Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,
I have been trying to decide what to do with my wheels and tires, and if I want to buy expensive aftermarket wheels. I hate the stock wheels, and at the very least want to put TRD wheels on it. I can get a set of basically new takeoff TRD wheels locally for around $200. That's a heck of a lot cheaper than the set of Fuel Offroad wheels I have been drooling over.

I plan to install a 3" spacer in front, and a set of Coachbuilder's +3" shackles in the rear. My questions are: what size tires can I use with stock wheels? Can I put a set of Nitto 295/70/18 on them? Would they rub with the stock offset? Are there other sizes in a 34-35" tire that would work better?

If anybody has pictures of their truck with larger tires on stock wheels, I would love to see them. Thanks!

Reactions: mchooch

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
It depends on your tire choice. Ugo4it ran 35 12.50 18 km2's on stock wheels. Only had to trim the skid plate.
I ran 35 12.50 kumho mt's needed 1.5" wheel spacers to clear the side lugs. Had to remove front mud flaps, and move the plastic that hides the fog lights forward.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I think I might've posted to you before but can't remember. I have the same size tires (Terra Grapplers) you're talking about on stockers. I have no rubbing on the body mount or skid plate, but I do get some rubbing at full lock from my strut on my LCA. I removed my mud flaps for flares, but I'm throwing on aftermarket wheels and later doing other shocks.

Reactions: Ol'Dub

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mchooch, do you happen to have a more side view shot of the wheels? Thanks!

·
Registered
442 Posts
You betcha, here you go :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet! That looks pretty good. I might just go that route and save the coin I would spend on wheels for something else.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
I have 295/70/18 on my stock TRD wheels.

Bilstein 5100's set all the way up.

No rubbing with the skidplate off.

Very slight rubbing with the skidplate on until you cut a triangle shaped piece out of each side about 1.5" in.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So if the adjustable Bilsteins give 2.5" lift, would it still rub with a 3" lift?

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
So if the adjustable Bilsteins give 2.5" lift, would it still rub with a 3" lift?
My guess would be yes because of the extra width.

I don't know for sure so I just flung out a swag there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I picked up a set of toyo mt's 35x12.50x18 to use on stock trd wheels with a 3/1 level kit. After reading for a couple of hours it doesn't appear that this will work. Anyone have this setup?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I picked up a set of toyo mt's 35x12.50x18 to use on stock trd wheels with a 3/1 level kit. After reading for a couple of hours it doesn't appear that this will work. Anyone have this setup?
I was considering the exact same tire with the exact same set up as you have. I am curious to hear the answer as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Real curious here too! I'm thinking 35x12.5 on my stock Platinum wheels with a +3 leveling kit and a Nfab bumper....The bumper to prevent rubbing on the lower section.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
35x12.50s are too wide for the stock 8" wide wheels.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
A lot depends on the actual tires. Most 35's are actually 34", if you get mud grapplers they're over 35". Mud tires with huge lugs have better chance of rubbing on the Uca, that's why you may need wheel spacers. It can be done. I ran 35's on my stock wheels for about a year.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
35, 34, doesn't matter at all when you are talking about width. 295 is the widest the stock wheels are designed for. Yeah you can fit wider just like you can put 3,000 lbs in the bed or tow 12k.
Most wide tires are for looks, why not do it right? The donut look looks stupid and is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts