Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the reasoning behind these two tire sizes for the trucks?

My truck came with 255/70/18s and Would I see a drop in gas mileage and tire wear just switching up to the 275/65/18s?

· Premium Member
11,775 Posts
Just a shot in the dark, but I would imagine that 4wd (or 2wd with TRD) trucks come with the wider 275 tire for increased traction off-road. The 275 is only 1/2" wider but it will also weigh slightly more, height wise they are virtually identical. Assuming that you go with a 275 tire that has virtually the same type of tread pattern then you should not take much of a hit on fuel mileage, a little one but really not much. There is no reason why they should wear any faster.

· Read Only
3,501 Posts
The 275/65 would be wider with a little shorter sidewall. Overall tire height is prob pretty close to the same (don't have my calculator handy). MPG wouldn't differ hardly at all.... if any at all :)

Oh and I always like a wider tire for handling and wear... just my opinion though

· Read Only
3,501 Posts
As far as I know, 2 tires that are the same height/diameter, on an 18" wheel, would have the same sidewall height no matter what the aspect ratio :dunno:

I.e., if a 255/70/18 is 32" tall, and a 275/65/18 is 32" tall, wouldn't both tires have a 7" sidewall?
yeah true in these 2 sizes. i think it's like .2" shorter in sidewall in the sizes he listed. so i said a little shorter ;)

· Read Only
3,501 Posts
Bad dad is right though really... same size tire height is so close with the sidewall height....you might as well say its the same. .1 to .2 inches isnt really noticeable. Different tires from different manufacturers will measure differently for the same size tire too.

· Registered
2,357 Posts
Steel wheel trucks have the 255 Alum the 275 at least last time i looked, the contact patch is slightly bigger and the tire is slightly heavier so the 275 should get less mileage. Not much but some.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.