Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m putting a 2.5” kit on the front of my 2017 2WD SR5. I want to run Toyo AT II’s on 17’s but I only see them offered in 285/70/17 and 305/70/17. Can I fit a 305?

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I’m putting a 2.5” kit on the front of my 2017 2WD SR5. I want to run Toyo AT II’s on 17’s but I only see them offered in 285/70/17 and 305/70/17. Can I fit a 305?
This is a thread I started about dealerships putting 305/55/20s on stock (+55) wheels with a 3" spacer.
Your 305/55/17 would be about a half inch taller than the 305/55/20.

https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-wheels-tires/545994-dealership-says-no-problem-tire-size-305-55-r20.html

What is the offset of the 17 wheel vs your stock wheels?
That will be a big factor in your fitting..

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
17" means you are wanting to run the only toyota wheels that come in 17". Peruse the threads where people show theirs wit 305's and see if you really want to do the same. 285 would be my preference for a variety of reasons. Maybe a 295 in a different model tire?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the look and the cost of 17's, specifically Method Race Wheels. Unfortunately they are only offered in 0 offset with 4.75" backspacing from what I've found.

Would like to hear your thoughts on why you prefer 285's over 305's. I find most people in the forums with 285's tend to wish they went a little bigger.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I like the look and the cost of 17's, specifically Method Race Wheels. Unfortunately they are only offered in 0 offset with 4.75" backspacing from what I've found.

Would like to hear your thoughts on why you prefer 285's over 305's. I find most people in the forums with 285's tend to wish they went a little bigger.
33 x 11.5 will fit without having to do anything with the proper offset. That's what I run and I don't want anything bigger. Less mpg and if tow..... you'll end up hooping back in forth from 5th 6th gear more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found some XD that I like. They have 34 offset with 6.09” backspacing. Does that change the game?

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I found some XD that I like. They have 34 offset with 6.09” backspacing. Does that change the game?
Yes it does.
+34 offset is more likely to fit than say a +18 and definitely a 0 offset.
If you read through the wheel threads on the forum, with the 2.5 lift/level you are considering, most that kept it around +60/55 (stock offset) to +24 offset had fewer issues fitting.
+34 would fit right in there.

As @volleyball stated, I'd consider a 295 instead of a 305..

Play around with this calculator with different tires sizes and see what you come up with.
Put your current size in and compare others.
The more you keep it under 33/34 inches tall, the better the fit.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

As well as this offset calculator.

https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay so I played around with the calculator and my only concern is that with a +34 offset the wheel will actually sit further into wheel well? Not exactly a desired look for off-road. Am I reading this correctly? Would like to tire the show a little something in width.
Definitely having trouble finding 17s, much more options in 18s but then the tires are more expensive. Sticking with Toyo for now as I can get a discount on them.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Unless you have steel wheels, the offset of your stock wheels (if you currently have Toyota stock aluminum wheels) should be +60 or +55.
A +34 offset will stick out about an inch further out from stock.
A little more or less depending on your tire size/width.
Make sure you are using the appropriate + or - of your offset when calculating your sizes.

A +34 offset wheel will stick out away from the truck more than a +60 offset wheel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Interesting...my truck has the 18x8 TRD wheels with 0 offset. When I plug in my dimensions vs. desired dimensions below illustration shows the wheel moving closer to the truck.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on the XD129's in 17" paired with Toyo AT II's in 285/70/17, just need to know if the +34 offset on the XD129's will look right or not. I don't want the wheels sucked in too far into the wheel well. Prefer it to stick out slightly actually.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Interesting...my truck has the 18x8 TRD wheels with 0 offset. When I plug in my dimensions vs. desired dimensions below illustration shows the wheel moving closer to the truck.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on the XD129's in 17" paired with Toyo AT II's in 285/70/17, just need to know if the +34 offset on the XD129's will look right or not. I don't want the wheels sucked in too far into the wheel well. Prefer it to stick out slightly actually.
I highly doubt your stock Toyota TRD wheels are 0 offset, should be more like +60 or +55 depending on the wheel.
If is a true stock Toyota OEM wheel, there is no fu(king way it is zero offset.

The offset and wheel size should be stamped on the inside of the wheel somewhere.

+35

+55

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I stand corrected!

Just looked up my wheels and they are indeed +60mm offset.

So it sounds like a +34mm offset is a viable option here.

Thanks so much for the help!!

·
Registered
94 Posts

You'll also need to verify that your wheel selection will clear our big ass brake calipers. It's not so easy with the 17's.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Loving them. Best wheels I’ve had - Arsenals
Just out of curiosity, what makes them the best you've had? What do you like about them over other wheels? Is it simply the look of them, or are there performance reasons too?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts