Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery of 2020 Crew Max with the JBL 'premium' sound system, and it is absolutely anemic. Can hardly hear the subwoofer even when set to max bass, and if I set the fade to full rear, the four rear door and behind the seat subwoofer can hardly be heard. Turning volume to very high setting yields very weak volume from the rear. What is the problem? My 2010 Tundra with standard system sounded light years ahead in bass response!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2018 limited was the same absolutely terrible. I put in all new system with 2 10’s, components, amp, and a digital signal processor from the factory head unit. Using a ton of dynamat on the doors made it sound killer. Phoenix Gold makes great high end speakers

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are quite a few posts on other Tundra forums about updating the JBL system with aftermarket amp/speakers while keeping it all plug-in-play and being able to return to stock if you sell/trade later.

Speaker replacement is easy and you'll find people who have all the speaker harnesses you need to plug into the factory harnesses. You'll need a Rockford Fosgate DSR1 (or something equivalent) to replace the factory amp and convert headunit signals into something the aftermarket amp can use, and an aftermarket amp. The most difficult thing will be running the power cable from the battery to the new amp and that's not too hard.

·
Registered
2020 Platinum Tundra in Barcelona Red Metallic
4 Posts
I also have a 2020 and I am greatly disappointed with the system. It is on my list of replacements, just not very high on the list at the moment. ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just took delivery of 2020 Crew Max with the JBL 'premium' sound system, and it is absolutely anemic. Can hardly hear the subwoofer even when set to max bass, and if I set the fade to full rear, the four rear door and behind the seat subwoofer can hardly be heard. Turning volume to very high setting yields very weak volume from the rear. What is the problem? My 2010 Tundra with standard system sounded light years ahead in bass response!
I just got my 2020 Tundra Crew Cab Limited with the upgraded JBL and it is horrible. It had a blown speaker in the front passenger door but that was not the problem. They fixed the speaker but claim they do not have a fix for the horrible sound. I am experiencing the same problem as you. I just filed an official complaint and I will be taking this issue to the news if they don't find a fix quick.
I traded my 2015 Tundra Crew Cab Limited that had the standard system, the standard system was wonderful.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Tech12volt.com James is a great guy quality products and great service. I had his equipment in my 2016 (traded for a 2019) Everything came out and went in the 2019 I did upgrade the head unit to an Alpine 309 the DSR never was installed so sitting new in the box waiting for a new home :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the JBL also. Its very bad on over base? Too much base> I did adjustments to setting and did the automatic control setting. It helped a little. But I had a 2018 Silverado that was totaled (or I wouldn't be driving this) and that radio system was fantastic. I wanted the navigation and thats how I ended up with the JBL. Go figure? Toyota has a ton of shortcomings when it comes to trucks. Surprisingly it always sounds like the engine has loose pulleys and bad belts with only 5700 miles in 5 months. It is a nice truck, but its no Silverado. Sorry Totota, but thats been my experience so far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the JBL also. Its very bad on over base? Too much base> I did adjustments to setting and did the automatic control setting. It helped a little. But I had a 2018 Silverado that was totaled (or I wouldn't be driving this) and that radio system was fantastic. I wanted the navigation and thats how I ended up with the JBL. Go figure? Toyota has a ton of shortcomings when it comes to trucks. Surprisingly it always sounds like the engine has loose pulleys and bad belts with only 5700 miles in 5 months. It is a nice truck, but its no Silverado. Sorry Totota, but thats been my experience so far.
Bud you need to go back to chevy so you can be happy again..Ill stick with my Tundras

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still under warranty, I'd have them look at it.
Did just that. They pulled a truck out of dealer stock, measured the system output levels against mine, and they're virtually identical. So basically, they measured crap against crap, but since both mirror, no problem from their end! They claim the sound systems are performing as designed, so no warranty claim.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here 2020 limited Tundra, my front speakers written JBL but back speakers and subwoofer no sign of JBL. Over all they sound horrible. I guess we need to update all.

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Tundra Platinum CrewMax Barcelona Red Tunes By: Taylor's Audio of Alma GA
2 Posts

I just posted this the other day and pasted it here for all the JBL Premium disappointed listeners.
If your not capable of installing this yourself pay someone to install it for you.
Hand's down its incredible and very clean with the factory head unit and features operating perfectly.

RdKing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts