Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I switched out the OEM steel wheels from some nice alloys soon after I bought my 2018 Tundra 4x4 ~3 months ago, and my TPMS system has been throwing an error code ever since. The sensors had to be changed with the switch from steel to alloy, and with with alloy sensors on backorder with Toyota, I had no choice but to let Discount Tire put theirs in. After spending some time trying to figure out why the system wasn't working, they told me to take the truck to the dealer (huh?). After doing some research, I'm told that Bartec, the company that manufactures the TPMS tool the big chain uses, is currently working on an update for the tools to work with the new Tundra TPMS. Just called Discount Tire, and got the same "call back in a couple of weeks" answer I got before. Has anyone found a solution for this, or are we stuck driving around with a big yellow error light on the dash and no TPMS indefinitely? Seems like slow progress, given that manufactuerers make TPMS changes regularly that require these updates. I was a bit surprised that DT was so clueless on this, and that they sent me to figure out the issue...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would love to know if this was resolved. I am about to order wheels and tires with TPMS included from extreme customs and I would like to know if I will have issues with the TPMS. 2018 Tundra CM 4X4 Limited.

·
Registered
13,570 Posts
As much as I love DT, and DTD, they suck for tpms issues.

Have seen them cause this issue before, even on trucks that weren't brand new out.

Likely a dealer can get the sensors to program properly with the ecu, and issues will be gone, but will have a labor charge.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I switched out the OEM steel wheels from some nice alloys soon after I bought my 2018 Tundra 4x4 ~3 months ago, and my TPMS system has been throwing an error code ever since. The sensors had to be changed with the switch from steel to alloy, and with with alloy sensors on backorder with Toyota, I had no choice but to let Discount Tire put theirs in. After spending some time trying to figure out why the system wasn't working, they told me to take the truck to the dealer (huh?). After doing some research, I'm told that Bartec, the company that manufactures the TPMS tool the big chain uses, is currently working on an update for the tools to work with the new Tundra TPMS. Just called Discount Tire, and got the same "call back in a couple of weeks" answer I got before. Has anyone found a solution for this, or are we stuck driving around with a big yellow error light on the dash and no TPMS indefinitely? Seems like slow progress, given that manufactuerers make TPMS changes regularly that require these updates. I was a bit surprised that DT was so clueless on this, and that they sent me to figure out the issue...
I am no expert, but I understand that the TPMS IDs for the 2018's has an added digit, so third party vendors for models 2017 and earlier will not work.. My suggestion is to go online and do an online chat at the Tirerack site. I had multiple questions about the fit of sensors etc with some wheels I was looking into.. I clicked the chat session icon to ask the questions. The rep that discussed the TPMS sensors was very knowledgeable, and helped me quite a bit. Just a thought.

Oh (and this isnt a question for tirerack that sells TPMS sensors) but you might look into re-using the sensors that came with your steel wheels. When I had my wheels installed I talked to the tire shop owner. He stated that they can be re-used, and they do it every day.. This is in opposition to what I had been told previously..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spoke with Bartech today. They make the TPMS scanners Discount tire uses. They are expecting to announce an update for the '18 Tundra by late next week. I plan to contact DT week after next to get the TPMS linked up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I spoke to Extreme Customs & Offroad yesterday. I had ordered a complete rim and tire package including new TPMS installed on all wheels. They called me immediately to tell me that the sensors would not be compatible with a 2018 Tundra. They said that they use several different TPMS sensors depending on the vehicle, but none of them are compatible with the new Tundra. Something about there is not software currently available to support it. It sounds like you heard the same thing from Bartec.

So I cancelled my order and re-ordered just the rims and tires separately. That saved me about $200. But the Toyota dealer said they would switch over my OEM TPMS into my new wheels for about $200. So I guess it is a wash. I asked the dealer if it would be cheaper to buy new OEM sensors for my new wheels and they said $200 per wheel.

I hope that this info helps someone in the same situation.

Does any one know if there will be issues with the OEM valve stem angle when I move them over to my new XD 818 Heist Wheels 20x9?

I suppose my other option is to stare at my new rims and tires sitting in my garage until Bartec fixes the software so that I can use aftermarket TPMS.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2018 Tundra Tacoma TPMS Problem

As of ~ a month ago, when I bought tires for the Wife's 4Runner, Discount Tire suggested I bring my Tundra back and try again-no luck. The mamanger said he had heard of disconnecting the battery for an hour or more working, so I tried that. Again-no luck. He also said something curious: "some people don't mind that light being on". Well, after several months, I can say I don't pay much attention to it, but I did pay DT for 4 new TPMS, and I expect them to work. I just called Bartec a 3rd time, and was told by their very professional CS rep, Lisa, that they "don't know if the update for the 2018 Tundra or Tacoma trucks will be on the next update, or the one after that". She promised to email results of further research. In the mean time, I just posted the following to the DT Facebook page. Hopefully I'll get a IM soon. After 6 months, i want my money back:
"I purchased a set of TPMS sensors from my local Discount Tire store in October of last year, in conjunction with a set of aftermarket tires and wheels for my 2018 Tundra. The TPMS system has not worked since. The store manager's comments weere that there was nothing he could do, and I should take the truck to the dealer and pay them to sort it out. Really? I've called your TPMS tool maker, Bartec, 3 times now, including today. They told me a week or two two months ago, but as of today, they don't know "if the 2018 Tundras or Tacomas will be on the next update, or the one after that". I have driven my Tundra back to two different DT stores, attempting to resolve the issue. It's been six months since DT charged me to install a set of new TPMS sensors, and there's still no end date. I think a refund is past due."

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any resolution on this problem? In the same boat.

THanks

Phil
DT did refund the $200 plus I paid for the TPMS sensors. I'll ask next time I'm in there for tires, and will try and remember to post here when I do finally locate the update. I don't mind checking air with a guage. I do it regularly on my motorcycles & have a compressor. I'll admit that I do like being able to look at the dash and see a psi reading for each corner, though. I get that tech sometimes takes time...but they shouldn't be charging folks $200+ for sensors that don't work, without mentioning they can't sync them. I mean, tires/wheels are all they do....you'd think they may have a clue... ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
It could just be the battery and the sensor can be reset with the tool. The sensor came up on my xterra after changing tires I had it reset but it came on so after checking the pressure electrical tape helped the issue by covering it up because changing a tiny battery cost too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
It could just be the battery and the sensor can be reset with the tool. The sensor came up on my xterra after changing tires I had it reset but it came on so after checking the pressure electrical tape helped the issue by covering it up because changing a tiny battery cost too much.

Being that the truck is new, I would doubt that might be an issue, but you never know.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Being that the truck is new, I would doubt that might be an issue, but you never know.

Even being new anytime you switch wheels or sensors. Could have been done wrong and then not programmed. Most tire shops reset them for free.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Back from the dead. Its now November 2018... Anyone have any luck getting aftermarket TPMS programed to work with a 2018 Tundra??

Thanks

Phil

·
Registered
158 Posts
The Toyota sensors use a special 315 mhz frequency and the ones from the tire shops are not compatible. I bought Pacific Industrial Corp. sensors for my 2007 Prius when one of more of the factory sensors died. Tire shop charged $50 a wheel to install them which was a rip-off but less than the Toyota dealer wanted.

www.wheelsandcaps.com

·
Registered
60 Posts
**Update**

Had any 2018 Tundra with aftermarket TPMS for my Method wheels. The software is now available to reprogram these sensors. Dealer had to break the bead to get the programer to read the sensors.

So after almost a year for me there is no more light on the dash for tire pressure. The sensors are broadcasting the tire pressure to the instrument cluster, reading pressure and on my Kenwood Deck we have pressure and temp.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi..do you recall what dealer charged?...just installed some fuel assault with Toyo tires and sensor light just came on. I’m sure I need to have dealer register new sensors.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts