Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ordered a set of bed lights for my 2018 tundra. Wiring is different from what is included in the instructions. Does anyone have a 2018 with bed lights that could tell me what wire they are connected to or anyone done any digging in the wiring to know which wire controls the cab light. Thanks.

added pictures. first is from the instructions included with kit. second is wiring from the truck

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
For my 2012, if you pull off the rear drivers side door sill protector, you'll see a bundle of wires in there. The smallest brown wire was the one for the cab lights. I think in 2014, that wire color changed to maybe purple but it's still the smallest wire in there.

I'm not sure if the 2018's are different or not but you should still be able to find it in the rear drivers side door sill. You'll also find an access hole underneath that bundle of wires to make running wiring to the bed a lot easier.

I have a write-up on here when I did mine and after 5 years, they are still going strong with no issues at all. I also put lights underneath to shine where the step bars are.

Reactions: dcooke

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
I was told by Amp Industries that the wiring colors “may have changed” in 2018. I was inquiring about the PowerStep and wanted to order the 2017 but was warned about the differences. I am looking at purchasing a FSM but afraid to find out the cost on that

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks dad, I'll check it out and see how it goes. Will be a couple days before I can get to it but will post results.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
There are many different lights out there for the bed that have a drastic range in price. I would like to hear from those who already have them to find out which are the good sets. Obviously brightness is what it is all about. Any real time stories we can learn from?

I was thinking about a strip set from Amazon perhaps, and wire it up to a small switch at the tailgate to a relay then to the battery. Some of these kits are getting up there in price so I was just trying to find the best kit. If there are kits that work just fine then I will go that route.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I did my bed and the under the area where the step bars are for around $35. I ordered two 16 ft rolls of LED lights off of Amazon and tapped them into the cargo light wiring. It took me at most 2.5 hours to do it all. Please, please, please add a fusible link to you're wiring. You would not like the outcome of burned wires if you don't add the fusible link.

You don't really have to add a switch to the tailgate if you don't want to. Once you tap into the cargo light wiring, you can use the cargo lamp switch to turn it off and on, or it'll come on when you open your doors and also unlocking the doors with the keyfob.

I have a write-up in the links below. If you need any other help, let me know.

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-lighting-electrical/151506-led-step-bar-lighting.html
http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-lighting-electrical/510586-cargo-light-wire-door-sill.html

Reactions: Les_Paul
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.