Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back In Time
Registered

Joined 5 h ago
1 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 4 h ago
Im curious of other opinions on this truck. I owned a 2018 Silverado that was totaled by a texting driver. I loved that truck.
Here is what I dont like on my new Tundra CREW CAB. Vin # 5TFDY5F15LX889557
Seeing past the outside mirrors is very dangerous. They re too high and when making left turns you have a huge blind spot because the mirrors are too BIG and mounted way to High for me to see past.( My Chevy was much better. Never had a problem with visibility.) There should be a recall and a smaller replacement for sideview mirrors made available. This will KILL people who own this truck if it hasn't already.
Who makes a 50,000.00 dollar truck that doesnt have one-touch UP windows.??? One touch down is ok, but I have to hold the button until the window closes. Thats a very BAD cheap feature that is missing.
Mine has Auto temperature Air-condition and its extremely UNSAFE to have to look at the controls while driving to find the fan speed functions. The manual model Tundra has 3 knobs that you can reach for without taking your eyes off the road. This "auto feature" is worse than texting.. Im constantly looking to see what vent selection is when I need to change it - and even worse to find the fan speed to change it. Also, I dont like how LONG it takes for the fan speed to change. (My Chevy had great controls and I could use all of them just by reaching for them without taking my eyes off the road at all.
The radio controls for stations are backwards as well. In the real world, if you want to skip thru channels that you programed, you go up to every number you programed. On th Tundra, I have to press down to go up and up to go down.? What the hell is that? Who approved a backward control?
In addition to radio functions. The Silverado had them on the back of the steering wheel and you NEVER had to look at the wheel to see what you were doing. Volume on the left side of the wheel and stations on the right side. Always easy and SAFE.
On the Tundra its impossible to change volume and change channels without fumbling with the "left and right" for volume and wrong way up and down for channels.? Who approved this terrible design?
When cold starting, the engine rev's excessively FAR to long and is annoying as hell. Also, because I have the "sport package, its way to loud on the exhaust with a constant annoying drone sound all the time. Even when crusing at highway speeds the drone sound is ugly and kills the comfort of crusing.
Another major short fall is NO rear bumper step to get in or out of the back bed of the truck with the gate down? Who designed that poor bumper?
The Silverado was way quieter on the highway and it was far more stable in windy conditions. Lastly this truck has wide mileage swings when driving on highways. I take a 12 mile highway trip every day and go the same way every time. Sometimes while go to my destination I get 13 miles per gallon. When returning I get 18 miles per galloon. Some time it the same both ways. Most of the time its not. I also smell that rotten eggs smell as well. at times. I took in in to service and they say there is noting they could find wrong? Obviously something is wrong but no one seems to find any bulletins or has any knowledge how to fix it. "Computer testing showed nothing? My suggestion would be to use a better rea axle ratio to improve the poor mileage rating this truck has. The 391 rear axle ratio is stupid and is wasting gas for no reason. The truch has 381 horsepower and doesnt have ANY PROBLEM GETTING GOING.
Just looking for help or opinions..

·
Registered
9 Posts
My opinion is it sounds like you bought the wrong truck for you and should go back to a Chevy, lol. To each their own I guess. In your defense though, my dad has said the same thing about my tow mirrors on mine. As far as mileage, that varies greatly with traffic and speed from what I've observed with mine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My opinion is it sounds like you bought the wrong truck for you and should go back to a Chevy, lol. To each their own I guess. In your defense though, my dad has said the same thing about my tow mirrors on mine. As far as mileage, that varies greatly with traffic and speed from what I've observed with mine.
Traffic isnt the problem with the mileage. Same trip with the Silverado was consistent. Make it twice per day and traffic is light at both times. The controls are in need of huge improvement.
I couldn't get the same deal I had on the totaled truck and the guys insurance wouldn't pay me what it took to get it. Toyota has a ridiculous 81% residual so I gave it a shot. Its a nice truck, but if you owned a Silverado like mine, you would know what Im saying.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s all you don’t like about it? Why did you buy it? How did that many problems sneak past you during the test drive? Sounds to me like you just came on here to bitch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I leased it. 50k Truck with zero down and 265 per month. Thats why I got it. Im not bitching. Just pointing out things that need improvement. Got any answers for the erratic mileage swings?
I drove a new Ram and the Ford 150, Toyota was a bargain, thats all. All the trucks are good trucks - just not in all areas of features.
Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
434 Posts
Put your Royal Cheby up to a Tundra and in 8 plus years which will run the same as the day you bought in and have a awesome resale in the end? Not the Cheby!

No one I mean NO ONE buys a Tundra for the Gas mileage, NO ONE!

The features in the Tundra, work as they are supposed to!

I've owned my share of new Chevy's and not one of them would stand the long term test as my Tundra, PERIOD!

Trade it in and don't look back!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I came from an $80k 2019 Ram 2500 Limited CTD Crew cab with 10k miles on it. It had a lot of bells and whistles that I liked when they worked which wasn’t very often. So I now have a limited Tundra but it’s tight, drives easily and everything works.
‘I lemon lawed the Ram and considered GM because my brother retired from GM so I could get GMS pricing but he said the Denalis were junk, they still hadn’t fixed the front end wobble and Ford is just as bad.

Sounds like you want champagne on a beer budget and are bitching because you don’t like the taste of beer.

Moral of the story “ Drink More Beer daily and you will learn to like beer and your truck”

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome to and congrats on the truck, give it a chance and drive it more. You always have a choice. Return it when you can’t take it anymore.

PS, i love mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Back In Time
Registered

Joined 5 h ago
1 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 4 h ago
Im curious of other opinions on this truck. I owned a 2018 Silverado that was totaled by a texting driver. I loved that truck.
Here is what I dont like on my new Tundra CREW CAB. Vin # 5TFDY5F15LX889557
Seeing past the outside mirrors is very dangerous. They re too high and when making left turns you have a huge blind spot because the mirrors are too BIG and mounted way to High for me to see past.( My Chevy was much better. Never had a problem with visibility.) There should be a recall and a smaller replacement for sideview mirrors made available. This will KILL people who own this truck if it hasn't already.
Who makes a 50,000.00 dollar truck that doesnt have one-touch UP windows.??? One touch down is ok, but I have to hold the button until the window closes. Thats a very BAD cheap feature that is missing.
Mine has Auto temperature Air-condition and its extremely UNSAFE to have to look at the controls while driving to find the fan speed functions. The manual model Tundra has 3 knobs that you can reach for without taking your eyes off the road. This "auto feature" is worse than texting.. Im constantly looking to see what vent selection is when I need to change it - and even worse to find the fan speed to change it. Also, I dont like how LONG it takes for the fan speed to change. (My Chevy had great controls and I could use all of them just by reaching for them without taking my eyes off the road at all.
The radio controls for stations are backwards as well. In the real world, if you want to skip thru channels that you programed, you go up to every number you programed. On th Tundra, I have to press down to go up and up to go down.? What the hell is that? Who approved a backward control?
In addition to radio functions. The Silverado had them on the back of the steering wheel and you NEVER had to look at the wheel to see what you were doing. Volume on the left side of the wheel and stations on the right side. Always easy and SAFE.
On the Tundra its impossible to change volume and change channels without fumbling with the "left and right" for volume and wrong way up and down for channels.? Who approved this terrible design?
When cold starting, the engine rev's excessively FAR to long and is annoying as hell. Also, because I have the "sport package, its way to loud on the exhaust with a constant annoying drone sound all the time. Even when crusing at highway speeds the drone sound is ugly and kills the comfort of crusing.
Another major short fall is NO rear bumper step to get in or out of the back bed of the truck with the gate down? Who designed that poor bumper?
The Silverado was way quieter on the highway and it was far more stable in windy conditions. Lastly this truck has wide mileage swings when driving on highways. I take a 12 mile highway trip every day and go the same way every time. Sometimes while go to my destination I get 13 miles per gallon. When returning I get 18 miles per galloon. Some time it the same both ways. Most of the time its not. I also smell that rotten eggs smell as well. at times. I took in in to service and they say there is noting they could find wrong? Obviously something is wrong but no one seems to find any bulletins or has any knowledge how to fix it. "Computer testing showed nothing? My suggestion would be to use a better rea axle ratio to improve the poor mileage rating this truck has. The 391 rear axle ratio is stupid and is wasting gas for no reason. The truch has 381 horsepower and doesnt have ANY PROBLEM GETTING GOING.
Just looking for help or opinions..
I bought a 2018 crew cab 4x4 limited and was not a fan. Worst brakes I have ever driven, cruise control hidden under steering wheel and not lighted, drivers seat would not go low enough, gas mileage-ugh

·
Registered
88 Posts
I can understand your dislike of some of the designs in the Tundra. It was state of the art in 2007, but not much has been changed since then. I think they come out with a new Tundra in 2021 and that will be a state of the art truck. But that is how Toyota builds such high quality vehicles. They put a lot of work into it to make it right, them keep making them that way with little or no updates until they are forced to upgrade. When they do upgrade, they bring it up to state of art, get the quality right, and then ride that design for a long time.

If you watch the big three, they upgrade and redesign constantly which kills their quality and long term performance for the short term emotional sale.

I have loved my Tundras but more because they never break down and less for all the technical widgets they do or do not have. The truth is, your Tundra is going to look and drive like it does now when you have a couple hundred thousand miles on it, and you probably will not have had much, if any, breakdowns, and your resale value will be amazing. If you drive one of the big three that same distance, you will see and feel the wear and tear, will have had lots of repairs, and your resale value will be nothing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Put your Royal Cheby up to a Tundra and in 8 plus years which will run the same as the day you bought in and have a awesome resale in the end? Not the Cheby!

No one I mean NO ONE buys a Tundra for the Gas mileage, NO ONE!

The features in the Tundra, work as they are supposed to!

I've owned my share of new Chevy's and not one of them would stand the long term test as my Tundra, PERIOD!

Trade it in and don't look back!
If Toyota was REALLY in the truck business, they wouldn't be last in sales. No one buy a Tundra for gas mileage you say??? How about just getting close to the window estimates mpg? I didnt buy it for mileage, but when its far worse than rated, it gets old fast. As far as lasting??? Chevys last longer than any other truck on the road.... Besides why would you want to keep a truck more than several years. Everything they build has improved very well over decades. Resale you say? Nothing with 250K miles on it isn't worth much, no matter what brand it is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome to and congrats on the truck, give it a chance and drive it more. You always have a choice. Return it when you can’t take it anymore.

PS, i love mine.
I like it. But its not a Silverado. Just pointing out some of the things that are easily updated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I came from an $80k 2019 Ram 2500 Limited CTD Crew cab with 10k miles on it. It had a lot of bells and whistles that I liked when they worked which wasn’t very often. So I now have a limited Tundra but it’s tight, drives easily and everything works.
‘I lemon lawed the Ram and considered GM because my brother retired from GM so I could get GMS pricing but he said the Denalis were junk, they still hadn’t fixed the front end wobble and Ford is just as bad.

Sounds like you want champagne on a beer budget and are bitching because you don’t like the taste of beer.

Moral of the story “ Drink More Beer daily and you will learn to like beer and your truck”
LOL!. Denali and Silverado are the same truck! Just the aesthetics are different. I know at least 8 people who have GM trucks and none of them have "wobble" in the front end...LOL! Front end wobble is caused by loose front end parts that are worn out or unbalances tires. Maybe you've had too many beers and you wobble when you walk. LOL. Enjoy your Toyota. Its a nice truck.

Drink more beer and you will learn to like it, you say? LOL> Thats what men do at bars with ugly women. LOL..

·
Registered
4 Posts
@Back In Time
Like I mentioned does my Tundra have the Limo blue l.e.d. Lighting inside , the electronic pedals that adjust, the 12” touchscreen...... I could go on and on but I don’t . I even bought my Tundra with only a 5 min test drive. It sucks you don’t like your truck but if your budget is $265 month I think you got a whole lot for your money.

If I went back on the Cummins forum and my 1st post was what a crappy truck Ram 2500s are it wouldn’t have been pretty.

Bottom line did you join the forum just to troll it or were you venting with buyers remorse???

If you would have put the same post in the other Tundra forum they would have blistered you much worse.

Done with this thread!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@Back In Time
Like I mentioned does my Tundra have the Limo blue l.e.d. Lighting inside , the electronic pedals that adjust, the 12” touchscreen...... I could go on and on but I don’t . I even bought my Tundra with only a 5 min test drive. It sucks you don’t like your truck but if your budget is $265 month I think you got a whole lot for your money.

If I went back on the Cummins forum and my 1st post was what a crappy truck Ram 2500s are it wouldn’t have been pretty.

Bottom line did you join the forum just to troll it or were you venting with buyers remorse???

If you would have put the same post in the other Tundra forum they would have blistered you much worse.

Done with this thread!
Appreciate the feedback. Youre right. I did get a lot for my money. The deal I got on the Silverado was no longer available without incentives. MY Chevy payment was 250/mo. New Chevy was now at 365/mo. Tundra was a far better deal. I dont need a truck to use for making a living. I only need it to drive my grandkids to schools every day. At my age you like things right as much as possible. its just that Toyota could have improved all these shortcomings a long time ago. They didnt. Even the fact that they didnt have a leather-wrapped steering wheel on a 50K truck is so lame. Buyers remorse only from the standpoint of shortages on the truck. The truck is a nice truck, otherwise.
Not trolling just explaining. Maybe Toy will fix all these weak features..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts