Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched but can't find it exactly. Anyone running 285/70r18 Ridge Grapplers or other brands on stock 2017 Tundra 4wd on stock wheels? Will it work? I know they are close to 275/70 which people say works. I'm willing to take of mudflaps and bend liner. Eventually want to add 5100s on middle setting.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Width shouldn't be a problem, 285/70-17 was a factory size on the 2009-2013 Rock Warriors. However, you are an inch bigger than that because of your wheel size, or a half inch radially. That tire size calculates out to 33.7", which I would imagine is just fine. The factory sizes for the 2014+ Tundra's and the regular 2007-2013 Tundra's all end up right at 32-32.5" or so.

Reactions: MDHinSD

·
Registered
327 Posts
I currently have 5100 on middle and am planning to go to this size as well. I figured they'll either fit or may require some minor trimming or removal of the front mud flaps.

Do you think the 1" difference would necessitate a speedo calibration?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I've read that going up in size a little bit has actually "corrected" the error in the optimistic speedo. You'd have to verify by GPS before and after to get a good idea of how you feel about it. I remember when I had my Garmin on my dash with stock tires, the GPS was always reading 1 to 2 mph slower around 70 mph. I haven't had that GPS on the dash in a while since I started using Waze on my phone, but now with my 285/70R17's (about .7" bigger than the 275/65R18's that came on my truck) the speedo and Waze usually agree.

Reactions: MDHinSD

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I ran 275/70/18 on my truck stock for a few weeks before leveling. I know it fit with no issues, but I don't know if the 285/70/18 would be as easy. According to Nitto's website, the Ridge Grapplers are almost 34" tall. I think for normal driving, those adjustments you were willing to make will be ok, but I wouldn't try to do alot of offroading with it because i think you will rub much more.

I really like that size though, and I think would look perfect with modest leveling kits. I currently have a 2" kit on mine.

Reactions: equin

·
Registered
327 Posts
I saw that too and that is my concern. I don’t really do any off roading...the most would be a field with some small bumps here and there lol. I guess when the time comes I’ll go with that size and if I have issue I’ll either go to the top setting on the 5100 or get some CB shims.

Looking at them on a comparison site, they are 5% bigger in diameter than stock. At 70 mph there’s a 3.5 mph increase. I’ll do like riccnick said and verify with gps before buying the hypertech.

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I will say my 275/70/18 shows dead on now with the GPS. I never checked it before, but now it's correct. I think my odometer is off slightly though. I figured it up before, but I want to say it was around like 3%. When I pass mile markers on the highways, I get to them before my truck reads a mile. It starts out pretty close, but over the course of a few miles it is more noticeable.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Anyone running 285/70r18 Ridge Grapplers or other brands on stock 2017 Tundra 4wd on stock wheels? Will it work? I know they are close to 275/70 which people say works. I'm willing to take of mudflaps and bend liner. Eventually want to add 5100s on middle setting.
295/70r18 works, so 285s wouldn't be a problem. You don't need a lift for either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bringing this thread back from the dead because I have a 2016 4x4 SR5 CrewMAX Tundra with stock suspension. I'm looking to just throw the Nitto 285/70/18 on and do mostly highway with a little camping trail driving for now until I settle on which suspension I want. Does anyone have pictures of what that looks like and whether or not anything needed to be cut?

Modified suspensions or lift/spacer kit pictures don't help me. Sorry, don't mean to be rude.

·
Registered
348 Posts
This thread never answered the original question with any first-hand experience or accounts. I'm curious to know as well whether they'll fit without a lift and with just cutting of plastic liners and removal of front flap. My 275/70/18s rubbed bad on the front flap in reverse and while turning with no lift and aftermarket wheels with +25 offset. I think wheel offset has more to do with the rubbing, though, and a stock offset will have less rubbing issues. But with this size tire, I'm guessing some plastic liner cutting and front flap removal may have to be done to fit with no lift and stock offset wheels. With aftermarket wheels with less offset, I'm guessing a lift will help more with that and don't know if they'll fit without a lift and some minor cutting.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Like I said earlier, you can fit 295/70r18s on stock rims without a lift or BMC so 285s are fine. You'll need to mess with or remove plastic. How much depends on your particular alignment details.

A lift will not cure front or back rubbing when you hit a bump... unless you lift > 4".

My tires are a lot bigger than 285/70r18 and I have +25 offset wheels and no lift. In the front I had to move the liner forward and heat gun it. In the back I had to do the BMC but it was close to not needing it. Liner manipulation and a little body trimming was needed in the back as well. Of course the flaps are gone.

Reactions: Aaron713

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thanks for the reply, rruff. When you say a little body trimming, what do you mean? Did you have to cut some sheet metal?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Thanks for the reply, rruff. When you say a little body trimming, what do you mean? Did you have to cut some sheet metal?
I think people call it the pinch weld where the body attaches at the rear of the wheel well. It's just some sheet metal that sticks out a bit. You can take a hammer to it or trim it. I think you would only need to touch that if you are also needing (or about to need) the BMC though.

Reactions: equin

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thanks, rruff. I'm familiar with the pinch weld mod. Have done it before on Tacomas using a hammer.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thought I'd give an update on a different set of tires I recently had installed that are roughly the same width and diameter as the 285/70/18s. I went with 285/75/17 (17" wheel instead of 18" wheel).

Prior to install, I removed the plastic bumper liner in front of the tire so I could cut it later. The tires fit perfectly fine without that liner and with close to 1.9" of front lift on 17" Icon Rebounds with +25 offset. They easily clear the rear mud flap and body/cab mount in the front fender well. Since I had already removed the plastic liner up front, I don't know if they would've rubbed it, though. I intend to reinstall the liners once I cut them so they'll sit a bit forward of the tire. Anyway, for the sake of anyone else researching this tire (or the similarly sized 285/75/17) I figured I'd let them know my experience so they can make a more informed decision.

Reactions: cliffy
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.