Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks! I have a 2021 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD off road double cab. The only suspension mod I have is 5,000 lb AirLift airbags for the Northstar TC650 slide in camper that I carry relatively frequently. I found that the ride quality was somewhat harsh when I first bought the truck. When I had my bike rack in the hitch and some weight over the tail it rode quite a bit better. However, once I installed the airbags and do not have the camper in the truck rides abysmally bad. When the camper is not in I have the airbag set to 8 PSI, as they need to have some kind of air in them, and I was told that was the minimum amount. I assume the airbags even when not inflated are increasing the spring rate on the rear suspension by a decent amount, and I likely need more rebound dampening in the rear. When the camper is not in I run 38 PSI on all four tires, and with the camper I run 45 PSI on all four tires and 50 psi in their bags. I've read that the TRD off-road bilstein's are really stiff, and that switching to a non-trd off-road spec shock could help, maybe even a Bilstein 5100 or rancho rear shock as well. When the camper is on the truck it rides much better, but is still a little bit bouncy over big bumps on the interstate. Anybody else have any input on this? I would really rather not spend a bunch of money to remedy the issue, as if that was the only option, I might just get a different truck. Thanks in advance! View attachment 888089 View attachment 888090
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Automotive exhaust

·
Registered
712 Posts
Welcome.

When traveling unladen my air bags have about 10 psi, and my 18" tires have about 30 psi. The ride is pretty good, even for a short wheelbase and a lowered rear. I use Bilstein 4600 shocks... they are the smoothest riding shocks Bilstein makes for these trucks.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The TRD versions add a extra leaf that the non-TRD trucks do not have. I also have the Air Lift 5000 with remote. 5 psi is the low end recommendation. The air bags have a bump stop built inside of them as you remove the factory one with the install of the Air Lift 5000. My truck is not a TRD and it weights 7000 lbs with me in the cab. I keep my air bags at 15 psi. When I had less weight on board I kept them at 5 psi. A leaf spring suspension will not be near as nice to drive as a new 22 coil spring set up.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Those single convoluted airbags don't have much give, hence they ride harsh unloaded or with light weights. I have the Firestone Ride Rites. Those are double convoluted bags. More flexibility and give. Even with no pressure inside the bags, once these bags compress the air inside it will increase in pressure. That's why on big bumps where the suspension dips, the bags compress more creating a higher air pressure inside the bags and then releases it alongside with the leaf springs and that's what you feel. I used Rancho adjustable shocks in the rear to control some of the rebound "kick-up." You can remove the valve core in the valves to let the air freely move in and out of the bags, or load the truck heavy. I did both on my 2007 Tundra back in the day. I put a small piece of cloth on the opening of the valve to prevent dust and dirt from getting in. But I settled down on putting 400-500 lbs on the bed close to the tailgate.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Official welcome for your first post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my truck has sone sort of suspension upgrade that has a little box for the driver to need with it. there's an up arrow, down arrow, then on the other side there are two more byttons and in the center a small display that I've never seen on.
does this sound familiar to anyone? is like to find a manual for it.

edit: sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. hrmm

·
Registered
287 Posts
I can't comment on the air bags as I have never used them. I am sure they are not helping it ride better because of the increased effective spring rate.

But I know the yellow Bilstein 4600 shocks you have on there are kind of stiff (more stiff than I like). If you go to the Bilstein 5100's (red) they are even more stiff. I recently changed my Yellow Bilsteins to KYB Gas A Just shocks and the ride improved dramatically. I am not sure how the KYB would work when you have the camper installed, but mine seem to work great when I am towing my 20 ft TT. I installed the rear KYB shocks at first and was amazed at the better ride quality. I later changed the fronts also, but the rear shocks made about 80% of the difference in the better ride. I would not hesitate to just change the rear shocks out and keep running the Bilsteins in the front.

You don't need 38 psi in the tires. The truck is rated for the full maximum load at the tire pressure listed on the door jam which I believe is 31 psi front and 33 psi rear. I only up the pressure in my tires if I get any feathering on the out side edges of the front tires (some is normal, but if it is more than normal, I up the pressure 1-2 psi). Reducing your tire pressure to about 31-33 psi will improve the ride a lot.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had Firestone Air Bags, Old Man Emu rear spring packs and TRD shocks. It rode great on and off road with and without the TC 650 Camper. I would suggest Day Star Cradles too. The TC 650 was way over the Tundra payload weight rating.

I think your air bags are hitting the internal bumpstops.
If you lift the truck you would also need spacers for your airbags

1 - 8 of 8 Posts