Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats next?

I had a 2007 Tacoma 4x4 w 6sp manual and the tranny was constant issue ( I also had 4 other issues before 36K). They even replaced it. After the throughout bearing noise came back after 15K miles on that tranny I traded for this Tundra. Now this thing is becoming a lemon in my eyes. I have a friend with a eco boost ford with more miles and zero issues. The PSR issue ruined a set of tires prematurely. The edges of all the tires are shot thanks to my previous dealerships fantastic maintenance. They just kept rotating the tires and didn't say anything. Turns out my rack was going bad and mixed with some camber issue it wore out the tires early. I just got it back from the dealer and was told to drive it some more and bring it back before 36K so they can fix the cam tower oil leak issue. They put die in it to trace the leak and told me to bring it back. Tonight I see the VSC light is on and I get no response from the LSD/VSC button. There has been a weird intermittentant noise that sounds like a spring. I also have had the infamous battery corrosion issue. As i read these other issues it makes me nervous. Im at 31K and already had two major issues. The truck is stock. Its been babied compared to others. I'm PO'd that Ive spent money on this truck. You buy a truck and put spray in bed liner, 3M paint protection, tint, alarm etc etc and you eat all that and more when you trade it in on something else because darn thing is a time bomb set to go off at 36K miles. Yeah I have the extend platinum warranty but thats POS warranty. Its not a true warranty through toyota. If it was as good as Toyotas warranty then they wouldnt be rushing to fix my issues before the 36K warranty runs out.
Saturday, I am going to kick some tires at the Ford dealership. At this point its the lesser of two evils. I've been down this road with Toyota before and when that Toyota warranty runs out its like pulling teeth. I dont want to be dealing with these same issues in another 31 K miles. I'm not even sure if the rack is covered under the power train warranty, I doubt it and I've seen dealers do the old "this one time only" statement on things that do happen under warranty.
Toyota's quality dropped significantly when they passed GM in volume.. If you count the issues I had with my Scion's sunroof not closing every 10K miles then you could say I've had 3 toyotas in a row all with problems that are persistent. All these cars were bought new so theres no other factors. If the saying is "screw me once same on you........then its on all me now.

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Sounds like you should be visiting another Toyota dealer but if you think you have it bad now then you might want to compare customer service ratings between Toyota and Ford. If you get an Ecobust I hope it doesn't start on fire too...oh, and get out your checkbook for that unproven V6 because Ford thinks it's made of gold.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
717 Posts
Whats next?

I had a 2007 Tacoma 4x4 w 6sp manual and the tranny was constant issue ( I also had 4 other issues before 36K). They even replaced it. After the throughout bearing noise came back after 15K miles on that tranny I traded for this Tundra.
If you had an issue with a transmission, had it replaced and still had issues it wasn't the transmission. I really doubt you would get two defective transmissions back to back unless whoever did the maintenance thoroughly ****ed something up.

Now this thing is becoming a lemon in my eyes. I have a friend with a eco boost ford with more miles and zero issues. The PSR issue ruined a set of tires prematurely. The edges of all the tires are shot thanks to my previous dealerships fantastic maintenance. They just kept rotating the tires and didn't say anything. Turns out my rack was going bad and mixed with some camber issue it wore out the tires early.
One, stock tires are nothing impressive. Only good ones come on higher tier packages. Two if you can't check your own tire pressure or are to lazy to adjust it then that is your fault. It's not hard and takes no more than 5mins. I want to say the 09+ steering racks have been having issues (if that is what your talking about, I can't tell your not specific) But if your steering rack was going out you would know it and I really doubt it would cause tires to prematurely where.

I just got it back from the dealer and was told to drive it some more and bring it back before 36K so they can fix the cam tower oil leak issue. They put die in it to trace the leak and told me to bring it back. Tonight I see the VSC light is on and I get no response from the LSD/VSC button.
You should have left it there made them give you a rental and then they could trouble shoot to find the leak. Why would you take back a vehicle that you obviously are too lazy/clueless to do maintenance or learn about and drive it around if there is an "issue"

There has been a weird intermittentant noise that sounds like a spring. I also have had the infamous battery corrosion issue. As i read these other issues it makes me nervous.
What intermintenant noise? Where does it come from? Again be more specific. Battery corrosion? Damn near 90% of all batteries will corrode. Again learn some basic preventative maintenance and take care of it, quit being lazy as that will only be an issue if you refuse to do anything with it.

Im at 31K and already had two major issues. The truck is stock. Its been babied compared to others. I'm PO'd that Ive spent money on this truck. You buy a truck and put spray in bed liner, 3M paint protection, tint, alarm etc etc and you eat all that and more when you trade it in on something else because darn thing is a time bomb set to go off at 36K miles.
3M, Tint, Alarm = $800 or so it's not that bad, if you can't afford that on a 31K truck maybe you should have found something cheaper. And if you trade it in at times where you "eat all that" then why don't you lease? Since it sounds like you don't plan on keeping your vehicle for life.

Yeah I have the extend platinum warranty but thats POS warranty. Its not a true warranty through toyota. If it was as good as Toyotas warranty then they wouldnt be rushing to fix my issues before the 36K warranty runs out.
Ummm rushing to fix something is normally a good sign. If I had a customer that I wanted to make happy then I would fix their vehicle as fast with as high of quality work as possible.

Saturday, I am going to kick some tires at the Ford dealership. At this point its the lesser of two evils. I've been down this road with Toyota before and when that Toyota warranty runs out its like pulling teeth. I dont want to be dealing with these same issues in another 31 K miles. I'm not even sure if the rack is covered under the power train warranty, I doubt it and I've seen dealers do the old "this one time only" statement on things that do happen under warranty.
No one is going to stop you from going to kick tires, go for it. It's your money. I do not see how dealing with Toyota warranty is like "pulling teeth"l maybe your a dick and the service people don't like you.

Toyota's quality dropped significantly when they passed GM in volume.. If you count the issues I had with my Scion's sunroof not closing every 10K miles then you could say I've had 3 toyotas in a row all with problems that are persistent. All these cars were bought new so theres no other factors. If the saying is "screw me once same on you........then its on all me now.
When did Toyota pass GM in volume? It hasn't happened in the truck department. If you don't realize this then all manufactures quality has dropped and to here you had 3 Toyotas in a row with any kind of major problem is hard to believe.

Clicky forum. I see the forum trolls are out.

If he did read it he would read the part where I said " at the previous dealership".
Right now it seems like your the troll. Just joined the forum 10 post, 90% of the people here are likely to help. But unless your descriptive we can't do anything since we aren't physically there with you and your truck to diagnose it. Long post with now breaks is a English 101, you break up paragraphs to help keep peoples attention.

Now if you don't like any of what I have posted and replied to then find some one who cares, I broke it down, it will probably help every one else and I pointed out some things that you can touch up on. But IMHO it seems like you don't know anything/are too lazy to do basic stuff yourself/always rely on others to do things for you that or are trying to spread some hate and discontent

·
Read Only
0 Posts
A lemon is classified as the "SAME" problem 3 times I think. So if you had a Cam Tower Oil leak 3 times and they can't fix it... Then that'd qualify for a lemon

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
not always that simple. In TX for example, you have to have the problem serviced twice in the first 12 months or 12K AND twice again within the 12 months or 12K miles immediately following the 2nd service attempt. If it's a serious safety hazard such as failing brakes etc, both of the "2" requirements drop to 1. There's more to it than that but that's the nutshell of it.

If you want to go the dick route, take it back to the dealer you bought it from and tell them if you don't get it fixed this time properly, you will have a big ass vinyl sticker made that reads "I bought a lemon from XYZ dealer on 123 Road" and affix it to your back window for all to see and they can enjoy that free publicity.

If you want to go the non-dick route, ask to speak with the Master Tech and talk with him about the problem. Find out what kind of beer he likes and mention a case of it might happen to find its way into your cab and you probably wouldn't notice if it were to come up missing. Having the MT as a "buddy" is as Sam would say, "the tits."

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This all started cause some people like to read every post and make comments whether the topic is relative to them or not. I dont have a high number of posts on any forum no matter how long I've been a member because thats not my style. I have other matters to attend to than sit on a forum all night and make comments. Making some sort of snide comment, what does that accomplish? Nothing.

I only joined this forum to add my truck to the poll of stering rack issues and let others know of the issues I'm having. I've accomplished that and now I'm done.

The 6sp manuals had issues in the Tacoma and FJ. Do some research. I also don't see how I could have cuased the sunroof to fail on my Scion repeatedly. It happened and thas a fact.

Tire wear was from the the power steering rack issue causing toe in mixed some slight camber. Air pressure will effect the center or both outer edges. Not one side. So if your having an alignment issue on a truck with low miles, you may want to have them inspect the boots for fluid . I didnt notice the wear, the tires were low on tread and I knew that but I'm not out there visually inspecting my trucks tires every weekend. To make a comment like that, you dont know me and you're not a master mech and there was no fuild in the driveway or difference in feel. When you pay someone, or they're getting paid to do a job, you expect it to get done right. Especially at the dealership

I left the truck there for 2 days. I didnt take it back, they gave it back and the "rush" is to get it back in for the brake squeal and the oil leak before the 36K runs out. So they want me to drive it more but not over the 36K mark.

The Toyota warranty and the Platinum warranty are to different things. Its when the Toyota warranty runs out and you're on the Platinum extended warranty when things become harder.

3M was $800 alone, $400 for bed liner, tint, etc, I mention those because they cant be removed. Then there's step bars, bully bars, bed box, stereo alarm, passport SRX and a whole bunch of other items that cost money and took time to install and some will not fit on another model. Whats the point of this again? My point is a truck should last, not to compare $$ spent or bank accounts. Spend money on a aftermarket parts or keep it stock, its irrelevant.

When I used the term lemon I didnt mean it in a legal sense. Yes it has to be 3 times before 25K miles or something and then theres all the legal BS but i'm sure someone will correct me and we'll be all the greater for it.

As far as the noise, well it happens every now and then, and it only takes a second. Its not like I can hang from the undercarrage or is that being lazy?

Well, I'm out. One rant and everybody jumps in. For those with alignment issues early I hope you find this and get your rack inspected. If you smell even a hint of oil, get in inspected may be the cam tower. Moderators - if you edit this edit juniors too please beacuse its just an attack.

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
Thanks for the <b><b>'s, I actually understood your post :woot:

Good luck with your truck. Steering rack failures on 2010+ Tundras is somewhat common, and a known issue. I believe the 5/60k warranty covers that. This subject has been discussed many times in here, and there are several very long threads and polls on it. So your post is more of a rant than an informational offering, since there is already plenty of information on blown racks floating around in here.

On my '07, I've had my drive shaft and water pump replaced under my 5/60 factory warranty. (Back in 2011 and 2012) Never had issues like that before, but it wasn't really a concern.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your gripes...a few others have had some of the same issues. What separates them from you is that they detail their customer service and repair experience, and they've gone so far as to research and share WHY these failures are occurring. The answer is that Toyota used different parts, or a different manufacturer on the steering racks of 2010+ trucks, and that's why your rack is a piece of shit. The fix done right is to replace the rack with a 2007-2009 steering rack :D

That wasn't an attack...since you said that was your last post, I figured I'd just take a few minutes to thank you for your valuable contributions around here :D :beerchug:

·
Registered
717 Posts
This all started cause some people like to read every post and make comments whether the topic is relative to them or not. I dont have a high number of posts on any forum no matter how long I've been a member because thats not my style. I have other matters to attend to than sit on a forum all night and make comments. Making some sort of snide comment, what does that accomplish? Nothing.
Then start calling people out on being trolls. They were busting your balls and would probably have looked at your post again at a later time.

I only joined this forum to add my truck to the poll of stering rack issues and let others know of the issues I'm having. I've accomplished that and now I'm done.

The 6sp manuals had issues in the Tacoma and FJ. Do some research. I also don't see how I could have cuased the sunroof to fail on my Scion repeatedly. It happened and thas a fact.
Tire wear was from the the power steering rack issue causing toe in mixed some slight camber. Air pressure will effect the center or both outer edges. Not one side. So if your having an alignment issue on a truck with low miles, you may want to have them inspect the boots for fluid . I didnt notice the wear, the tires were low on tread and I knew that but I'm not out there visually inspecting my trucks tires every weekend. To make a comment like that, you dont know me and you're not a master mech and there was no fuild in the driveway or difference in feel. When you pay someone, or they're getting paid to do a job, you expect it to get done right. Especially at the dealership
Do you know what a power steering rack does? It helps you turn the tires it doesn't deal with camber issues. That would be another problem. Here are a couple links. Also a quick search on google can start you into a good direction on a lot of things. Also neglecting to look over your truck once in awhile (should be every day) can lead into bigger problems. To do a quick look around the vehicle to make sure things aren't leaking tires ain't bad etc take maybe 10-15mins. And I never said I was a master mech, but I'm a damn good mechanic on anything I turn a wrench on.
http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tu...t-happens-when-power-steering-rack-fails.html
What Are the Causes of Camber Wear on Tires? | eHow

As far as the noise, well it happens every now and then, and it only takes a second. Its not like I can hang from the undercarrage or is that being lazy?

Well, I'm out. One rant and everybody jumps in. For those with alignment issues early I hope you find this and get your rack inspected. If you smell even a hint of oil, get in inspected may be the cam tower. Moderators - if you edit this edit juniors too please beacuse its just an attack.
I don't expect you to hang from your undercarriage but if it happens now and then, then you should have started to locate where it comes from. Ever here the phrase "You scratch my back, scratch your?" or how about "Help me help you" That or you were just coming here to bitch and moan and not look for help :confused:

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
The best fix for the 6 speed manual in the taco/fj is the Urd sleeve/throw out bearing. I recommend it every time we do one of those

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
Bitch and moan :yesnod:

Enjoy that Ford, I heard they're nice. I'd trade that truck in if it was mine, too many problems.

You gonna get the ecoboost or 5.0? I heard them 5-0's was nice....cuz vanilla ice told me that :lol:

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Yea, rack failing CAN NOT cause tire wear... Going 31k without ever getting an alignment, especially with the shitty roads... Now that can cause irregular tire wear... Or just the fact that even tires rated to 50k CAN and DO wear out earlier... Trucks in general have more tire wear issues than say a focus... Even if you look on ferd boards they bitch about tires wearing out prematurely too. All forums have people bitching about tires, too crappy, too hard, too soft, wore too quickly, not enough grip, not enough load rating... They are tires. They are a consumable.

I found the battery issue where you said you Cleaned it with some spray and it hasn't came back... Ummm... Yep. Batteries contain acid, lead terminals, steel clamps. Dissimilar metals have chemical reactions and cause corrosion... this combined with venting and voila, corrosion.

You obviously fall under the category of put gas in it and go for oil changes and life is good.

General maintenance includes checking tire wear, battery cleaning, alignments...

·
Registered
717 Posts
So I take it he bought the Ford or doesn't want help or anything...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts