Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back on December 3rd I put some items in the rear seat area of my Tundra Crew Max. I put my palm down of the (fabric) seat and left what looked like a grease spot on the fabric. (Don't ask me how, I could detect no grease or oil on my hand, but whatever). I retrieved some Toyota spot remover from my wife's Highlander, tested it for color fastness, masked off the area and applied it per the instructions. After it dried the spot was gone but I had a faint square area that was a shade or two darker than the surrounding area. The Toyota cleaner was several years old and had spent that time in a plastic case under her passenger seat.

I ordered some 303 Multi-Surface Cleaner from Auto Geek, masked off the area again and repeated the process. After letting it dry for two days there is no difference in the fabric color. I'm going to test an out of the way area with 303 Fabric Guard and if it works treat the rest of the seats.

note for the future- get leather?:D

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
For your seats @hessler, you would probably have more success with a dedicated foaming shampoo style auto upholstery cleaner. Multi-Surface Cleaner sounds like something for wiping hard surfaces, like the "Method" all-purpose cleaner my wife buys at Target.

For other readers, "303" is a brand of products. I'm most familiar with "303 Aerospace Protectant" for "vinyl, rubber, plastic, fiberglass, and leather". It's intended to prevent UV deterioration, and my experience was that it was an excellent product, keeping rubber weatherstrips and plastic trim looking new for years. The only negative was that after a few years, "Aerospace Protectant" degrades into a resilient white film on your weatherstrips; this film can be removed with thorough cleaning and re-application. This particular product, "303 Aerospace Protectant", is not intended for, nor should it be used on, cloth upholstery.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,231 Posts

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,231 Posts
I'm not familiar with Folex. I'll check it out, thanks for the info.
I used oxy clean on a grease spot one of my techs got on my seatand it worked well.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,231 Posts
For your seats @hessler, you would probably have more success with a dedicated foaming shampoo style auto upholstery cleaner. Multi-Surface Cleaner sounds like something for wiping hard surfaces, like the "Method" all-purpose cleaner my wife buys at Target.

For other readers, "303" is a brand of products. I'm most familiar with "303 Aerospace Protectant" for "vinyl, rubber, plastic, fiberglass, and leather". It's intended to prevent UV deterioration, and my experience was that it was an excellent product, keeping rubber weatherstrips and plastic trim looking new for years. The only negative was that after a few years, "Aerospace Protectant" degrades into a resilient white film on your weatherstrips; this film can be removed with thorough cleaning and re-application. This particular product, "303 Aerospace Protectant", is not intended for, nor should it be used on, cloth upholstery.
I have used Aerospace303 on my interior and exterior trim for probably 10 years on all of my vehicles and never had the issue you described, Of course when I detail my truck, the first step on the outside is to just power wash the exterior. Maybe that washes it all off before it gets a chance to build up.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I’ve also used 303 on interior and exterior trim with no white residue buildup. Been using it for years on the same vehicles. I like 303 because it things don’t look like they have been bathed in oil...just a nice matte sheen that looks great. Haven’t found anything that compares.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I’ve also used 303 on interior and exterior trim with no white residue buildup. Been using it for years on the same vehicles. I like 303 because it things don’t look like they have been bathed in oil...just a nice matte sheen that looks great. Haven’t found anything that compares.
Based on your and @OkSlim's experience, I conclude that frequent reapplication removes or "washes off" the previous film before it has a chance to degrade into the white film I observed. In other words, Aerospace Protectant is likely soluble in itself, and on re-application, re-liquifies any residual ingredients and adds fresh petroleum base, keeping it constantly fresh.

I made only one application to a new vehicle, and after years of inattention and no further detailing, a white film gradually formed. Removal required vigorous rubbing, as I recall with 50/50 alcohol in water solution. This method wasn't efficient; the white film was still resilient and "rolled" up into tiny balls before being wiped off. I didn't try simply reapplying the AP. I might have been a little panicked and just trying to restore the new look to my vinyl and rubber. When I saw the process was working, I just plowed ahead until the task was done. The new look WAS still there, apparently untouched by ten years of UV and ozone.

I absolutely endorse the product, but continuing maintenance will be required, as should be expected.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts