Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got an '08 DC with 40k miles on it, so it's finally time for some new shoes (I'm thinking Terra Grapplers). I'd like to level the truck and go a bit bigger then the 255/70/18s, but here's my quandary - how big is too big for the 4.0L V6? Any other 4.0 owners who have gone to 275/70s (33") on the stock 18 wheels? Would 295/70s (34") be too much for my small mill?

peace*mike

·
Registered
713 Posts
Wow! Only 40k miles on an 08?! And a v6 to boot! Honestly, it’s a rarity to see someone on the forum with the v6 so I’m not sure you will get much first hand feedback, unfortunately.

That being said, there are plenty of v6 Tacoma’s running around with oversize tires. Most that I see, however, stick with 33” tires or smaller if they plan on keeping the factory gear set. If memory serves, all v6 Tacoma’s come with 3.73 gears as opposed to your factory 3:90’s. However, since the tundra is bigger and heavier than the Tacoma, the lower gear puts you on equal ground with the Tacoma. So, IMO, I would think 33’s or smaller would be the way to go. I’m sure 34’s would work, especially if you don’t tow much (driving the v6, I’m assuming as much), but you would definitely feel the power reduction.

Another option would be to change tire size to something like the factory 275/65r18 for a wider tire but same height.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts