Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm gonna be pulling the trigger on some new tires within the next day or two... I can get a fairly good deal on some Terra Grappler's in 295/70-18 or some 285/75-18 Toyo Open country m/t's.. yes I know they are different beast... But the Toyo's are a walk in/ drive out with them on kinda deal.. Nitto's are about a week lead time.. My current set-up is stock TRD 18's with bilstein 1500's all around with fronts at top setting... according to both websites the actual measurements on both are fairly close ( 35.1" for Toyo and 34.41" for Nitto ) So I guess I'm looking for pics/experiances with and opinions on which to go with.. The Nitto's are more practical but the Toyo's are just so damn good looking.. Thanks
-Derek

P.S yes I'm aware of the possible need to trim plastic and maybe skid...

Reactions: Hsmit107

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
The bilsteins only give you about 2.5. Guys have made it work, but in my opinion you need an extra 1/2"-1" lift to make them not looked stuffed. 3.5" lift from ome makes them look perfect, but with the right offset wheel the LRO 3/1 looks ok.

I wouldn't buy a tire that "looks cool" if you drive a lot. Get a tire that suits your needs first. So you have to wait a week for the Terra's? So what! Don't get the toyo just for instant gratification... If you want the toyo's, I would go 33x12.50x18. If you go nittos, 285/65r18, 295/70r18. Another size to consider is 305/65r18 if you go with a different brand. Def stay away from those 285/75's. unless you have stock rims.

Reactions: mchooch

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I agree, I think either of those tires are going to look too big with 2.5" lift (not to mention possible fit issues). I have 2" front lift and 295/65-18 and they look perfect size wise. I only had to remove the front mini mud flap and no rubbing now (+25 offset wheels).

·
Registered
577 Posts
subed for pics.

3/2 kit on mine with 295/70/18's... it sits perfect for me
pics! any mods to make the tires fit? what offset you running?

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
295/70/18 Terra's on 2.5 lift

I installed the pro comp 2.5 adjustable struts. I am running Terra's in 295/70/18 with +20 offset wheels. Here is a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I can knock one tire off the list, today I went in and had a test fit to see if the 285/75-18 Toyo M/T's would fit.... Well the answer is no on stock TRD wheels and Bilsteins at top setting... The tires went on nice and turned good but contacted the front sway bar and skid plate... So the place is gonna have a set of Nitto terra's in 295/70-18 and Duratrac's in 295/65-18 on friday and we'll see how it goes...

·
Registered
442 Posts
I just got 295/70's put on my stock rims today. No rubbing with a 3" level kit, but it's close.

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mchooch your truck looks great.. any other pics by any chance? how close is close? I know that 285/75-18's barely don't fit, at full lock the knobs hit the sway bar by about an 1/8" or so..

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thanks, gossemer. I have about a hand width between the tire and the UCA. When I got to full lock I did actually rub the wheel well but not on the sway bar or skid plate. It's an easy fix. You could always remove your sway bar, too. I will get some closer pics for you tomorrow to show you, it's about to rain and getting dark so the light will be terrible.

Edit: Ok, here are some pics. At full lock I rub the skid plate, just slightly. I have a full hand width between the lug and the front wheel well liner. No rub on the back side of the wheel well. I may end up bending on the ski plate to free up some room. I hope these pics help you out, let me know if you want more or better quality pics. It's just me home tonight so I can have my wife in the seat tomorrow and take some better pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you very much for the additional pics... they are fine.. question on pic #2.. is that at full lock or close to it? That's the spot the M/T's rubbed

·
Registered
442 Posts
it's at just before full lock. Since it was just me I couldn't get it to hold at full lock when I'd get out to take pics. The lugs just hit the skid plate enough to warrant some modification to the plate. I can get a better pic tomorrow when my wife gets home.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
mchooch- how do you like the Nittos so far??? I ended up going with 295/65-18 duratracs, but I'm contimplating the nitto's ( the place I went to has a 30 day test drive ) I might have to get spacers because at full lock they might touch the sway bar..

toy4x4boy- do you have any other pics of your truck??

Reactions: Caffac76

·
Registered
361 Posts
I went with the 295/70 size tire with +18 offset. Mine only rubs a little in a full lock in reverse.

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
mchooch- how do you like the Nittos so far??? I ended up going with 295/65-18 duratracs, but I'm contimplating the nitto's ( the place I went to has a 30 day test drive ) I might have to get spacers because at full lock they might touch the sway bar..

toy4x4boy- do you have any other pics of your truck??
Hey Gossemer. I really like these Nitto's. They have a fairly aggressive tread and I need that and the 10 ply for the high desert roads out here. They hum a bit at highway speeds but that's ok. I was worried that the alignment and stuff would be an issue but it wasn't. Can't wait to get my new wheels on these puppies next month!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
any rubbing on the front sway bar??

·
Registered
442 Posts
Just a little. I'm more restricted by rubbing up against it and it not being allowed to go quite to full lock. So after my wife brings it home this weekend I'm removing it! I read up and it seems like the sway bar is just an impedance to suspension performance. Plus I'm gonna get the Kore Fox CO's later this summer/fall so the sway bar can go. You getting any rubbing with the tires you've got on now?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have to tweak the skid plate but no rubbing otherwise... when I had the nitto's test fit they seem to rub.. but I'm tossed if I want the extra size or not...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts