 4.6 and 6-speed auto trans all the working parts in the wreck truck are still good. I'm wondering if I could swap the for seven and five speed for the 4.6 and 6 Speed trans? Anyone have any experience with this? I've heard that it's not worth it but seeing as I have a complete Parts truck I'm thinking it may be doable but I'm wondering if there is any major modifications that need to be done in order to make it work

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
I don't see why not, motor, trans, ECUs....getting wiring harnesses out and moved over might be the biggest nightmare.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Do you have the time and skill level to do this As well as the shop, tools and what do you do to get around while the truck is down. Is the 4.7 tired? If not why bother? Get an old international pickup or travelall from the 60's and put the drivetrain in that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a friend with a shop and im basically planning on saving it until this one blows up and then doing it. Im wondering if it would be smarter to just sell it and buy a 4.7 and a 5 speed trans from lkq... but if its not much extra work I would prefer to have the 4.6 and a 6 speed trans. So my big question is how much more work wpuld it be to swap to a 4.6 and speed opposed to a straight switch of 4.7 and 5 speed to a new 4.7 and 5 speed..

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
There is a Tundra with the 4.7 that ran 1 million miles. How long before you get there?
If you have a whole spare vehicle then you have all the parts you need. If you have just the drivetrain you will be chasing parts.
If your friend has a shop and is capable of doing this then he should be the one you ask

1 - 5 of 5 Posts