Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 15 DC, with 35/12.5/20 Atturo trail blade MT's on stock TSS wheels. I am also running 1 1/2" spacers from supreme suspension. I removed mud flapps n plastics, i only get a minimal amount of rub at the body mount when reversing into my driveway at 3/4 turn. Other than they fit n look awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
What if you hit a bump while turning?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have a 15 DC, with 35/12.5/20 Atturo trail blade MT's on stock TSS wheels. I am also running 1 1/2" spacers from supreme suspension. I removed mud flapps n plastics, i only get a minimal amount of rub at the body mount when reversing into my driveway at 3/4 turn. Other than they fit n look awesome.
Looks great! Interesting how you removed the front plastic liner. I read how most push it in after heating it with a heat gun. I'm curious to know what purpose the front liners serve and why most don't remove them altogether? I understand the mudflats in the rear front serve to protect the rocker panels from getting dirt and gravel getting kicked up from tire speed. But I'm not sure of the front liner's purpose. Wouldn't dirt and mud get in there mainly from going in reverse at a decent speed?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I removed the front liners on my 2005 Tundra 4x4 that has 34" tires. It was a huge mistake. When offroad, a dramatic amount more mud gets all over the engine increasing the likelihood of overheating, not to mention the mess it makes. Think about when you go to replace spark plugs... the dried mud/sand will be in every crevice waiting to fall down inside your engine. This isnt even the worse part yet... everytime after the plastic fender liner was removed, if I drove through water even 5 inches deep at over 15 mph, it sprayed up into my intake on the passenger side, soaking my air filter and causing my engine to stall or start choking. Needless to say, they are there for a good reason.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Good point, SLPace, and I agree. But I think we're referring to two different liners. I'm not talking about the inner fender well liner that protects the engine bay. I'm talking about the plastic liner along the backside of the front bumper, just in front of the front tires. That's the part most likely to rub, especially when turning and in reverse. I notice Tundras with SDHQ and N-fab prerunner bumpers don't have those front plastic liners. I'm guessing they're there to protect the factory fog light assembly and wiring while driving in reverse and maybe to also cover up the backside of the front bumper assembly for aesthetic reasons.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ah ok. I guess I didn't realize those are two different pieces. Regardless if I was keeping the stock bumper, I would just heat it up with a heat gun on low and use an old metal bowl to gently form it in about 3/4". As for the mudflaps, and the "front mini mud flap", i would ditch them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.