Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

x_y_of_z_posts

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for my 30k service so I refer to my service manual which states the following for the 30k service:

• Check drivers floor mat
  • Inspect & adjust all fluid levels
  • inspect wiper blades
  • lubricate propeller shaft
  • re-torque propeller shaft bolt
  • Replace cabin air filter
  • Replace engine air filter
  • Replace engine oil & oil filter
  • Rotate tires

I check my local dealer's website to check price and make apt since they have completed all the previous service under warranty. Their website says it will cost $236 so I make the appt. Go their today and they tell me that the following are also recommended at 30k:
  • EFI service $250
  • Brake fluid exchange $152
  • Diff service $90 x 3
  • Power Steering flush $183
  • Cabin Air Filter $67
  • Engine air filter $37

I call BULLSHIT!!!!!!!

·
Registered
x_posts
The differentials may need new oil. If that includes the synthetic oil, then a normal price (still too high). My independent shop charged about $50 per diff. and used my oil. Easy money for them. I paid it since I have a back injury that prevents doing many DIY jobs. Air and cabin are easy DIY and the EFI is a known ripoff. Same for PS and brake fluid.
Good luck,
bc

·
Registered
x_posts
I didn't do any of it... 100k originally everything. To be honest with you, I haven't done any of what you mentioned to my Tacoma and now my tundra... even worse, all the toyotas in the house and one Nissan Maxima... never done any of those. All 100k-300k. Dealers can't take my money. All of them all needed water pumps and alternators for the long haul but generally the regular maintenance issues do arise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
x_posts
the brake flush should be done 2-3 years prob since its just dot3 fluid... but its so easy to do it's not even funny, cant believe they ask $150 for that.

i would also worry of them using the wrong fluid in diffs, that has been discussed around here too... 30k way too early but i think that's what the book calls for though IIRC....

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #9
My previous 2004 Tundra had 205k miles on it when I traded it in for this 2015 Tundra. I was just about to turn 50 so I thought I would finally buy my first brand new vehicle, so with that in mind I figured I would keep up with ALL the factory recommended services. mine is the Flex fuel which calls for oil changes every 2500 miles unless you use synthetic then its 5000 miles. I know that the power steering, brake fluid flushes and EFI are all bullshit and I never get those done on any of our vehicles. Nowhere in my owners manual does it say anything about changing those only check for leaks and level. It does call for Diff fluid chg and transfer case service every 30k if you tow which I've only done twice in 2 years and only used 4WD a handful of times except for the 5 min engage on a dirt road monthly to keep it working properly.

one positive (maybe) is that the battery tested faulty and they replaced for free under the 3yr/36k miles original warranty

·
Registered
x_posts
Sounds great and all but changing your oil in those intervals is a waste of money. Just my opinion but different strokes for different folks. I've always gone by this rule: conventional oil 6-7k. Synthetic 10k. I have lots of cars to prove that what I do works. If you change at 2.5 and 5, you'll have the same results as me - just wasted more money than me. I don't have lots of money either haha.

Flex fuel - I won't even use this stuff. It's very corrosive. Just the regular stuff.

Btw, congrats on your new vehicle!

·
Registered
x_posts
I bought the oil package at the dealer. They changed it for a good solid year. Found out they weren't changing the filter out (lots of work to remove that steel cover) and lied about rotating tires. Lost faith and never came back myself.

·
Registered
x_posts
Those are the Dealer recommended (read: we want a new coffee machine) items...I have never seen the EFI service in my factory recommended item list. Brake fluid and PS fluid should be checked and changed as needed but that's usually 2-3 years each due to water and contaminant buildup.

Check the book, go with that, not what they're pushing.

·
Registered
x_posts
They are correct about the diff service,

Differentials and t-case due every 30k per the book.

If your 4x4, look over their paperwork and verify they used the CORRECT t-case fluid!

·
Premium Member
x_posts
I bought the oil package at the dealer. They changed it for a good solid year. Found out they weren't changing the filter out (lots of work to remove that steel cover) and lied about rotating tires. Lost faith and never came back myself.
are you kidding, they weren't changing the filter??? that is crazy. how did you figure this out?

(not directed at you) i dont know why everyone whines about the steel cover, its like 5 12mm bolts, 3 10mm screws, and the thing slides right off. in fact its made in such a way that it wont fall on you making it even easier to R&R

·
Registered
x_posts
are you kidding, they weren't changing the filter??? that is crazy. how did you figure this out?

(not directed at you) i dont know why everyone whines about the steel cover, its like 5 12mm bolts, 3 10mm screws, and the thing slides right off. in fact its made in such a way that it wont fall on you making it even easier to R&R

I kid you not. The blue paint that's painted on the filter and the surface never broke loose. So they never undone the filter housing.

They didn't rotate my tires b/c one of my rims had a nick on it and it was still there on the same wheel when I came to check. I called the manager out and he said "we did rotate them". I said again you didn't. "how do you know we didn't?" - dufus see that gash/nick on that rim??!! It's been on the rear 4 oil changes ago each time.

That steel cover is a pita - a big extra step I have to perform to change the oil. So I just removed it completely. Never had a problem with it off.

·
Registered
x_posts
I will say this,
Iv used tamper paint before and cracked the bolt/nut loose....tamper paint didn't crack but rather it separated from the material and remained on the piece being removed.

·
Registered
x_posts
I loooked it really good with a flashlight and paint was still solid. No cracks etc. now that I've been doing my own changes - I don't have the paint on there anymore.

·
Premium Member
x_posts
There is only one shop I trust 40 min away past two other dealerships. (Both are no more than 15min from my house) Trust is worth every minute of additional drive time. Sorry you have so many issues. Good luck!

D

x_y_of_z_posts