Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a 2019 Tundra SR5 long bed, but before I bought it had the dealer do the 36k mile warranty check. Clean bill of health, so bought it. Embarrassing to admit this, but these days had to pay more than it cost new. I’ve owned many Toyota’s so thought hey this will last me forever, so no big deal. As winter started setting in, up here in Alaska, I turned the heater on and discovered that just air was blowing out and not warm. Switched to AC and discovered that while air would blow out, it was not cold. Set up an appointment at the dealer in town and waited 2 months for that. Dealer analyzed it and told me the HVAC unit is bad. Estimated 14 hrs of work tearing the whole dash apart to replace it and gave me an estimate of $4,000. Vehicle is at 38,000 miles and just over the 3 yrs of warranty. I have to say, I’m a bit shocked. Shouldn’t an HVAC unit last for the life of the vehicle? Have I just bought a lemon? Anybody else have an HVAC problem with a relatively new Tundra HVAC unit?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
NOT buying that diagnosis .
At those miles the heater core and ac evap coil will be pristine . Besides that there are only lil doors and damper with actuators .

Although it shouldn't happen , most likely a bad damper door / motor or the like

·
Registered
370 Posts
I agree with 24hrsparky. It sounds like a door is not opening or closing when it should. I don't know if these doors are operated on vacuum or electrical, I think it's vacuum, but not sure. I would guess that it is more likely that a mouse got in there and chewed a wire or a vacuum hose, or a vacuum hose came loose, or one of the little actuators is stuck. Could even be something stuck in the door from a mouse or debris that got down in there.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Apparently , the AC Evap and one of the dampers / flaps ( not sure which one or function ) is in a large plastic sealed UNIT , To be repaired as a unit requiring a lot of disassembly = $,$$$ . BUT the lil motor that operates it is still on the outside , so i suppose it replaceable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts