Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Well it’s basic physics
Is it? Whats the formula? Curious if you take Diesel engine efficiency into your basic physics?
Edit: Or even transmissions and gearing? I doubt thats "basic physics" though.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Is it? Whats the formula? Curious if you take Diesel engine efficiency into your basic physics?
Edit: Or even transmissions and gearing? I doubt thats "basic physics" though.
Ok. If you truly think a vehicle weighing in excess of what 8-10 thousand pounds gets 30 mpg. You’re special.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts

·
Premium Member
149 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hahahha, of course you go back to insults. Peace be with you my friend.

Diesels Get 20+ mpg While Towing
Inflated mpg claims while towing are hard to swallow, and they only hurt diesel’s reputation. Our first question, knowing that most trucks are equipped with programmers or larger-than-stock tires (which often throw off a truck’s mileage readout), is always whether or not those numbers were hand-calculated. While 15, and even 16 mpg is believable (and easily outperforms gas-powered trucks in the same vehicle class), that’s on the high end of what any diesel owner should expect to see—unless you’re towing at 30 mph. Why is this myth so harmful? Because a novice will end up purchasing a diesel truck expecting to get outstanding fuel economy while towing. Then, when 15 mpg is realized, it’s nowhere near the 25 mpg they were told they’d see. There are simply too many factors working against a diesel truck with a trailer in tow to see 20-plus-mpg towing (wind, poor aerodynamics, weight, engine load, elevation, rolling resistance).

·
Premium Member
149 Posts

Diesels Get 20+ mpg While Towing
Inflated mpg claims while towing are hard to swallow, and they only hurt diesel’s reputation. Our first question, knowing that most trucks are equipped with programmers or larger-than-stock tires (which often throw off a truck’s mileage readout), is always whether or not those numbers were hand-calculated. While 15, and even 16 mpg is believable (and easily outperforms gas-powered trucks in the same vehicle class), that’s on the high end of what any diesel owner should expect to see—unless you’re towing at 30 mph. Why is this myth so harmful? Because a novice will end up purchasing a diesel truck expecting to get outstanding fuel economy while towing. Then, when 15 mpg is realized, it’s nowhere near the 25 mpg they were told they’d see. There are simply too many factors working against a diesel truck with a trailer in tow to see 20-plus-mpg towing (wind, poor aerodynamics, weight, engine load, elevation, rolling resistance).
So thats towing. I never said towing. Are you even paying attention?

EDIT: I figured it out. You are being willfully ignorant on purpose. You are playing the long troll. Well played sir. You get the troll award. I am out. Clearly you are on whole other level.

·
Registered
382 Posts
So thats towing. I never said towing. Are you even paying attention?

EDIT: I figured it out. You are being willfully ignorant on purpose. You are playing the long troll. Well played sir. You get the troll award. I am out. Clearly you are on whole other level.
There’s two of you fools. You’re being willingly ignorant. Stop. Take a deep breath it’ll be ok.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
2020 2500 chevy 6.6l diesel here. I get 21 mpg average interstate at 70.
Sad to see the reliable 5.7 sent to the graveyard. I'm just not crazy seeing a small displacement / complex engine go into something needed to haul 10,000 lbs. Well, they never said anything about towing capacity did they?. Maybe their just going after the "eye candy" truck market, rather than a truck that hauls and works. Next, trucks will have a 1.5 L triple turbo diesel motor. Just give me something to tow this:
IMG_7949.JPG

21 - 38 of 38 Posts