Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

2wd to 4wd?

4K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  2wdTundra 
#1 ·
hey, im pretty new to this sight and my truck, but i was wandering if its possible to do a 2wd to 4wd conversion on my 2003 tundra limited. I like to go mudding with my buddies, but it would be nice to have 4wd. if anyone has the parts list i might need, that would be great. thanks

#18 ·
Dare I ask what happened to the other two?

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
It has been done before, I copied a discussion from Facebook that he had explaining what he did.

Thanks everyone!. Nope no SAS for me 2wd conversion to 4wd is as crazy as i am going to get. That's what happens when somone tells you it CAN"T be done.....really???? HMMM Well its done and works like she came from toyota that way. Most people cant even tell. I really like all the rigs you guys/gals have, this place rocks!
October 23, 2012 at 9:23am · Unlike · 2

I have a friend who owns a wrecking yard, so he found me a wrecked 2003 4wd and I used parts from it. Front hubs had to be changed the 2wd ones don't have splines. I bought 2 rebuilt front axles and installed 4.88's in the front to match the rear that was already done. The trans was a plug and play from the donor truck, as was the front diff, driveshafts and trans crossmember. The 4x4 ecu plugged right in inside the truck as did the 4x4 switch panel. Once those 2 components were installed, I added the 4x4 fuse and all the lights started to flash.. The hardest parts was building 2 wire harnesses. 1 is from the plug behind the glove box to the transfercase, the other is from the plug behind e glovebox to the front diff. The 2wd engine ecu worked just fine, but I happened to have a 4wd ecu, so I used it. If I missed anything let me know. I have more

#10 ·
Lol buy a tow strap, so if you get stuck your buddy can pull you out, still playing in the mud, and I'm sure your buddy will have fun pulling you out so now you guys are still having fun in the mud... done deal

Reactions: Dnairn
#11 ·
Victor from Findlay Toyota in Las Vegas converted his- http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/members/48807-mustang67408.html Send him a message and he can tell you ballpark the cost and if its worth it or not. Not sure he has been on the site in awhile and not giving you his cell # lol but looks like you can email him but it may take a few days. If your serious I can send him a message and tell him to check the board.

I would just put a locker in the rear and call it done. Long travel the front and blast thru the desert :D

#13 ·
Stupid question but what is a locker? I'm assuming something that locks both wheels in the rear so they both spin rather than just the one wheel spinning in the mud.:scratchhead::dunno:

#14 ·
Well you shouldn't be spinning them that fast. Or in a spot where it might catch quickly - you could throw an LSD in there too but it all depends on how you plan to use the truck. I would think either way would be less expensive than a 2wd->4wd conversion.
Not sure what is available for the Gen1's

#15 ·
#16 ·
Best Idea by N2deep, go with the Lockers.

#19 ·
well, i used to have a jeep i went mudding in alll the time, never had any problems, had a 1989 f150 and went mudding quite often in that and didnt have problems other than getting stuck. So i think when i get the money, a locker will have to do. Oh and would a locker mess me up some how working out at my grandpas ranch? like pullin the trailor or haulin wood around?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.