Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did my 30 k oil change and tire rotation .
While doing the work I decided to flashlight my brake pads , especially after all the horror stories and complaints I have read on here .
WELL.
THEY ARE AT LEAST 3/4 BRAND NEW .

I am worried
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG !! After all the posts about less than 30k on pads and rotors , Toyota dropped the ball on brakes , tundra brakes are junk , ect ect .

Please advise .

Granted I only haul dead deer and personal seasonal 4 cords of firewood and really haven't towed anything. We have hills and this truck is my commuter daily .
Despite this clearly I am doing something wrong to have Sooo much brake component life left.

Ps , most of this post is in sarcasm .

·
Registered
13,618 Posts
Just did my 30 k oil change and tire rotation .
While doing the work I decided to flashlight my brake pads , especially after all the horror stories and complaints I have read on here .
WELL.
THEY ARE AT LEAST 3/4 BRAND NEW .

I am worried
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG !! After all the posts about less than 30k on pads and rotors , Toyota dropped the ball on brakes , tundra brakes are junk , ect ect .

Please advise .

Granted I only haul dead deer and personal seasonal 4 cords of firewood and really haven't towed anything. We have hills and this truck is my commuter daily .
Despite this clearly I am doing something wrong to have Sooo much brake component life left.

Ps , most of this post is in sarcasm .
I saw a post on FB where a guy needed brakes at 18k... I don't get it. We have pretty long lasting brakes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bought my tundra in 2015. Getting brakes inspected today. Still original at 74,000 miles. Suggestions for aftermarket brakes?

·
Registered
13,618 Posts
Bought my tundra in 2015. Getting brakes inspected today. Still original at 74,000 miles. Suggestions for aftermarket brakes?
To be honest, I really don't know whats best out there, as I have not had to do brakes on a vehicle since about 2003... I haven't had a vehicle need brakes since then.

A lot of guys go with powerstop, and I see their kits @ Rockauto.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, after brake inspection, looks like I am still good for another 10-20K miles on the original pads. So probably will just go back to the OEM pads since 90,000 per set seems fine. I tend to run my Toyotas up to around 200,000 miles but this one may go past that as I love my non flex fuel engine and suspension in this rig.

Powertechn2, do you tend to trade before needing to do brakes? Just curious how many miles you are getting on a set.

·
Registered
13,618 Posts
Powertechn2, do you tend to trade before needing to do brakes? Just curious how many miles you are getting on a set.
Yes. Didn't mean to last time, had some issues with a dealer so I traded up at a good deal.

My last tundra had 46ish k miles, was a 2010, bought in Aug of 2010, traded in Dec 2016 on my 17, which now has 18k miles.

Fj before was around the same mileage, but a 2007 bought in fall of 2016.

Those are the highest mileage I have acquired while owning a single vehicle.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have had great success with Wagner Thermoquiet pads. I have used them on several tundra's and F-150's and they work great.

Im about to try those pads on the rear of my sons 06 ram cummins . The rear squeaks like a mutha brotha despite rotors / calipers and Napa fleet pads in good condition .
Arrrg.

·
Registered
13,618 Posts
Im about to try those pads on the rear of my sons 06 ram cummins . The rear squeaks like a mutha brotha despite rotors / calipers and Napa fleet pads in good condition .
Arrrg.
If the Ram is anything like the Liberty from that era that had the same issue, check the slides. I had to smooth/reshape the pad tabs so they would actually slide freely, they were sticking and squeaking before I did that and had shortened life from dragging.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the Ram is anything like the Liberty from that era that had the same issue, check the slides. I had to smooth/reshape the pad tabs so they would actually slide freely, they were sticking and squeaking before I did that and had shortened life from dragging.
Yep ! Would not be the first time a lil bit of filing to get proper fitment was nessasary BUT did not know it could cause squeaking . Thank you sir !

·
Registered
158 Posts
With longer lasting pads they have a harder surface and will increase the wear on the rotors. Cheaper to replace the pads more often.

My father used to get 12,000 miles on the brakes with his Vovlo which he could not understand. Having been a passenger and watched him wait until the very last minute to take his foot off the accelerator and then slam on the brakes, the short brake life was no mystery to me. When I am exiting the freeway in an exit only lane I will start to coast and am at about 45-50 mph when I need to start applying the brakes. Most people I see exiting at 70 plus MPH and then having to brake much harder to come to a stop. Guess whose brake pads last longer.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have owned two tundras and about to buy my third 2020 soon. I had continual issues with warped rotors and I don't feel I am have heavy footed on the brake pedal or have excessive hill stops. I have never been happy with Tundra brakes but have expressed my opinion before with some negative feedback so I am not sure if it is Tundra or me causing the issue.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have people passing buy me at a darn good rate on the way to a RED light . Im like they will be the first to whine about brake life and front tire wearing badly .

Folks are spoiled by the good suspension and great brakes on modern vehicles .

Give them a heavy older car with 4 wheel drums and see how they make out . lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts