Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 15 cm platinum and I am ready to pull the trigger on brand new audio setup.
I prefer to do the work myself. I got a chance to listen to the focal ps 165 f3 components and loved their sound. My question is will the mid range driver fit in the dash or will I have to make modifications for it to fit. I prefer not cutting up the dash so if that's the case I might stick with a set of 2 way components and just leave the dash unplugged. Also is there any other 3 way component sets that would fit without altering the dash ? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
965 Posts
I suspect that midrange might be a bit too big for the factory opening in the dash. The factory speaker is about 2 3/4" OD with a cutout of about 2.5". Focal lists the midrange as having a cutout diameter of 78mm, or 2 7/8" . But I've never tried to shoehorn anything but tweeters in that spot on the dash.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have read that the dash (center) is tied to either the left or right channel so if you do aftermarket amps it is wise just to leave it unplugged. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
I recently bought a 15 cm platinum and I am ready to pull the trigger on brand new audio setup.
I prefer to do the work myself. I got a chance to listen to the focal ps 165 f3 components and loved their sound. My question is will the mid range driver fit in the dash or will I have to make modifications for it to fit. I prefer not cutting up the dash so if that's the case I might stick with a set of 2 way components and just leave the dash unplugged. Also is there any other 3 way component sets that would fit without altering the dash ? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

If they don't fit in the dash, you can get the door sails and fit them in there can't you?

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts
@Breathing Borla put 3-way Focals in his truck using that dash spot.
Maybe he will chime in.
yup, I have 3 way focal in the stock spots, just unplugged the center, didnt need or want it.

there is no permanent mods to the truck.

see if anyone can guess how they got them in and the grills to still fit?:D

ps, they sound AMAZING with my 4200 NEX source and JL XD 600/6 amp, which I have two channels bridged in the front, so 4 channels in the front bridge into two and then two in the rear

That larger mid range speaker is awesome up in the dash.

·
Registered
146 Posts
yup, I have 3 way focal in the stock spots, just unplugged the center, didnt need or want it.

ps, they sound AMAZING with my 4200 NEX source and JL XD 600/6 amp, which I have two channels bridged in the front, so 4 channels in the front bridge into two and then two in the rear

Are you running the center dash speaker? It sounded like you unplugged it.

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I listened to the focal flax 6" 2 way components and they sound amazing, I can only imagine the 3 way setup. the price is a bit scary @ 1000 bucks for the set. Borla which focal set did you get?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Go with HERTZ

I have the HSK 165 and I’m going to add a midrange (Mp 70) to my setup to get a 3-way full active....I love hertz and think they sound better then focal.

·
Registered
16 Posts

I'm very curious to know how this feat was pulled off???
I was up til 5am trying to install the same 3-way kit in my 2018 - 1794 and there is no way that dash speaker is gonna fit without some trimming.
If you are available to share a little more info I would be glad to send you a case of beer!!

The tweeters and components fit great... Although I cant figure out if the factory wires will for this setup or if I need to run a new speaker wire from the amp to the crossover (already can wires to the speakers from crossover)

·
Premium Member
4,848 Posts
They took apart the dash and install them from underneath

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.