Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Tundra Double Cab non-JBL system. I’ve recently installed a new Pioneer deck along with a JL Audio 500/5 powering the factory speakers with the stock wiring harness. Also, I’m using a JL Audio 10w3v3 under the rear seat.

My question is what speakers are the dash speakers ran from?

I was playing around with the balance/fader on the receiver and noticed I have no sound when all to the front and when I use the rear I still hear music from the dash speakers.

I color coded all the wiring from the stock harness. I used speed wire.

Sounds good. But now I wonder if it could sound better. Shouldn’t the front/rear fader alter between front/rear speakers even with the stock wiring?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had an after market in my 2008 and I just put the component tweets in the dash. Using all the factory wires. No issues. Wonder if you have some wires crossed?

2014 Limited
20x9 Fuel Krank wheels
33 x 12.5 Toyo Open Country RT
ToyTec/Eibach 3" Lift
Total Chaos Fabrication upper control arms
JBL Entune with add on Kicker 1000W 12" 2-Ohm Slim Shallow Subwoofer

Sent from my S10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had an after market in my 2008 and I just put the component tweets in the dash. Using all the factory wires. No issues. Wonder if you have some wires crossed?

2014 Limited
20x9 Fuel Krank wheels
ToyTec/Eibach 3" Lift

That’s what I’m guessing. Not sure how though but could be a possibility. All the speakers are factory. And I’m using the speed wire that’s color coded.

·
Registered
138 Posts
That’s what I’m guessing. Not sure how though but could be a possibility. All the speakers are factory. And I’m using the speed wire that’s color coded.
Did the front work to start with? Head unit issue or same not pushing the front channels? Just throwing it ideas here.

2014 Limited
20x9 Fuel Krank wheels
ToyTec/Eibach 3" Lift

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did the front work to start with? Head unit issue or same not pushing the front channels? Just throwing it ideas here.

2014 Limited
20x9 Fuel Krank wheels
ToyTec/Eibach 3" Lift

Yes everything worked. I think the driver side door speaker doesn’t work now. But it’s factory. Could be blown. Lol.

I’ll swap the wires at the amp to see if the speaker is blown.
I may take the deck out and just double check the wiring. Originally all speakers worked. But since the driver side stopped that’s when I checked the balance/fader.

·
Registered
13,544 Posts
On my 2010, the front speakers the signal went to the dash speakers first and that is where they are crossed over and sent to the doors after. Initially I ran a processor and had to tie in before the dash speakers to get full signal. Maybe the crossover circuit is toast from too much power.

·
Registered
138 Posts
On my 2010, the front speakers the signal went to the dash speakers first and that is where they are crossed over and sent to the doors after. Initially I ran a processor and had to tie in before the dash speakers to get full signal. Maybe the crossover circuit is toast from too much power.
Possibly, I only ran with the stock speakers for about a year until I HAD to upgrade to pioneer components all the way around.

2014 Limited
20x9 Fuel Krank wheels
ToyTec/Eibach 3" Lift

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there a physical crossover or how are they at the dash speakers? I guess I can take the dash speakers out to see if I can see extra wires.

I know I’ll upgrade the speakers and use new speed wire soon. But now I’m curious if I can bypass these stock crossovers

·
Registered
138 Posts
Is there a physical crossover or how are they at the dash speakers? I guess I can take the dash speakers out to see if I can see extra wires.

I know I’ll upgrade the speakers and use new speed wire soon. But now I’m curious if I can bypass these stock crossovers
When I did mine I saw another set of wires leading back from the mid in the door so I just put the crossover there and used that wire to the tweets in the dash. Worked great. Not sure if it was run different in yours.

2014 Limited
20x9 Fuel Krank wheels
ToyTec/Eibach 3" Lift

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info. I just searched the forum and found another thread about the dash speakers wiring with the 4 speaker wires on each side.

I’m going to swap the rear speaker wires with the front speaker wires to see how it sounds.

Remember, this JL Audio 500/5 is 100x2 front and only 15x2 rear. So, being as how I’m only getting output on rear speakers and not front I’m curious as to what difference the front and rear swap will make. It won’t hurt to try.

Again, this is just curiosity. I’m going to swap out to aftermarket 6.5 components anyway soon. And, I’ll go ahead and just run new wires.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I just searched the forum and found another thread about the dash speakers wiring with the 4 speaker wires on each side.

I’m going to swap the rear speaker wires with the front speaker wires to see how it sounds.

Remember, this JL Audio 500/5 is 100x2 front and only 15x2 rear. So, being as how I’m only getting output on rear speakers and not front I’m curious as to what difference the front and rear swap will make. It won’t hurt to try.

Again, this is just curiosity. I’m going to swap out to aftermarket 6.5 components anyway soon. And, I’ll go ahead and just run new wires.
You are welcome, I also built a custom center console for my 2008 that had a 12 inch Alpine sub down firing. Lol. No user for it in the 2014. My 2008 did not have the great ducts in the center console.

2014 Limited
20x9 Fuel Krank wheels
ToyTec/Eibach 3" Lift

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[/URL]

Link to my original center console sub build. Changed it later to down firing.

2014 Limited
20x9 Fuel Krank wheels
ToyTec/Eibach 3" Lift

link isn’t working

·
Registered
138 Posts
I’m curious to see the console
Yes still have it up in the rafters, I will take a pic and send sometime this weekend while I am snowed in.

2014 Limited
20x9 Fuel Krank wheels
ToyTec/Eibach 3" Lift

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes still have it up in the rafters, I will take a pic and send sometime this weekend while I am snowed in.

2014 Limited
20x9 Fuel Krank wheels
ToyTec/Eibach 3" Lift

wait a minute.... you still have the box?
Want to sell it?

·
Registered
13,544 Posts

My 2010 was fairly crude. Yota stock stereo systems really aren't great. Even my plat sucks.

The wiring went from the HU to the dash speakers/tweeters. That is where the crossover was, after that it runs to the doors. So if the crossover is toast, it could stop sound to the tweeter/dash and the door. At 100 watts, anything is possible. I didn't trust the stock wiring with 100 rms, so I ran new wiring even when I just used the processor.
Hell, when I sold/traded the truck I pulled the 900/5 and bought a Pioneer GM series 4 chan amp to throw in just because I didn't feel like re-wiring everything... I even left the nx605 HU in it. Shouldn't have.

I would check wiring and investigate first before assuming they are toast... I eventually replaced the processor with a new HU, and didn't have signal to all speakers, I thought it was the HU, got another, swapped and same issue. My 6 channel rca cable was defective. I was running a JL HD900/5, Pioneer D series components front, tweeters mounted in dash area, and woofer in the front door, D series coax's in rear.

I will say I loved those speakers for the price. They are not Focal's, but I loved them enough to put them in my hooptie beater car a week or few ago. They sound great in my shitbox too (price considered vs Focal's)!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My 2010 was fairly crude. Yota stock stereo systems really aren't great. Even my plat sucks.

The wiring went from the HU to the dash speakers/tweeters. That is where the crossover was, after that it runs to the doors. So if the crossover is toast, it could stop sound to the tweeter/dash and the door. At 100 watts, anything is possible. I didn't trust the stock wiring with 100 rms, so I ran new wiring even when I just used the processor.
Hell, when I sold/traded the truck I pulled the 900/5 and bought a Pioneer GM series 4 chan amp to throw in just because I didn't feel like re-wiring everything... I even left the nx605 HU in it. Shouldn't have.

I would check wiring and investigate first before assuming they are toast... I eventually replaced the processor with a new HU, and didn't have signal to all speakers, I thought it was the HU, got another, swapped and same issue. My 6 channel rca cable was defective. I was running a JL HD900/5, Pioneer D series components front, tweeters mounted in dash area, and woofer in the front door, D series coax's in rear.

I will say I loved those speakers for the price. They are not Focal's, but I loved them enough to put them in my hooptie beater car a week or few ago. They sound great in my shitbox too (price considered vs Focal's)!
Thanks. I’m going to bypass the crossovers when I have time and see if the speakers still work. If so, I’ll just rewrite it before buying new speakers lol.

·
Registered
138 Posts
wait a minute.... you still have the box?
Want to sell it?
I'll send you pics and then you tell me if it might work for you. Might be tomorrow by the time I get pics though.

2014 Limited
20x9 Fuel Krank wheels
ToyTec/Eibach 3" Lift

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll send you pics and then you tell me if it might work for you. Might be tomorrow by the time I get pics though.

2014 Limited
20x9 Fuel Krank wheels
ToyTec/Eibach 3" Lift

Thanks. sounds good. Just let me know

1 - 20 of 21 Posts