Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Will the 2017 CAI fit on a 2018 Tundra?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Tundra already comes stock with "CAI."
Pulls cold air from the wheel well, filters it and delivers it to the engine. What will an aftermarket system do that the stock system will not?

Steve

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doing some research, sounds like it adds some torque and HP according to the dyno tests, ad it looks cool

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I would just do a washable replacement filter for the stock box, unless you are after the noise of the intake.
Yep. Been doing some research and the dry Aem or aFe filters look the best. I'd stay away from K&N if you will be in dirt.

Someone mentioned that you can buy just the little intake snorkel also.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Doing some research, sounds like it adds some torque and HP according to the dyno tests, ad it looks cool
The alleged torque and HP gains can be had for less $$$ with a new filter and the airbox mod.

The chicks can't even see your fancy CAI unless your hood is popped, and I seriously doubt they'd be impressed.... >:D

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
All research and experiences on this sight say only trd works and only a little bit aftermarkets suck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tundra dude 34 on you toob made a short vid on the TRD Pro CAI. He said that to save a few bucks use the fender to air box adapter and keep the stock air box. admit the TRD Pro exhaust does sound sweet.....heh.....dang retirement has it limitations....:(

·
Registered
326 Posts
Most of the gains that CAI manufacturers claim are not at peak power output. Some aftermarket intakes will actually decrease peak power output.

Imo, your money is better spend elsewhere.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
48 Posts
I always laugh when this question comes up. Do what you want to YOUR truck. Mine is on order and I can't wait to install it so everyone will know just how much money I've wasted on it. The TRD swaybar and +2 shackles are also another clear waste of money that I've done to my truck recently. After break in, I also switched over to Amsoil and can't decide if I'm gonna stick with 5k miles changes or roll it on out to 10k. Next week, I think I will waste some money on some Ridge Grapplers and maybe some Fuel wheels. You should check out some of the posts where people have wasted money on those Diamondback tonneau covers. They look good. I think I will waste some money on one of them after the wheels and tires.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
You should check out some of the posts where people have wasted money on those Diamondback tonneau covers. They look good. I think I will waste some money on one of them after the wheels and tires.
He may be talking about me.>:D

Reactions: SeanScott

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I always laugh when this question comes up. Do what you want to YOUR truck. Mine is on order and I can't wait to install it so everyone will know just how much money I've wasted on it. The TRD swaybar and +2 shackles are also another clear waste of money that I've done to my truck recently. After break in, I also switched over to Amsoil and can't decide if I'm gonna stick with 5k miles changes or roll it on out to 10k. Next week, I think I will waste some money on some Ridge Grapplers and maybe some Fuel wheels. You should check out some of the posts where people have wasted money on those Diamondback tonneau covers. They look good. I think I will waste some money on one of them after the wheels and tires.
I agree 100% with what you're saying, do what you want, its your truck and your money. However, I will say this: On this forum, if someone says "Hey, don't do a CAI, its a waste of money", they aren't trying to tell you how to live your life, they're trying to help you not waste money on something that 9 times out of 10 will either do absolutely nothing for your truck, or even worse, degrade the performance of your truck. It's not about telling people what to do with their money, its about helping a fellow Tundra brother or sister out, so that they can spend that money on something that might be more useful to the truck owner, like the TRD swaybar you mentioned, or a set of 5100's or something. For the same price as a mid level CAI that will lower my gas mileage and screw with my torque curve, I can toss 5100's on my truck, do the SABM, and still have money left over. One of the best parts of this forum is that for just about anything you can dream of doing to your truck, someone on here has "been there, done that". So when the advice comes in to go one way or the other, its not them being petty, its them speaking from experience.

·
Registered
48 Posts
He may be talking about me.>:D
Exactly. They look awesome on these trucks and I fully intend to slap one on mine one day. You have a sweet looking ride by the way. How are you liking the '18 so far?

Reactions: riccnick

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree 100% with what you're saying, do what you want, its your truck and your money. However, I will say this: On this forum, if someone says "Hey, don't do a CAI, its a waste of money", they aren't trying to tell you how to live your life, they're trying to help you not waste money on something that 9 times out of 10 will either do absolutely nothing for your truck, or even worse, degrade the performance of your truck. It's not about telling people what to do with their money, its about helping a fellow Tundra brother or sister out, so that they can spend that money on something that might be more useful to the truck owner, like the TRD swaybar you mentioned, or a set of 5100's or something. For the same price as a mid level CAI that will lower my gas mileage and screw with my torque curve, I can toss 5100's on my truck, do the SABM, and still have money left over. One of the best parts of this forum is that for just about anything you can dream of doing to your truck, someone on here has "been there, done that". So when the advice comes in to go one way or the other, its not them being petty, its them speaking from experience.
I get it. But, this is my 4th Tundra, so I have a little experience with them too. That knee-jerk reaction that is so prevalent, on this forum in particular, to brow beat someone on their choice of mods is is unreal. I have several different vehicles and am part of several different forums. This one, by far, houses the largest number of "those people". I love this forum and have gotten a lot of great knowledge from here. And, for the most part everyone on here is great. The guy didn't ask what he would gain from doing the TRD CAI. He asked "will the 2017 CAI fit on a 2018"?. Simple answer is, no one knows yet. It probably will but nobody can say YES with any certainty.
A lot of people are in to that swapping out the headlights thing to the 2018 version. I don't understand it and cannot imagine spending $800 or more to do that. It's headlights for God's sake. But, it's not my truck and I generally tend to think that it looks good when they are done. And , I let them know that I think it looks good and never tell them what a waste of money they just went through. Because in my eyes it's their truck and they spend their money wherever they choose. I also don't understand the desire to cram the biggest tires you can find under these trucks. And this is a mod that sometime requires the person to chop the body mount and/or do a gear swap. A lot of people don't understand why I bought a pro and will probably never leave the pavement.
Listen, I didn't post that to try and start a pissing match with people on here and if it upset anyone: I'm sorry. If he would've asked "how long will my tires last after I put this sweet ass intake on"? Sure. Tell him that he won't net that sort of a gain from that intake. But, he just wanted to know if it would fit, which means that he wanted to put that intake on his truck. But let's be honest, even though a set of 5100's are in the same price range as the intake, it's a completely different mod. For the price of some of these tonneau's out now, you could buy a set of Kings, but the end result would be a little different.
So, I understand what you are saying. But, I feel like some people just see "TRD CAI" and the race is on to be the first one to respond with the cookie cutter response of it being a waste of money. You're right though. This forum is a great source of info and has helped a lot of people out.
You guys/gals have a great weekend. I think we are about to take our new Tundra to Durango, CO for the weekend and see how she does in the mountains. My wife got the first trip in her new Sienna but I hit her with the idea that there may be snow up there now and we may need to be in the truck.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I get it. But, this is my 4th Tundra, so I have a little experience with them too. That knee-jerk reaction that is so prevalent, on this forum in particular, to brow beat someone on their choice of mods is is unreal. I have several different vehicles and am part of several different forums. This one, by far, houses the largest number of "those people". I love this forum and have gotten a lot of great knowledge from here. And, for the most part everyone on here is great. The guy didn't ask what he would gain from doing the TRD CAI. He asked "will the 2017 CAI fit on a 2018"?. Simple answer is, no one knows yet. It probably will but nobody can say YES with any certainty.
A lot of people are in to that swapping out the headlights thing to the 2018 version. I don't understand it and cannot imagine spending $800 or more to do that. It's headlights for God's sake. But, it's not my truck and I generally tend to think that it looks good when they are done. And , I let them know that I think it looks good and never tell them what a waste of money they just went through. Because in my eyes it's their truck and they spend their money wherever they choose. I also don't understand the desire to cram the biggest tires you can find under these trucks. And this is a mod that sometime requires the person to chop the body mount and/or do a gear swap. A lot of people don't understand why I bought a pro and will probably never leave the pavement.
Listen, I didn't post that to try and start a pissing match with people on here and if it upset anyone: I'm sorry. If he would've asked "how long will my tires last after I put this sweet ass intake on"? Sure. Tell him that he won't net that sort of a gain from that intake. But, he just wanted to know if it would fit, which means that he wanted to put that intake on his truck. But let's be honest, even though a set of 5100's are in the same price range as the intake, it's a completely different mod. For the price of some of these tonneau's out now, you could buy a set of Kings, but the end result would be a little different.
So, I understand what you are saying. But, I feel like some people just see "TRD CAI" and the race is on to be the first one to respond with the cookie cutter response of it being a waste of money. You're right though. This forum is a great source of info and has helped a lot of people out.
You guys/gals have a great weekend. I think we are about to take our new Tundra to Durango, CO for the weekend and see how she does in the mountains. My wife got the first trip in her new Sienna but I hit her with the idea that there may be snow up there now and we may need to be in the truck.
It's all good man, no pissing match here either, I'm just having a convo with ya, and I didn't think what you said was trying to piss anyone off or anything like that. Not why I quoted ya at all.

My point was that I didn't think there was any brow beating going on at all. People were inquiring why the OP wanted the intake, and he mentioned increased HP and Torque numbers. Most likely he has an '18 and the parts catalogs online haven't caught up yet and only list '17's. I can guarantee it will fit, there were no changes made under the hood from 2017 to 2018.

I guess I saw that you were new and was trying to say "hey, give us a chance around here, nobody is trying to brow beat anyone" . If you've seen it elsewhere on the forum that's another story though. I will say, CAI's tend to trigger people along with the towing discussions and things related to payload. But hey, its a community effort of people trying to help, not insult. At least that's the way I see it. Its easy with cold air intakes though, they just straight up don't perform on the Tundra. It's not subjective anymore, the testing has been done, and unless you like the noise, there's no reason to get one. If you do like the noise, then rock on with ya bad self! >:D

Anyway's, enjoy your trip! The Tundra makes an awesome road trip vehicle! :cool:

Reactions: SeanScott

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Exactly. They look awesome on these trucks and I fully intend to slap one on mine one day. You have a sweet looking ride by the way. How are you liking the '18 so far?
I'm loving most everything.
I'm having an issue with my Pre Collision Sensor.
It turns itself off occasionally forcing me to restart the truck.
The JBL Premium stereo sucks balls also.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's all good man, no pissing match here either, I'm just having a convo with ya, and I didn't think what you said was trying to piss anyone off or anything like that. Not why I quoted ya at all.

My point was that I didn't think there was any brow beating going on at all. People were inquiring why the OP wanted the intake, and he mentioned increased HP and Torque numbers. Most likely he has an '18 and the parts catalogs online haven't caught up yet and only list '17's. I can guarantee it will fit, there were no changes made under the hood from 2017 to 2018.

I guess I saw that you were new and was trying to say "hey, give us a chance around here, nobody is trying to brow beat anyone" . If you've seen it elsewhere on the forum that's another story though. I will say, CAI's tend to trigger people along with the towing discussions and things related to payload. But hey, its a community effort of people trying to help, not insult. At least that's the way I see it. Its easy with cold air intakes though, they just straight up don't perform on the Tundra. It's not subjective anymore, the testing has been done, and unless you like the noise, there's no reason to get one. If you do like the noise, then rock on with ya bad self! >:D

Anyway's, enjoy your trip! The Tundra makes an awesome road trip vehicle! :cool:
I hear ya buddy, and I appreciate the back and forth. I completely agree that the intake, from a performance point of view, is a flop. Honestly, I ordered mine for the look under the hood. I have read enough on here to know that it is a mod that won't net you a noticeable gain other than the appearance under the hood. I had it on my '14 for the appearance under the hood too. Made that Corsa exhaust a little throatier too. At least in my head it did. I agree that it will fit the 18 as well, but with the catalogs not being caught up, that's why I said that.

Anyways, yeah I had an account back in the day on here but then I sold that truck like a ding bat. Then when I got this one, naturally I couldn't remember the login info for the old account. Oh well, side effect of getting older I suppose :D.

We are excited about the trip. I haven't had the opportunity to do much roadtrippin in this one after we got my wife the Sienna. She wants to go everywhere in that thing. It is pretty nice but I am ready to put the truck to work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm loving most everything.
I'm having an issue with my Pre Collision Sensor.
It turns itself off occasionally forcing me to restart the truck.
The JBL Premium stereo sucks balls also.
Has the dealership provided any solution to that problem with the sensors?
Man, I thought that JBL was supposed to be pretty good. Mine has the basic of the basic in it so I am already starting my research on what to do to correct that little problem. Funny thing is my Duramax has the Bose stuff in it and it actually sounds pretty good but I never even turn it on because I love to listen to that turbo whistle through the straight pipe. This one, I want the radio on all of the time. Such is life I guess.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CAI is ordered, it it doesnt fit I will return it. Thanks Tundra Dude 34 for a discount code!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.