Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

2020 4x4 5.7 oil changes

9K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Z15 
#1 ·
I was beyond pissed off yesterday at my dealership. My previous Tundra was a 2018 5.7 with 4x4, the manual said it should be changed every 5,000 miles and the last dealership did just that for the first 24,000 miles. New dealership, new truck, I take it in for the first so I thought oil change. After a huge debacle that I won’t get into. I’m finally getting my truck at about 30 minutes after they were supposed to close only to find out all they did was rotate the tires??? That was my first 5,000 service??? My mind was blown. I was ready to leave and really wanted to drive my Tundra through the showroom and smash everything but, I refrained... I get home and in the 2020 manual, it does say first oil change at 10,000 miles. Unless you drive in dusty conditions and/or idle a lot, I do both. I have yet to dig out my agreement from when I bought the truck but.....I imagine it has fine print that specifies only normal driving oil changes...
My so called service advisor said “it could be a year before the 1st oil change is needed” I don’t care how phenomenal the oil is, who is going to wait a year to change their oil on a brand new truck??? I wanted to change it at 2,500 miles, you know after I felt it was a little broken in and give it some fresh oil.
Anybody else have similar concerns and experiences?

#2 ·
I avoid such dramma , and do them myself . And i passed on their first two free oil changes. First oil n filter change at 5k , 7500k thereafter for the life of the truck.

PS. You get 2 free oil changes , so i agree that its up to you to use them as you please.

#4 ·
I avoid such dramma , and do them myself . And i passed on their first two free oil changes. First oil n filter change at 5k , 7500k thereafter for the life of the truck.

PS. You get 2 free oil changes , so i agree that its up to you to use them as you please.
[emoji115]Yep this [emoji115]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Basically that’s what I would be getting, one at 10,000 and another at 20,000.
I was foolishly thinking, 5,10,15, 20 and sneak in one at 24,000. Then I would start doing my own. Well, I guess I will ordering the skid plate with the oil filter access sooner than I thought. Dealerships really have turned into stealerships.
Toyota used to be proud of their long term reliability and durability. I’m guessing that’s getting thrown out and the almighty dollar taking over.

#8 ·
Basically that’s what I would be getting, one at 10,000 and another at 20,000.
I was foolishly thinking, 5,10,15, 20 and sneak in one at 24,000. Then I would start doing my own. Well, I guess I will ordering the skid plate with the oil filter access sooner than I thought. Dealerships really have turned into stealerships.
Toyota used to be proud of their long term reliability and durability. I’m guessing that’s getting thrown out and the almighty dollar taking over.
I took the 2018 TRD OEM skid plate off ,, Cut a nice neat 7" round hole underneath the oil filter with a jig saw , 2 coats of rubberized under coating over the whole thing both sides , and heavily greased the skid plate mounting bolts since they will not be removed again for some time . Been that way for 2 years no issues , oil changes pretty easy.
good luck

#9 ·
Good idea, thanks. I just have the plastic skid plate. So I have been wanting to upgrade to a real skid plate. Maybe I shouldn’t say “stealerships”, it’s just ...cut the bull and say, we will do this and that. That’s it’s. The world has gotten to the point where you have to question everything to find out what you really are getting.

#10 ·
The same dealership told my father in law free oil changes for life. But the fine print is that you have to pay the dealership to do ALL preventative maintenance items. For example you have to pay the $150 to change the air filter, you can’t change it yourself.

#12 ·
You really don't have to change your any more than every 10,000 miles. These new engines run super clean and the full synthetic really are a far superior oil to stuff we used to use.

I have a 2015 CM 5.7L. I change the oil every 10,000 miles using Mobil 1 advanced fuel economy oil. I am at 130K now. I did this with my 2012 4.6L, and my 2011 4.6L as well. None of these engines every used a drop of oil and the oil was in good condition when i changed it. And the Mobil 1 gives you about 1-2 mpg better mileage. My MPG average is 17.1 mpg for the last 10,000 miles.

#19 ·
You really don't have to change your any more than every 10,000 miles. These new engines run super clean and the full synthetic really are a far superior oil to stuff we used to use.

I have a 2015 CM 5.7L. I change the oil every 10,000 miles using Mobil 1 advanced fuel economy oil. I am at 130K now. I did this with my 2012 4.6L, and my 2011 4.6L as well. None of these engines every used a drop of oil and the oil was in good condition when i changed it. And the Mobil 1 gives you about 1-2 mpg better mileage. My MPG average is 17.1 mpg for the last 10,000 miles.
Ditto. I do the same in my '16 CM, even the same oil. At 10,000 miles the oil comes out with its original viscosity and nearly clean. It's pretty amazing really.

The service light does come on every 5K. I rotate tires every time, oil every other time.

I have had similarly bad experiences with the two local dealerships. I buy parts from them if needed and do the work myself.

#15 ·
I was beyond pissed off yesterday at my dealership. My previous Tundra was a 2018 5.7 with 4x4, the manual said it should be changed every 5,000 miles and the last dealership did just that for the first 24,000 miles. New dealership, new truck, I take it in for the first so I thought oil change. After a huge debacle that I won’t get into. I’m finally getting my truck at about 30 minutes after they were supposed to close only to find out all they did was rotate the tires??? That was my first 5,000 service??? My mind was blown. I was ready to leave and really wanted to drive my Tundra through the showroom and smash everything but, I refrained... I get home and in the 2020 manual, it does say first oil change at 10,000 miles. Unless you drive in dusty conditions and/or idle a lot, I do both. I have yet to dig out my agreement from when I bought the truck but.....I imagine it has fine print that specifies only normal driving oil changes...
My so called service advisor said “it could be a year before the 1st oil change is needed” I don’t care how phenomenal the oil is, who is going to wait a year to change their oil on a brand new truck??? I wanted to change it at 2,500 miles, you know after I felt it was a little broken in and give it some fresh oil.
I ran into the same thing on my 2020 Tundra. I just paid to have them change the oil and filter. Peace of mind for me. I pull a 31ft travel trailer so again peace of mind. They said at dealership that the 10,000 mile is paid for per my agreement.

#17 ·
Wow, just curious why you guys only get 2 oil changes? When I bought my 2020 Tundra I'm pretty sure I get 24 months of services which include oil changes as they come. Before the Tundra I owned a 2016 4Runner and when I bought that I got the same deal, and I think I got 5 or 6 oil changes before I just started doing them myself so I wouldn't have to wait. BUT besides that, it sounds like your dealer sucks. Since I bought the truck in December and my first oil change light came on around April, I just bought the stuff and did it myself. I even bought the Toyota Oil Filter....

#18 ·
I was told that I get 2 years of maintenance free when I bought my '20 Pro. I made an appointment after 1K and brought it to the dealership only to be told that I had to pay for the first oil change because they said it wasn't necessary. I plan on having the truck for a while so I ended up paying them to do it. I didn't care about the $$. I cared about it being changed and would never let it run for 10K without a change. Just my 2 cents...

#20 ·
Yep, that's crappy service by the dealer. I change all the oil in my cars at 5,000 or once a year, at minimum, except for my wife's Prius. I had, originally, planned on keeping it the same but when it was at 4,900 the oil wasn't even dirty....not even a little. So I kept and eye on it and it didn't start looking darker until around 8,000 and by the time 10,000 came it was ready for a change. OH, and the new Prius' oil filter housing is actually smaller than the oil filter housing for the Tundra or my tiny Scion iQ so I had to buy another wretch to get that off....ridiculous.

Don't complain too much about your 2020, some of us have the older Tundras with the tiny (26 gallon) gas tanks and we don't have the upgraded headlights, either! ;-)

#21 ·

#23 ·
In 30 yrs I have NEVER Change my oil sooner than 1 yr or 15,000 miles and I always used synthetic oil, my choice has always been AMSOIL. Never had a single engine issue with any vehicle ever. I can recall back then if you were to mention synthetic oil, 99 out of 100 people would say you are crazy and its snake oil. Today most all new cars come factory filled with synthetic oil and the shelves of Walmart have most brands, even their house brand is a synthetic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.