Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm a long time Toyota owner, although never a Tundra. I love to work on cars/trucks...maintenance, repairs, diagnosis. We had my wife's Rav4 in the shop for a week for new pistons/rings (oil consumption) and they gave us a loaner. The SA offered me a Tundra and I was thrilled (SR5 OR). After living with it for a week, I'm trading in my Subaru for a 2018 Platinum. My wife, kids, and I all got used to flexibility and lifestyle that a truck offers. I'm going to take care of the Line X, tonneau, sway bar, etc on my own after the truck arrives. Going to the dealer today to make the purchase. Could be several weeks or a month before they get it in stock. The dealer has the exact platinum 2018 on the lot that I'm looking for, but they already sold it.

Looking forward to learning and contributing on the community.

Jason

·
Registered
40 Posts
Welcome! I'm currently waiting on a 2018 CM Limited in cement to arrive. Dealer could only tell me sometime in September.....waiting sucks...already have an ever growing pile of goodies for her when she gets here!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly! The waiting is the worst part. Limited looks super nice. I like the cement also. I've found sparksparts to offer good prices on accessories (if it helps). I'm picking up the TRD rear sway bar from there for about $100 under what Toyota wanted for it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Exactly! The waiting is the worst part. Limited looks super nice. I like the cement also. I've found sparksparts to offer good prices on accessories (if it helps). I'm picking up the TRD rear sway bar from there for about $100 under what Toyota wanted for it.
I've done most of my accessory shopping with Roman at Toyota of Cool Springs for the most part on another tundra forum. Low prices and they custom paint Toyota parts to match. So far have the color matched cement door handles and mirror covers coming. Lots of other upgrades coming in the near future!

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Jason,

Give us the specs on what you're ordering!!! What color mainly lol.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha, went to the dealer to look at colors. Went in thinking (1) silver, (2) grey, (3) black. After seeing them in person, decided to flip em, and chose black. Looks sick and my wife loves black vehicles. I hesitated because black gets dirty, but a buddy of mine said it best - it's a truck, it's supposed to be dirty! Lol

As for options, the only thing I'm ordering with the Platinum through Toyota are the running boards. Still struggling to decide between the brushed stainless steel stepboards and the chrome or black tubesteps. It is obviously a personal decision and I may end up waiting for it to show up before deciding, but any opinions would be appreciated.

My immediate list once I'm driving it are trd rear sway, line X spray in, extang solid fold 2.0 tonneau, and husky liners.

Later on, I'll decide if I want the trd or another exhaust, and upgraded brakes.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Welcome and congratulations!! Im hooked on the 2018 Platinum Black too but have to wait.

I bought a used set of OEM brushed stainless running boards for my 2012 and love them. The winters they really keep all the junk under the truck and are not slick when wet, the tubed step one i had before before I slipped off a lot and they would get all balled up with snow and ice.
Please share pictures when you get it home!!

Black is easy to take care of once you know what your need to do.(plenty of how too vids)

Reactions: dbooch and jds685

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For sure, will do! Out of curiosity, do the OE stainless running boards stick out enough to prevent the neighboring car from opening their door into the truck? Meaning, will a Camry door hit the boards first, or hit the truck first?

Thanks for the feedback on that, super helpful!

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Don't add chrome!!!! :D

I like the brushed steps. Think that's the route I would go if I had to do it again. I have the Amp powersteps on mine now but they make all type of racket when opening and closing. Kind of tired hearing that every time I open a door. For the Tundra, they aren't soft open/close like they are for their OE applications such as Ford or Ram. They're cool, but idk. First world problems.

The 218 Attitude Black is cool because it's only available on Platinums. Really pretty color. Yea, it's going to show dirt and swirl probably stupid easy, but all good. It'll look great when clean and you can add some black wheels or something and you'll get the full blacked out look which is cool.

Think I'm going to do Pro suspension and Pro wheels with 275/70 tires on my Platinum if/when I get it. I'm either going to do silver or black. Silver is my favorite, but my 2014 and 2016 have both been silver and I'm kind of tired of looking at it honestly. Only bad thing about the Platinum 218 Attitude Black is you can't buy color matched door handles or mirror cap covers direct from Toyota. Going to have to have someone like Roman with Cool Springs Toyota have them painted to 218 paint code. That's the only down side though.

Reactions: jds685

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
For sure, will do! Out of curiosity, do the OE stainless running boards stick out enough to prevent the neighboring car from opening their door into the truck? Meaning, will a Camry door hit the boards first, or hit the truck first?

Thanks for the feedback on that, super helpful!
Dont know, But here is a pic for you to judge.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Front headlights are very nice....I am jealous.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
I'm afraid they will look just like the GMC.
I like the GMC but would rather ours be unique.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm afraid they will look just like the GMC.
I like the GMC but would rather ours be unique.
In regards to the LED DRL, I think 2014-2017 Platinum / 1794 are the best looking on the market. I like the one strip of lights. I have really not seen how the 2018 DRL looks.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
I like what I've seen on the 2018 Sequoia.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Dont look bad at all. My wife is already shaking here head "not till the 2012 is paid off" LOL0:)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.