Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a lift in their 2019 yet? I’m not sure what options there are, I know I want to leave the Fox suspension under it so I was hoping for something that lets me do that

·
Registered
137 Posts
Your TRD Pro comes factory equipped with a great suspension. What kind of off roading are you planning to do and how much cash do you want to spend on any upgrades?

·
He Has Risen!
6,318 Posts
Your TRD Pro comes factory equipped with a great suspension
I agree, considering most truck owners rarely go off road and when they do, it's hardly anything that requires anything more than a bone stock 4x4. So, the mild off road suspension improvements of the PRO over a standard suspension is way more than adequate for any "off" roading the average truck owner will do.
I think it's safe to assume that anyone asking about a "lift kit", is looking for a means to make room for larger, more "off-roady" looking tires because they think their truck will look cooler. Not because they think it will offer any mechanical advantage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've call around and no one makes anything for the Pro yet. I just want to fit 35s. Yep I want a little cool factor. I mean I do have a Pro

·
Registered
177 Posts
Isn't the suspension the primary reason you would buy a Pro? Other than a few upgrades it seems like the main selling point to that model. I understand wanting to customize it as I would definitely want to do the same but that may be the exact reason I might steer away from that model. Just my .02, I've had this discussion to myself in my head recently.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Isn't the suspension the primary reason you would buy a Pro? Other than a few upgrades it seems like the main selling point to that model. I understand wanting to customize it as I would definitely want to do the same but that may be the exact reason I might steer away from that model. Just my .02, I've had this discussion to myself in my head recently.
So I went from a 2016 1794 to my 19 Pro. I was spoiled with all the creature comforts of the 1794. And I was sold on the Pro because of the suspension and overall look. Dont get me wrong this new Pro suspension rides really nice. Did alot better off road(nothing crazy just driving up the mountain) then the 1794. But I do miss alot of the luxury features. And it hard finding any upgrades for the Pro right now. Like I said I just want to fit 35s on my 20s". But I am happy with the performance of the Pro and it looks badass. But I do miss the luxury options.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree, considering most truck owners rarely go off road and when they do, it's hardly anything that requires anything more than a bone stock 4x4. So, the mild off road suspension improvements of the PRO over a standard suspension is way more than adequate for any "off" roading the average truck owner will do.
I think it's safe to assume that anyone asking about a "lift kit", is looking for a means to make room for larger, more "off-roady" looking tires because they think their truck will look cooler. Not because they think it will offer any mechanical advantage.
Then I guess I don’t fall into the majority.... I’m looking to put some 35’s or potentially 37’s. I spend quite a bit of time at camp in the summer and during hunting season. I need the clearance and tire unless I want to unload everything and take my four wheeler in 5 miles. I’m not leaving my truck sitting on the side of the road for a weekend

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I went from a 2016 1794 to my 19 Pro. I was spoiled with all the creature comforts of the 1794. And I was sold on the Pro because of the suspension and overall look. Dont get me wrong this new Pro suspension rides really nice. Did alot better off road(nothing crazy just driving up the mountain) then the 1794. But I do miss alot of the luxury features. And it hard finding any upgrades for the Pro right now. Like I said I just want to fit 35s on my 20s". But I am happy with the performance of the Pro and it looks badass. But I do miss the luxury options.
I totally agree, suspension is really nice and it looks bad ass. I’m coming from a 2012 rock warrior so I got some upgraded creature comforts and I had them add heated seats.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your TRD Pro comes factory equipped with a great suspension. What kind of off roading are you planning to do and how much cash do you want to spend on any upgrades?
Just realized you’re like 5 miles from me, you don’t see too many 802 folks on here! I’ll spend a few grand. I can do most of the work myself, I’m an ASE certified mechanic in a previous life. Just need the alignment afterwards. I already have rims and 35’s from my last truck so it’s really about the lift. And I want to run my stock rims for the winter... I think pro comp has a 4” lift that uses factory suspension but you need 20” rims minimum

·
He Has Risen!
6,318 Posts
Then I guess I don’t fall into the majority.... I’m looking to put some 35’s or potentially 37’s. I spend quite a bit of time at camp in the summer and during hunting season. I need the clearance and tire unless I want to unload everything and take my four wheeler in 5 miles. I’m not leaving my truck sitting on the side of the road for a weekend
Just a thought,....since it's the diameter of the tire that determines height of ground clearance and let's say a stock tire is 32", a 35" tire would be an increase of 3". Which would raise lowest point (bottom of the rear diff) by 1.5".
Seeing how larger tires are a big expense, I always thought the added expense and labor of raising the entire vehicle, to fit slightly larger tires, for a negligible increase in ground clearance just wasn't practical.
Does anyone ever consider simply opening up the wheel wells a little bit to fit slightly larger tires and not messing with all that lift crap?
I think Procomp makes a fender flare just for that purpose.
I'm sure some folks don't like the look, but for practical purposes, it makes way more sense than all the handicaps that come with a lift.
Plus, like mentioned, the PRO suspension upgrades are pretty good already. Seems silly to compromise that, raise the center of gravity of the entire vehicle, spend the extra money and labor, deal with alignment headaches and all for another 1.5" of clearance.

·
He Has Risen!
6,318 Posts
I think blocks and spacers are asinine because it's $2000 to handicap your truck.
But if a lift is the way you wanna go, seems like readylift makes a 4" kit for the 2019. ANd 2,4 and 6" kits for the 2015-18.

https://www.readylift.com/4-lift-kit-toyota-tundra-trd-pro-2015-2018.html

And if you want to swap out entire suspension components like control arms, struts, leaf springs, etc, instead of spacers and blocks, I'm sure any components for any Tundra will work.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just realized you’re like 5 miles from me, you don’t see too many 802 folks on here! I’ll spend a few grand. I can do most of the work myself, I’m an ASE certified mechanic in a previous life. Just need the alignment afterwards. I already have rims and 35’s from my last truck so it’s really about the lift. And I want to run my stock rims for the winter... I think pro comp has a 4” lift that uses factory suspension but you need 20” rims minimum
Hey neighbor. Make sure to come back and post up some pics when it's complete.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, just tried to put my rims and tires I was running on the rock warrior on the pro today, not even close. Little disappointing since the rock warrior only had a leveling kit in (3/2) and the pro is supposed to be raised 2 inches from the factory. Definitely going to be a lift in the near future.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, latest update. I put in a leveling kit made for the TRD pro! Keeps all the stock suspension components and gave me 3” in the front over stock and a 2” block in the back.

So I actually pieced it together from 2 kits, but it rides just like stock. New upper control arms, TRD skid plate drop, front diff and sway bar drop and e brake relocation brackets.

The kit comes with all that stuff, but it came with a spacer that sits between the strut mount and the spring and I really don’t like those because they change the spring rate and ride. So I ordered spacers that go between the strut mount and the frame for any tundra and used those instead. Also meant that I could do all the work (except the alignment) myself in my garage.

https://www.suspensionconnection.com/52080-tundra-trd-pro.html

Supreme Suspensions - Tundra Lift Kit 2.5" Front Suspension Lift (Black) PRO https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HV2KNJ8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_.Ae-CbF1NB1H8

Attachments

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Funny, I’ve not been on this site for months. Just thought I’d check in again.

Sure enough, there is immediately some guy on here who got their Pro and carry some idea that they have to modify the suspension. When that was the very thing they just paid for.

Over on the Lotus site I’m on a lot there are always newbies who believe they know what they are doing enough to start messing with what they just paid for, amazingly well tuned suspension.

Lotus founder Colin Chapman said it best:

“If you make it adjustable, they will do it wrong”

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
����*♂ Same suspension components, just sits 3 inches taller... to each his own. Besides being a mechanical engineer I’m an ase certified mechanic for the last 20 years. I probably wouldn’t classify myself as a “newbie”

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
* Same suspension components, just sits 3 inches taller... to each his own. Besides being a mechanical engineer I’m an ase certified mechanic for the last 20 years. I probably wouldn’t classify myself as a “newbie”

As a mechanical engineer you should Han analyzed all of the factors your lift kit would be changing.

Increased cv angles (roughly 5” lift over a normal tundra with a 1” diff drop = bad angles)

A weak point at your spacer and shock intersection. Which honestly is negligible due to it not having much side loads.

Blocks in the rear will cause more axle wrap and with that comes wheel hop and u joint binding.

A better route would have been some shims for your pro coilovers to gain an inch, diff drop, lift shackles for the rear and a carrier bearing drop to keep your driveshaft at close to stock angles. You would probably have to do a little plastic trimming or even a BMC but you wouldn’t have handicapped your truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
As a mechanical engineer you should Han analyzed all of the factors your lift kit would be changing.

Increased cv angles (roughly 5” lift over a normal tundra with a 1” diff drop = bad angles)

A weak point at your spacer and shock intersection. Which honestly is negligible due to it not having much side loads.

Blocks in the rear will cause more axle wrap and with that comes wheel hop and u joint binding.

A better route would have been some shims for your pro coilovers to gain an inch, diff drop, lift shackles for the rear and a carrier bearing drop to keep your driveshaft at close to stock angles. You would probably have to do a little plastic trimming or even a BMC but you wouldn’t have handicapped your truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I appreciate the feedback, and some of the points are valid. Increased cv angles, yup, but not the 5:1 you’re talking about. Remember the spacer isn’t the 3 inches because the angle of the shock changes and pushes the truck up. So the top sits up higher, but the cv’s don’t see all that increase. With the upper control arm it changes the angle of the top as well. So are the cv angles steeper, a little, but it’s not enough to matter at full extension and full lock. My rock warrior had a similar setup, actually sat higher without the diff drop or the upper control arm and guess what!? 90k miles, didn’t replace a single cv joint....

Axle wrap, not so much with a 2 inch block. I tow a 20 foot car trailer and my boat all the time, no issues with the wrap... I’ve had plenty of older square body Chevy’s with 6 inch blocks, those things had axle wrap, especially in the mud with the pedal down! I don’t drive like that off-road anymore, I’m doing 5-10 mph out to camp and that’s it. Rear shackles would have been better and I may change those out later, for now though I’m good

Really cracks me up that some people on here (not saying you, clearly you have some hands on background) obviously have never done more then an oil change on a vehicle or used their trucks for more then a pavement princess. They spend a lot of time reading forums and think they’re knowledgeable and may understand concepts, not application.

At the end of the day, my truck works for me, I’ve kept the pro suspension components along with the stock ride (stopping may be a different story) and I have the clearance I needed for getting to camp. Is it the same setup that everyone should use? Depends on what you’re using it for, but don’t tell me it’s a bad setup or my truck is going to break something because of it.... not gonna happen. Plus the truck looks pretty sweet, gets compliments everywhere it goes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It appears you have made your decision on strut spacers due to how you use your truck. Drive at reasonable speeds offroad and you should not face any issues.

For other people that come across this thread and may use pro suspension to its full capabilities. By increasing space between top of shock and shock mount you effectively do a few things. Move lower limit of shock travel down and possibility out side of travel limits of suspension resulting in reduction in effective shock travel. Move the bypass shock (I believe the Fox Pro are internal bypass) outside of its ride zone resulting in changed ride characteristics. Most importantly, push the shock down and away from the bump stop, resulting in reaching mechanical limit of shock travel before mechanical limit of suspension travel and risk damage to shock under hard impact.

There is some experience on TRD forum of using thin 1/4" to 1/2" strut spacers netting an increase of 1/2" to 1" lift height and not having issues with change in shock bottoming characteristics. The addition of a 3" spacer is significant and there are many posts on forums discussing bent struts or shocks with spacer lifts. The addition of bump stop spacers or larger bump stops may reduce the risk of bent strut.

As always YMMV

1 - 20 of 21 Posts