Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021 SR5 Double Cab 2WD Regular Bed
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed there is a 2" band of rough textured paint, front to back, both sides, at the level of the bottom of the door.

Is this something normal and done for a reason or was there a paint problem at the factory?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Official welcome... Shhhh, you might wake up the baby.. Lol

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome!! I had a dent in my door that I repaired myself. The paint shop told me that this wrinkled finish is in the primer base and the paint over the top is the same paint as the rest of the truck. The primer is softer and allows for some movement of the paint so it is more difficult to chip. At 140K, mine still looks perfect so it is doing its job. BTW, I did not buy the primer and just sanded that part of the door smooth and painted over it so the back half of my front door does not have the wrinkled finish any more. It is down low so unless you would know to look there, you cannot easily tell the difference. I just sanded it smooth in the area of the dent, primed and painted over with the best Duplicolor has to offer, then clear coated it with some high quality clear you can only buy at an auto paint store, buffed it out, and it all looks fantastic. Perfect color match.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts