Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I am a new Tundra owner as of a couple weeks ago. I traded in an 06 Frontier for a 2011 Tundra, 4.6L, SR5, 4x2. Ive been searching since December of last year- passed up good deals on a 2010 5.7L, several F150's, and one other 4.6L, so I wasnt about to miss this opportunity- the price was right.

Anyway, I have been scouring these Tundra forums for maintenance tips and how-to's, but most of what I have come across pertain mostly to the 5.7L engine. My question is: Is there any major difference in procedures for common tasks like changing the serp belt, engine coolant, tranny fluid, spark plugs, brakes, etc.? I started to have tranny issues with that Frontier about 8 months before I finally traded it in, and I am not about to let that happen again.

As of now I do not have the factory service manual, but that is in the works. I am planning on taking the vehicle to Toyota just to see if I missed out on any recalls (driveshaft, TPMS, etc.) Any advice for this? Havent dealt with a stealership in a long time, but the vehicle is still under warranty- 21K miles.

·
Registered
830 Posts
AFAIK, no difference, if not running E85 on the 5.7--otherwise you would need to change oil more often. But the 4.6 isn't flex fuel. The two engines are the same family, so maintance is the same. IMO, perhaps the transmission fluid should be change a bit more often on the 4.6, as it will run with the convertor unlocked more often, but that is pure swag.

·
Premium Member
10,982 Posts
No, its a timing chain.

No difference in maintenance between the two. Same engine, just a shorter stroke.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts