Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 days before a 1,000 mile round trip road trip my left front tire was losing pressure. I filled it and it did it again in a few hours so I took it to a local tire shop.

I had a nail at the innermost tread too close to the sidewall to put in an internal patch so they put in an "external plug". This made me nervous, so I told them to put the spare on and put the plugged tire as the spare.

OMG WTH

The spare was an undersized POS that clearly stated " DO NOT DRIVE MORE THAN 50-70 MILES"

As they had put the original tire in the space for the spare it seems to fit (at least for 10 miles).

My question is can I buy a new rim and tire and carry a regular full sized tire as my spare?

THANKS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wouldn't it had been less of a hassle financially just to buy another tire to replace the one that was plugged?

Obviously, it would be nice to have a full-size spare, but you could have a full-size spare with a standard equipment steel rim, instead of paying $1,200 for a Platinum rim, plus the tire, heck you could even get a steel rim from a junkyard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tire from Tire Rack $302, Used (like new) matching platinum wheel from Ebay $428. I will use the plugged tire as the spare. I am just afraid I will be on a road trip with 300 miles left to go on a Sunday afternoon and have a flat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts