Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
This is the second time I have read this information and why I chose to keep my 2010 and add the supercharger and ARBs.

Reactions: Tundrastruck91

·
Registered
16 Posts
I forget where, but yesterday I read the same thing. No more 5.7L in 2022. Maybe all you people will switch to a v6, but I cannot imagine it. And I don't trust turbo's either.... Glad I got my TRD SR5 with an 8' bed a couple months ago. I should be set for 10 years at least. I wonder what that is going to do to the Tundra market? I wonder how pricey used v8's will get in the used market.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I prefer a turbo charger over a direct drive super charger. I believe tha engine runs more like a normally aspirated engine when you are not stepping hard on the accelerator. I also like the sound of a turbo winding up.

In hard use a turbo or super charger will stress engine components a lot more than a normally aspirated engine, and that is where a V8 has the advantage over a smaller force fed engine with the same or similar torque and hp numbers.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I wonder what the reliability is like with the Lexus twin turbo? I know of a few guys with the Ford 3.5 Ecoboost that had to have the turbos replaced at just over 100,000 KM. (Not a cheap job, either).

·
Registered
73 Posts
If they go V6 + turbo I’ll probably be moving to a diesel 3/4 ton for my next truck. The new Ford coupled with their new transmission is getting 20+ mpg and has all the power I need. A couple quick mods to delete def and stuff and I’ll be set. My ‘14 is paid off and has about 48K on it so I won’t be hunting a new truck anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
382 Posts
If they go V6 + turbo I’ll probably be moving to a diesel 3/4 ton for my next truck. The new Ford coupled with their new transmission is getting 20+ mpg and has all the power I need. A couple quick mods to delete def and stuff and I’ll be set. My ‘14 is paid off and has about 48K on it so I won’t be hunting a new truck anytime soon.

I’ve never seen a diesel get 20+. Everyone I know with a new diesel is a good 17-18.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I’ve never seen a diesel get 20+. Everyone I know with a new diesel is a good 17-18.
All I know is what I’ve been told from guys I work with and friends that have them. It all seems to depend on the rear end gearing and transmission.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There is no getting around that a turbo, especially the more modern techy ones, add MUCH more complexity, more difficult service access, and potential drivability issues than natutally aspirated (NA).
Engines run hotter and there is more stress & strain on the enjgine ... unless engine is as overbuilt as a diesel's block & heads, but you're still stuck with complexity.
If I was in the market for another Tundra, I'd either grab a 2021 with 5.7L NA engine, or wait for the 2023 models. There are always unforeseen problems with first 1-2 years of a new chassis/engine design.
I have a 1987 Grand National with turbocharged 3.8L V6. With mild tuning those cars can run low 11-sec 1/4 miles, but there is no way I would rely on such a vehicle for long term, trouble-free durability.
I recently sold a 1994 Chevy K1500 Blazer with 5.7L small block. 245K miles and not a whiff of trouble on the engine or 4-speed trans, not even so much as an oil leak. Larger displacement , slow revving , NA engines are hard to beat.
Whatever extra I spent on gas, I more than made up by not needing any engine or trans repairs, and the aggravation that comes with it. (The "gov bomb" rear axle was another story, tho')

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
2020 2500 chevy 6.6l diesel here. I get 21 mpg average interstate at 70.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
I’m sure you do
I feel like that's a troll. Tfltrucks got 19.9 in the mountains. We Drive 1,000 Miles in the 2020 Chevy Silverado HD To Find Out If The New 10-Speed Gets Better MPG! (Video) - The Fast Lane Truck
You can believe whatever you want. But driving in Knoxville tn, 78f outside on I40 at 70 my 25 mile average was 21 flat. I have checked the computer towing and not and its about spot on usually telling me I am getting worse than I actually am.

EDIT: I want to be abundantly clear. This post was about the 2022 Tundra. I do not advocate that the 2500 is a good truck. Like the other 2 of the big three 3/4's they suck, all of them, I have friends with f250's, f450's, and ram 2500's and 3500's and hall have had numerous issues. Mine had a hose rub on the front drive shaft and spew coolant everywhere (at 4400 miles) because of an engineering defect (they put a cooling hose that heats def in direct path with water coming off the front tire in a slight turn, when hit just right it pushes the rubber pipe to tangle with the front drive shaft). They are stupid expensive to maintain. The only good part is they are capable of legally towing stuff.

Do you really think that if TFLTrucks got 19.9 in the mountains far above sea level, no one can get 21? Thats 5%ish more. Diesels are far more efficient with 1500 3.0l diesels getting in the 30mpg's.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I feel like that's a troll. Tfltrucks got 19.9 in the mountains. We Drive 1,000 Miles in the 2020 Chevy Silverado HD To Find Out If The New 10-Speed Gets Better MPG! (Video) - The Fast Lane Truck
You can believe whatever you want. But driving in Knoxville tn, 78f outside on I40 at 70 my 25 mile average was 21 flat. I have checked the computer towing and not and its about spot on usually telling me I am getting worse than I actually am.

EDIT: I want to be abundantly clear. This post was about the 2022 Tundra. I do not advocate that the 2500 is a good truck. Like the other 2 of the big three 3/4's they suck, all of them, I have friends with f250's, f450's, and ram 2500's and 3500's and hall have had numerous issues. Mine had a hose rub on the front drive shaft and spew coolant everywhere (at 4400 miles) because of an engineering defect (they put a cooling hose that heats def in direct path with water coming off the front tire in a slight turn, when hit just right it pushes the rubber pipe to tangle with the front drive shaft). They are stupid expensive to maintain. The only good part is they are capable of legally towing stuff.

Do you really think that if TFLTrucks got 19.9 in the mountains far above sea level, no one can get 21? Thats 5%ish more. Diesels are far more efficient with 1500 3.0l diesels getting in the 30mpg's.
Nope not a troll. I have plenty of friends with diesels and every one of them are getting 17-18 on the highway. Just like ecoboost owners claim they get high numbers. But the reality is they don’t. My tundra on a 2000 mile round trip returned 17.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Nope not a troll. I have plenty of friends with diesels and every one of them are getting 17-18 on the highway. Just like ecoboost owners claim they get high numbers. But the reality is they don’t. My tundra on a 2000 mile round trip returned 17.
You're right, TFL is full of it. Hahahahhaa.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’m sure you get 30 fully loaded.
AsI thought I said clearly it does not matter how loaded I am.
It is a work truck and always pretty loaded anyway and even towing it only drops a few usually.

I also do events where I load the crap out of it and like I keep saying power and mileage stay about the same.

You seem determined to know what you know even in the face of actual experience suggesting that you might not really know what you think so have fun with that.

·
Registered
382 Posts
AsI thought I said clearly it does not matter how loaded I am.
It is a work truck and always pretty loaded anyway and even towing it only drops a few usually.

I also do events where I load the crap out of it and like I keep saying power and mileage stay about the same.

You seem determined to know what you know even in the face of actual experience suggesting that you might not really know what you think so have fun with that.

Well it’s basic physics

1 - 20 of 38 Posts