Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just got back from a week long camping trip pulling my 30 ft travel trailer. My 2015 Tundra Limited, double cab, 4X4 performed flawlessly. My only complaint is that I had to fill up a lot on the road.

I have searched the forum and was wondering if anyone has installed a 2016 38 gallon tank on their 2014-2015 Tundra yet? I have also looked at the Tranferflow option, but from what I see, it won't pass smog in CA.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm waiting to find a wrecked one to try it

Reactions: desertracer2

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is anyone concerned carrying that much fuel and pulling a trailer might cause a suspension problem and especially a problem on the tank side? My trailer only weighs 3500 lbs but If I pulled very far or often I would definitely need air bags.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I looked into this when the tank first came out for 2016's. You can't swap just the tank. All the vent lines are different, hangers are different, skid plate is different, and as far as the dealer could tell me the fuel pump is different, which killed the plan since I am supercharged and I need the higher flow pump.

If you could source the parts from a wreck it would be worthwhile, just grab everything . But if you are buying new stuff, its not economically sound to do it. You can do the Transfer Flow 46 gallon tank cheaper, which is what I did.

Reactions: UNTMatt

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is anyone concerned carrying that much fuel and pulling a trailer might cause a suspension problem and especially a problem on the tank side? My trailer only weighs 3500 lbs but If I pulled very far or often I would definitely need air bags.
I can't imagine the extra ~70 lbs. of fuel (and that's only immediately after you leave the gas station) is going to stress the suspension too terribly. Are you concerned about your suspension when a small child sits on your rear seat?

·
Registered
345 Posts
you can install a transferflow just keep your old one. Change back in six years when smog is due

·
Registered
716 Posts
So it's just a stupid law on the books? I thought he was saying the larger fuel tank actually made you fail the smog detector test.
Some places do a visual, and anything that they spot that has been altered can cause a failure.

Transfer Flow probably doesn't want to deal with the hassle to get the CARB sticker. From what I understand, they have to do a mountain of paperwork for every vehicle and every model year they make a tank for to get and keep the carb sticker.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I was looking at the Transferflow tank, so when I was getting my car it's bi-annual smog test I asked the Tech about it. And his reply/comments were,
(1) make sure filler pipe etc are all connected properly and make sure that a visual of the gas tank cap area looks normal.
(2) as long as the ODBII doesn't report any errors they won't look any closer at the tank.
(3) the remaining visual checks are just to make sure everything is still there (re: cats, and other smog related equipment under the hood.)
(4) The majority of the testing and checking is done by the computer when they connect the computer to the ODBII port.

From Start to Finish it took him less than 5 minutes from the time he got the key to the vehicle and was done, This was on a '03 BMW. In the past he had to put vehicle on a dyno type machine and check it at different RPM's and Speed and used to take him about 15 minutes to complete.

As a side note, if you make a mistake during installation and didn't get everything connected properly the Check-Engine Light will alert you to the problem so you can fix it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey everyone, just got back from a week long camping trip pulling my 30 ft travel trailer. My 2015 Tundra Limited, double cab, 4X4 performed flawlessly. My only complaint is that I had to fill up a lot on the road.

I have searched the forum and was wondering if anyone has installed a 2016 38 gallon tank on their 2014-2015 Tundra yet? I have also looked at the Tranferflow option, but from what I see, it won't pass smog in CA.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Good question. We towed our Airstream to Bonnaroo last weekend, and instead of stopping every 325 miles for gas, we were stopping every 200, kind of a PITA.

So what is the deal on bigger tanks? I know I can put one in the bed, but I have a short bed and it's already small enough.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
Good question. We towed our Airstream to Bonnaroo last weekend, and instead of stopping every 325 miles for gas, we were stopping every 200, kind of a PITA.

So what is the deal on bigger tanks? I know I can put one in the bed, but I have a short bed and it's already small enough.

Transfer flow makes a 46 gallon tank the bolts on. The original question on this ones if the new larger take that comes from the factory available in 2016's is backwards compatible. Answer is no. Transfer flow is the only and best option, as it is actually bigger than the biggest OEM.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts