Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Making the jump....

I had the 3/1 level kit installed with less than 1k miles on the truck. I also installed some new XD Series 18" wheels and 295/70-18 Nitto Trail Grapplers at the same time. I've been happy with that setup and now have 19k miles on the truck.

So as happy as I am, I've still wanted the truck just a bit taller. I've read all of the threads about all of the different lift options. Since my truck still have almost 20k miles left on the factory warranty, I don't want to do anything that cannot be undone easily. Cutting out the frame cross-member wasn't going to be an option. I considered a body lift, but I'm really not a fan of those either....so after lots of reading and thinking, I contacted Jeepers Den in Orlando, which is only 18 miles from my house and ordered the Rough Country 6" lift. They are a RCX authorized dealer and installer. They gave me a great price and assured me they'd stand by the product and install.

Truck is going in on Aug 12th for the install.

Anything in particular I should let them know about with regards to the kit install? Anything I should expect might be different as far as the truck handling? I don't do any serious off-roading and I never had any problems related to the 3/1 kit.

Cheers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dropped truck off this afternoon at JeepersDen... Will be picking up tomorrow afternoon. Hope to post some pics

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Awesome can't wait to see pics

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dropped truck off this afternoon at JeepersDen... Will be picking up tomorrow afternoon. Hope to post some pics
Hey put some pics up once you get your truck back. I'm also looking into getting this setup but I'm concerned about the cutting of frame. :eek:

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
So how's the ride/driving vs the 3/1? Looks great BTW!! I want to go to a 6" but there are so many to choose from, it's gonna be tough to decide which one when I'm ready (save enough $$)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey man looks great! just got mine done too. What's your ground to fender measurements with this kit?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the compliments....

The lift seems to be of good build quality. The installers did a great job and were very professional. I think the truck is at a perfect height now. The only thing Ive notice different is the ride is slightly rougher than the level kit and the steering geometry seems to have changed. The one nice thing about the tundra is the super sharp turning radius. Its not as tight as it used to be. Im not sure if that is normal?

Im getting an alignment as I type and I have to take the truck back after 500 miles so the installer can go through everything.

Will post any updates.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
I'm going to install the same lift on my DC. The steering will be not as tight, that lift has steering stops that bolt on the bottom of the knuckle and stop you from full lock turning anymore. I bought my kit used and had to order both side steering stops.

Reactions: BigBlueAZ

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok just noticed something weird. I decided to put the truck into 4wd high and drive down the street. I got this weird vibration/pulse that would come and go. You could feel it in the front end. It didn't really seem to increase or decrease with speed. As soon as I disengage the 4wd, it got right away as soon as the hubs unlock. When I put into 4wd low, I get a constant whine sound, not sure if that is new as I never really used 4wd low much before. But the vibration in the front was never there before the lift install...

Anyone have any ideas? I have the carrier bearing drop for the rear and the problem is definately in the front. Will call JeeperDen tomorrow and advise them of the issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Disregard, I believe this sound is normal when engaging 4wd on pavement. Sound not present when I do the same thing in the grass or dirt..

Cheers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update

Just a follow up to the post. I am very impressed with the Rough Country lift. I had a chance to do some trail riding today and the kit performed very well. The extra height definitely gave me more confidence when going through mud and water. I hit some trails with speed and the suspension felt good and tight. After a few hours of fun, the truck felt just as solid on the road. I have a few more miles til my 500 mile checkup. Now this kit probably wouldn't be a good solution if you live somewhere you need extreme articulation, but for here in FL, its just fine.

The vibration that I felt on the road wasn't present off road, unless I was on a really hard packed dirt road. I believe this would be normal, but I will have JeepersDen do a thorough inspection when I take it back.

Love the lift and it makes the truck look much more aggressive.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Any pics of the steering geometry?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I'm going to say that after some more time on this lift, I wouldn't recommend it!

The steering absolutely sucks now! The knuckles are not coated in anything and rust immediately... The CV axle angles are horrible and I get quite a bit of popping and clicking from my front end now. I think I'm leaking some diff fluid in the front drivers side from the CV axle being pulled from the diff. The steering stops are crap and bend out of place easy...The rear shocks that RC includes require a spacer to mount... WTF why not just include a shock that fits the application?

The lift does make the truck look good.. The ride is nice and tight, a bit stiff but actually corners better with the stiffer suspension. If I had to do it over again, I think I'd wait and get a lift that was higher quality. I didn't want to cut the crossmember....in retrospect, there is a good reason why all other lifts over 3" require this... Need that front diff leveled out.

This lift would be perfect for the 2wd guy that wants a lift.....its all show and no go.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've heard nothing but bad from Rough Country lifts. Sorry to hear your having problems, if you do it again go with Pro Comp.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts