Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new here!

I have a couple questions about wheels and tires on my mostly stock RW.

I do like the 17" trd alloys th!t come on these trucks, but i also think they look too small on such a big truck.

Under consideration are the 20" platinum wheels that come on the 2011's, the 20" TRD Sport wheels(also called the carved I believe), and some 22's I found on eBay that look like Lexus wheels.

My owners manual says that I should use the 285's which are like 32.76" tall. I want to stay with the same tire size.and width and I'm not sure if they make a LT285/R70/22 whatever the correct tire code would be.

Any ideas? Or better yet, anybody put larger wheels on a unlifted RW before? Mine is the extended cab.

Thanks yall!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
285/70/22 are not even close to your stock tires 285/70/17. if you go with the 22 route youll want to run more like a 285/45/22(32.1 inch tires) or 285/50/22(33.2 in tires).

with 33 in tires you will want to put at least a leveling kit on your truck. Tons of guys run larger tires than stock on their trucks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
285/70/22 are not even close to your stock tires 285/70/17. if you go with the 22 route youll want to run more like a 285/45/22(32.1 inch tires) or 285/50/22(33.2 in tires).

with 33 in tires you will want to put at least a leveling kit on your truck. Tons of guys run larger tires than stock on their trucks!
Yeah I've already got the 'stein 5100's up front on the second setting, and I've trimmed the skid plate because the RW oem tires were already rubbing.

I've got enough room for the 32.76" size, but d you know what the wheel width on these trd wheels are? I've read both 8, 8.5. Do I have to stay with the same width rim or could I go wider? I don't even know what the advantage of a wider wheel would be if any?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Those are nice wheels but i would look into the trd 22's

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Yeah I've already got the 'stein 5100's up front on the second setting, and I've trimmed the skid plate because the RW oem tires were already rubbing.

I've got enough room for the 32.76" size, but d you know what the wheel width on these trd wheels are? I've read both 8, 8.5. Do I have to stay with the same width rim or could I go wider? I don't even know what the advantage of a wider wheel would be if any?
18" TRD rims are 8" wide. Most the Tundra stock rims are as well.
Depending on what tire size you go with you may need a wider rim.
You need to look at the specs section the tire manu. lists on their website.
Lot's of guys use 8.5-9" rims and sometimes 10" depending on application.

·
Registered
607 Posts
305/45/22 fits like a charm on rock warriors!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I will need to sell them once I get some bigger rims. Gotta go buy some wheels and tires before I can sell some wheels and tires tho! :banghead:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
305/45/22 fits like a charm on rock warriors!!!
holla the 305s did not have any rub? And forgive me for my ignorance, but the treads you're running are the same height as OEM RW tires arent they? You should post a pic with those blingin' wheels, ive never seen a RW with dubs on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow so I have spoken to several dealers about ordering the trd 22"s and they all say that the wheel is not ourchasable, unless its a replacement of a dealer installed wheel.

·
Registered
270 Posts
the 305/45r22's do fit very well in the wheel wells. Ill post a picture of my truck in the daylight asap

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool, thanks cmax that would Definetly help. I'm seeing that bfg at's are not available for a 22" wheel, so that may end up being a deciding factor. Looks like nitto terras are tho, so who knows. With an LT285, a 22" wheel should have about the same wheel to rubber ratio as a 275 on a 20. I want really want the trd 22"s, im just thinking that 3k is way too much before I even put shoes on them. Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
C With an LT285, a 22" wheel should have about the same wheel to rubber ratio as a 275 on a 20.
No sir, you are incorrect. 285 is the width, as is the 275. The middle number is the ratio. As in 285/45/22 or 275/55/20. Those are just examples. Generally a 285/45/22 would be the same overall diameter and width as a 285/55/20.
It also depends on how you are using the term ration. Are you talking about equal side wall height or equal overall diameter. If youre talking about equal sidewall height then with a 22" wheel the overall diameter is going to be larger than a 20" wheel. Kinda self explanitory, if you have a 6" sidewall on a 20" wheel, a 6" side wall on a 22" wheel is going to be 2" larger in overall diameter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No sir, you are incorrect. 285 is the width, as is the 275. The middle number is the ratio. As in 285/45/22 or 275/55/20. Those are just examples. Generally a 285/45/22 would be the same overall diameter and width as a 285/55/20.
It also depends on how you are using the term ration. Are you talking about equal side wall height or equal overall diameter. If youre talking about equal sidewall height then with a 22" wheel the overall diameter is going to be larger than a 20" wheel. Kinda self explanitory, if you have a 6" sidewall on a 20" wheel, a 6" side wall on a 22" wheel is going to be 2" larger in overall diameter.
Yeah, you are right! I forgot what each number represented. I was referring to OD too, so that includes sidewall, width, etc. But if you put a 22" wheel into a tire with the same width and height as the 20" was in, are you not going to have less rubber? I mean the tire will remain the same size externally, but inside space is reduced.

Would a 305/45/22 fit onto a 22x8.5 wheel? Or maybe a slightly wider wheel would be better for that tire size.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Yeah, youre right, you would have less rubber (sidewall). I think for a 305/45/22 youd want to run at least a 9" wide wheel.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I have 305/45r22 on my 2WD '07...

I'm sure there has to be a little more room on the RW.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
ok, first...

your stock rw was rubbing rubbers?

my stock rw has a ton of clearance, like literally, i think i could fit almost a 34 if i tried ( depending on squash of suspension while at full lock)

i have not had any rub at all, the stock rw is engineered to fit the stock 33's ( 32.7xxx = 33 for all intent and purpose) without rubbing... mine dont rub , why did yours?

if you have a level, you should be able to fit most 33's without an issue as long as you dont go too wide or wrong backspacing... the rw wheels are +60 if i recall correctly, which is half of why it can fit 33's without rub.

second.

for fun, remove all your beadlock look rings, that alone adds 2-3 inches of appearance on the wheels. i removed mine, and had i done it before the road vibration wore some of the paint through it would look sweet... it does look sweet, better than normal rw, but i have some small spots where the paint is dull, and a few spots where its through.

makes them look wayy larger. the rings make them look like 15's.

third: you can find a ton of tire size calculators online, look at one of them ( use google) and you will find what size and aspect ratio you need to fit and look good.

i wouldn't really wanna go above 20's personally, and prolly will stick to 18's when i eventually buy different wheels just to keep enough sidewall for mi. roads and an aggressive offroad look.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
ok, first...

your stock rw was rubbing rubbers?

my stock rw has a ton of clearance, like literally, i think i could fit almost a 34 if i tried ( depending on squash of suspension while at full lock)

i have not had any rub at all, the stock rw is engineered to fit the stock 33's ( 32.7xxx = 33 for all intent and purpose) without rubbing... mine dont rub , why did yours?

if you have a level, you should be able to fit most 33's without an issue as long as you dont go too wide or wrong backspacing... the rw wheels are +60 if i recall correctly, which is half of why it can fit 33's without rub.

second.

for fun, remove all your beadlock look rings, that alone adds 2-3 inches of appearance on the wheels. i removed mine, and had i done it before the road vibration wore some of the paint through it would look sweet... it does look sweet, better than normal rw, but i have some small spots where the paint is dull, and a few spots where its through.

makes them look wayy larger. the rings make them look like 15's.

third: you can find a ton of tire size calculators online, look at one of them ( use google) and you will find what size and aspect ratio you need to fit and look good.

i wouldn't really wanna go above 20's personally, and prolly will stick to 18's when i eventually buy different wheels just to keep enough sidewall for mi. roads and an aggressive offroad look.
You have a good idea there, I will go check out what they look like without the beadies tomorrow after we close down.

When I first pulled the truck off the trailer from Kansas, I loved it at first site. I had never seen one before, and they are rare in this area. But I noticed that since it had the taller beefy tires, it did not quite look proportionate to me. The front end looked almost like it was sagging.

I slapped on the 5100 billy's and pushed the front up I think it was 1.25-1.5 inches. After that the tires started rubbing on the engine skid plate when I would Turn really Sharp. I trimmed down the skid, ground it down so it wouldn't cut into the rubber and now it doesn't even think about rubbing.

This is why I'm wonder if a 305/45/22 would roll without rubbing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts