Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased a 2018 Tundra in March of 2018, and the lower portion of the body panels on both sides are starting to bubble off from the panels in several places; the paint is actually separating from the panel in fairly large1-1/2" diameter bubbles. I read an earlier post that there is a gravel guard under the paint that gives a rough finish to the bottom of the panels, but this is a paint problem. As of Jun 3 2021 the truck has 39000 miles on it and is still under warranty. I am arranging to see the Toyota dealership this week, but has anyone else had this paint problem?
1622905701517.jpeg

·
Registered
397 Posts
It’s a stone guard applied at the factory. My truck has it the entire length on both sides. You probably just never noticed it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s a stone guard applied at the factory. My truck has it the entire length on both sides. You probably just never noticed it
No, these are larger air-filled bubbles of paint completely lifting off 1/8' to 3/16"" from the panel. I'm aware of the stoneguard, but this is paint that is lifting off of the stoneguard and underlying panel. I originally noticed the stoneguard, with the slight orange-peel effect, but this bubbling in several areas that has recently shown up and seems to be from failed paint adhesion.

·
Registered
397 Posts
No, these are larger air-filled bubbles of paint completely lifting off 1/8' to 3/16"" from the panel. I'm aware of the stoneguard, but this is paint that is lifting off of the stoneguard and underlying panel. I originally noticed the stoneguard, with the slight orange-peel effect, but this bubbling in several areas that has recently shown up and seems to be from failed paint adhesion.
Then take it in?

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
At first it looked like the stone-guard, which catches a lot of people off guard.

That does indeed look like peeling paint.

Do you use a powerwasher and get close to get the dirt off the rough stone-guard area?

I only ask as the bubble I see has what appears to be two holes towards the top. A rock chip, then hit with high pressure a little too close can cause the paint to do that. Normally it just starts peeling, but I could see it blistering instead over time if it holds the moisture in.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Post your findings after you talk with the dealership if you would... I'm interested in what's causing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts