Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Tundra SR5 TRD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

so I’m about 5k miles in with my 2019 lifted Tundra. My steering is shaking but I’m able to drive on the street and highway with no issues. I don’t know if it’s tire balance and/or alignment.

I inspected my tires and notice my front right drivers tire is worn about half of what the other three tires are. I didn’t think an alignment could affect only 1 tire but I’m not 100 percent if it was like that when I bought it and never noticed it or if it’s actually being affected.

It’s a 6inch Rough Country loft installed by the dealer, used, I bought it from.

·
Registered
2019 Tundra SR5 TRD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I’m hoping the alignment will fix it. I’m also going to switch to some AT or RT tires since I’m mostly highway/road

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 07 is quite a bit older, and not lifted. That said, I had HORRIBLE 2nd gen teething issues when I bought it new - specifically with steering wheel shake after the first dealer-performed alignment. I had a slight pull, and the dealer offered to correct under warranty. Big mistake. Caster settings were +1.25° nominal, with a tolerance of +/- 0.75°

Mine happened to be near 2.0°, which while still in the acceptable range, seemed high to the dealer tech - so he lowered it down to the 1.25° - and presto, I had intermittent steering wheel shimmy. 10 sets of tires, two sets of rims, and a burned relationship with the service manager at the dealer, we had our answer - which was to return the caster back up to the top end of the range.

Thing is, that dealer didn't know how to increase caster without affecting the camber. Fortunately, back then, a user on another Tundra forum, who was an engineer with Hunter alignment company, did some experimenting with his personal Tundra. In short order, he found the problem was with a stock caster setting that is too low for such a big vehicle. He then provided detailed step-by-step directions (I think including screen shots of the Hunter equipment) on how to increase caster without affecting camber.

I took those directions to another Toyota dealer, and with them, they solved my problem.

TL;DR: Since caster settings deal with how far forward/backward the hub of the wheel is relative to the top of the suspension - with positive caster being a motorcycle front wheel, vs. negative being a front wheel on a shopping cart - it becomes very critical when the geometry of the vehicle (specifically the height) is changed. Have a qualified alignment shop check your caster settings and get them as high as allowable for your model year. If it's not high enough, it'll do what that front wheel of the shopping cart does...

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts