Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a question? While I’m driving through town doing the speed limit around 45, 50 or so after, My truck has shifted through all its gears I come to hill and you know slightly giving it some gas just enough gas to where it doesn’t shift down. I hear like some valve tapping or kinda sounds like a standard truck does when you need to shift down to get power. But it comes from the valves at least I think it does. I was wondering if that was normal my truck only has 13,000 miles on it. Got it brand new And I love it. First time having a tundra I love the power of it and the torque. I also feel like this is normal because it’s a big block.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have a '19 that's noisier than most trucks that I've noticed.. I've had several low mileage/new Toyotas now I think they make a noisy v6/v8.

·
Registered
737 Posts
that super tin 0-20W oil may be responsible for the noises...
Perhaps , but i run 5-30 synth oil year round . Yes i know i may go to H ell for that but so be it . .

*********** Saw a UTube video a guy used genuine mother Toyota branded oil 0-20 and the engine was MUCH quieter . This was Utube so your results may vary .

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
VVT with 0-20 is noisy. Quaker State 0-20 is less noisy than Mobil 1 and is rated higher in most wear tests. That is what I run.

Put a tank of premium through it. You maybe hear some spark knock. The 5.7 pulls a lot of timing on 87.

·
Registered
737 Posts
VVT with 0-20 is noisy. Quaker State 0-20 is less noisy than Mobil 1 and is rated higher in most wear tests. That is what I run.

Put a tank of premium through it. You maybe hear some spark knock. The 5.7 pulls a lot of timing on 87.

All true and good points to bring up. Thank you

Mobil 1 is great oil BUT its one of the more noisey oils for this engine from personal exp.

on 87 regular the computer DOES pull timing but the engine runs good. Mine runs a tad better on mid grade because of this. Admittedly i run ALLOT of regular grade swill thru it though .

·
Registered
108 Posts
Install a performance exhaust, like the TRD dual system, and you wont hear those ticking sounds. But yes, maybe try some higher octane and see if it changes anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys this helps a lot. I’m running 93 premium in it right now. I can tell a difference in the gas. And the Toyota dealer changes my oil. And yes I have been thinking about putting exhaust on it. But I don’t know which one is the best any ideas. I was thinking about that B&a exhaust system.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Thanks guys this helps a lot. I’m running 93 premium in it right now. I can tell a difference in the gas. And the Toyota dealer changes my oil. And yes I have been thinking about putting exhaust on it. But I don’t know which one is the best any ideas. I was thinking about that B&a exhaust system.
This engine is the King of DRONE at certain speeds .

Be carefull when choosing aftermarket systems.

good luck sir

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Only one option (or at least the best) for Tundra exhaust..
@dirtydeeds

http://dirtydeedsindustries.com/

I have single out 10" with Keith's Helmholtz resonator that I'm very happy with..

Literally bolts on to your existing OEM exhaust, replaces the muffler.
You'll just need to drill a hole to mount the resonator..

Give him a call and discuss your needs and wants..

Phone: 760-877-4234 | M-F 9am-5pm PST
Email: [email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts